• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becoming a tea drinker.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In peru I drank lots of tea because it was one way of being sure that what you were drinking was safe if bottled water wasn't available. In cusco they serve matte de coca, which is tea from coca leaves. Black tea is my favorite and I developed the habit of drinking it without milk since it wasn't ever offered with tead in peru. I need to drink more tea in canada. This is a good thread as I wasn't aware of the benefits of whole leaf tea and the dangers of over-steeping.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
This one will horrify the purists -- when I was in uni I used a Melitta cone-drip coffee maker, just throwing the teabag into the cone and letting it rip. Vile, but effective ...

I used to do the same thing. It was quick and easy. After a while I graduated to a tea ball and an electric water heater, but that wasn't a large improvement. Now I use a French Press and have been happy with the results. Also works well for coffee.

Smithy007

Reaction score
Even living in the UK, I've only recently started drinking tea regularly. Seems like coffee's taking over the mantle, but I get hyper on caffeine.

Is it true there's more caffeine in tea than coffee though??

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smithy007
Even living in the UK, I've only recently started drinking tea regularly. Seems like coffee's taking over the mantle, but I get hyper on caffeine.

Is it true there's more caffeine in tea than coffee though??

no

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever tried Lapsang Souchong? I first found it in a grocery store in Lucerne when I was traveling around Europe. When I made the tea I didn't have any sugar at hand, and it was definitely gross. My first thought was "omg...this tastes like a campfire..." Sometime later I read that the tea leaves are actually smoked over a pinewood fire, so I wasn't so far off the mark. Anyway, it's vastly improved with sugar, and I've grown to really like it. An acquired taste for sure. Most people I know can't stand it.

Vidi

Reaction score
I was horrified by lapsang souchong the first time I brewed some, but I've grown to enjoy it as an occasional departure from my routine.

I would second the use of a french press. It's what I've used for quite some time, and in my experience it works very well. I tend to use just a little more water than I'll actually drink, so that I don't end up pouring much of the the tea from below the press, as it does tend to be more bitter than the rest, even if poured almost immediately. Rationally, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it's been my subjective opinion.

I would also very strongly recommend trying some genmaicha, as an earlier poster mentioned. It's a Japanese green tea combined with toasted brown rice. As I understand it, the rice was originally used to stretch the tea (being far cheaper than the tea itself), but I think I pay as much for my genmaicha as I do for any of the other dozen teas in my cupboard. The roasted rice gives it a flavor that I can only describe as "hearty"; there's something extremely comforting about drinking it, and it's not even something that I grew up with.

I tend to drink Earl Gray or Darjeeling as my first cup of tea in the morning, and then either break out genmaicha, jasmine, or a cheap locally produced spiced tea (Market Spice) for the afternoon or evening. Switching between them a bit makes me appreciate them all a little more than I otherwise would.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I use my bodum coffee press for loose-leaf tea?

What's everyone drinking? I am having a cup of Uji No Tsuyu Sen-cha at the moment.

tahitiantreat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
Has anyone else ever tried Lapsang Souchong? I first found it in a grocery store in Lucerne when I was traveling around Europe. When I made the tea I didn't have any sugar at hand, and it was definitely gross. My first thought was "omg...this tastes like a campfire..." Sometime later I read that the tea leaves are actually smoked over a pinewood fire, so I wasn't so far off the mark. Anyway, it's vastly improved with sugar, and I've grown to really like it. An acquired taste for sure. Most people I know can't stand it.

I really enjoy Lapsang Souchong in the winter, and especially on rainy days. "Campfire" is an interesting (and good) way of putting it. An ex-girlfriend of mine thought it smelled like bacon.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Can I use my bodum coffee press for loose-leaf tea?

Definitely. This is the French Press that's been referenced a few times.

Press away.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph

My preferred way of having it is with milk. Nice comfort tea on a winter afternoon but since it is so assertive care must be taken when measuring how much tea to use and how long to let it infuse.

Uptontea.com has a nice Lapsang blend called the Black Dragon that softens the smokiness a bit. Their Lapsang Souchong Imperial is very nice also.

I am actually wearing a fragnance now that smells very much like Lapsang Souchong.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the tea balls.... I don't think they allow the teas to fully "Blossom".....meaning they don't allow the tea leaves to fully expand and steap to their fullest potential. Just my two cents.....
You are exactly right. Especially with the Chinese teas like Oolong, it is imperative to let them fully unfold for the best taste. I wouldn't use any sort of teaball or basket. I let all tea leaves brew unhindered in the teapot and pour through a strainer like this into my teacup or serving jug. Or I just use a French press, for my rooibos tea.
870100092c2.jpg
Also, to whoever asked if tea has more caffeine than coffee, not it doesn't. But, the caffeine in tea is different than coffee, as it bypasses your circulatory system and directly stimulates your nervous system. That's why you don't get jittery drinking tea.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Really? Unless I'm missing something, the caffeine would have to pass through your circulatory system to get to the brain. I thought the reason tea doesn't make people jittery is because there's just less caffeine in it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I prefer tea over coffee, with a good spot of milk/creme

You can't ever go wrong with earl grey....but to the OP, get one of those variety packs that comes with a few different flavors and see what floats your boat.

I found real Japanese green tea to be kind of sweet (I took a tea ceremony class many years ago) and very different from the sort you are usually served

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
How was it?

Well, you don't get high. It supposedly helps with altitude sickness but i never had a problem with that. My gf on the other hand drank the tea and still collapsed in a restaurant and required oxygen back at the hotel.

As for taste, it's ok, but I prefer earl grey, and black tea in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads