• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military?

crease

Reaction score
I know this might be the wrong place to be asking this, but since there's so many people here I thought I'd give it a shot.

Does anyone here have any experience with the military?

I'm beginning to evaluate whether I will decide to enlist after I graduate. Either in JAG or the air force.

Thanks.

jkennett

Reaction score
You're a Canadian? I've heard that you have a better chance of getting into the U.S. JAG if you already have your law degree. Probably not on the top of most lawyers "to do" lists. Not sure about how Canadian military works though. I have no military experience, so I'll let someone else chime in.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crease
I know this might be the wrong place to be asking this, but since there's so many people here I thought I'd give it a shot. Does anyone here have any experience with the military? I'm beginning to evaluate whether I will decide to enlist after I graduate. Either in JAG or the air force. Thanks.
Yes, I do. My advice is never, ever, volunteer for anything, no matter how good they make it sound.

crease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Yes, I do. My advice is never, ever, volunteer for anything, no matter how good they make it sound.

Not really sure what you're trying to get at.

First, you don't actually volunteer for the military -- you get paid.

Second, I hope you were kidding about never volunteering for anything.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's one of those things you should only try if you have some kind of passion for it. You gotta realize the military owns your ass during the duration of your service. You're going to go where they want you to go, and do what they want you to do. Your passion should be to serve, because Uncle Sam takes more from you than you will ever get from him.

If going in as an officer, there's a slim chance you'll get selected for the job you want. Unlike enlistment, you don't sing on with a contract for a MOS. It's 'the needs of the army,' buddy. Where they branch you really has little to do with your preference, and even less to do with your merit-based performance. The armed services like to spread around the talent of the officer corps, so being a PT beast and having superior marks can often work against you. Back when I was considering applying to the academies and ROTC, the lack of choice in career direction was the deal-breaker for me. I wasn't about to put the time in only to be branched to some lame quatermaster post, or even worse have them place me in some accounting department after seeing my affinity for math.

No offense to anyone in those positions- they all play a vital part- it just wouldn't be for me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crease
I know this might be the wrong place to be asking this, but since there's so many people here I thought I'd give it a shot.

Does anyone here have any experience with the military?

I'm beginning to evaluate whether I will decide to enlist after I graduate. Either in JAG or the air force.

Thanks.

I haven't myself, but a few names come to mind when I think of military service here... but the main one is globetrotter.

jkennett

Reaction score
Globetrotter? He was some sort of special forces ninja assassin from what I've gathered. Not sure for which country though. Israel?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Globetrotter? He was some sort of special forces ninja assassin from what I've gathered. Not sure for which country though. Israel?

LOL I read this in the I saw a guy get stabbed thread.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I was in the army at the time.

also, I saw the aftermath of 5 or 6 suicide bombs. some of which were pretty nasty.

So it came to mind

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pennglock, how long ago were you looking at ROTC? These days, at least from what I've heard, there's a little more flexibility with assignments after your commission.

As of right now I'm in the Army Reserve as a 35F (Intel Analyst). All the sources I've talked to tell me I'll be able to stay in the Intel field if I decide to do ROTC and go officer. Granted, for me it may be my clearance which would give me a bit of leverage, but starting out enlisted and getting MOS-qualified allows an officer candidate more options in determining their career path.

Oh, and crease, don't go Chair Force.
tongue.gif

I kid, it's great for you to be considering serving at this time, in any branch.
thumbs-up.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the U.S., it's not a viable option any more. Getting shot in Iraq is not my idea of a promising career.

You're a Canadian? I've heard that you have a better chance of getting into the U.S. JAG if you already have your law degree. Probably not on the top of most lawyers "to do" lists. Not sure about how Canadian military works though. I have no military experience, so I'll let someone else chime in.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this works in Canada, but you wouldn't "enlist" in the JAG (lawyer) corps; you'd be commissioned there after you finished law school (B.A., plus three years grad school in the US, much shorter in Canada). Each military branch has its own JAG corps. It is competitive to get such a position.

"Enlisting" makes you an enlisted person. ROTC makes you an officer.

Go to college. If you want to join the military then, seek out ROTC and become an officer.

If you're not going to go to college, the military is a good option for you to consider, just don't believe anything they tell you about two things: 1. Where you will be stationed, and 2. What you will do

CBDB

Reaction score
Preface: Canadian Military Engineering Officer, Royal Military College grad

If you are thinking of joining the military post Law you will be directed to the JAG. Otherwise you will join in another functional classification and then hope to make your way to the MLTP (Military Legal Training Plan....big longshot). Post university they would expect that you join as an officer and expect that you sign up for 5 years (I think). As a Direct Entry Officer (post uni entry) you can specify your classification (logisitics, pilot, killer etc) and afiliation (army, air, nay) however if you don't succeed in training (pilot for example) then your future is largely up to then. Consider joining a reserve unit while still in uni...it will give you a much better look at the workings and put you around people who can help you with you decision.
CB

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in the IDF. I don't know how the Canadian military works, except you seem to have some pretty cool travel possiblities.

my feeling is that if you are going to be in the military, you should be in the sharp end - no sense being in if you aren't going to be somehow supporting the actual killing part of the military. to be a lawyer, earning a fraction of what you would in a law firm, having to live with military discipline doens't strike me as atractive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I guess that's one way to put it..... I was a light infantryman, essentially in reconosance and swat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads