• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom (Made to measure) Suits in NYC

Spqr753

Reaction score
Hi all. I am planning on having 2 suits made (made to measure), in part because I am somewhat hard to fit off the rack. I am looking for suggestions on where to have them made. I had my first one done at Barney's a few months ago (an Isaia). I would like to stay in that price range. Bergdorf is another option...any others in the NYC area? The Isaia was around $3000 and, ideally, I would like to stay around there in price.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're willing to spend a little more, you could go bespoke. There are reputedly a number of good bespoke tailors in NYC (Raphel, Logsdail, etc.), but I know very little about them. I'm sure another member can fill you in.

Oxxford MTM is available at several places in the city, but you might as well go to the boutique. You'll have many more options than with most other high-end MTM programs and the construction qaulity is arguably unmatched in the MTM realm. Full disclosure: I've complained about certain issues (mostly service related) in the past, but I imagine that such problems are just as likely with any other large suit manufacturer.

You can go to J. Press and investigate their new MTM suits from Martin Greenfield. I believe they may be priced favorably compared to the MTM Golden Fleece suits at Brooks Brothers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
And note that on this board NO MATTER what you decide to do, it will not be acceptable to anyone.

I accept that you want poofy pockets, but I don't have to like it.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why are you looking at options other than Isaia? Is it something to do with how the suit came out, or are there other considerations?

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If you're willing to spend a little more, you could go bespoke. There are reputedly a number of good bespoke tailors in NYC (Raphel, Logsdail, etc.), but I know very little about them. I'm sure another member can fill you in.

Oxxford MTM is available at several places in the city, but you might as well go to the boutique. You'll have many more options than with most other high-end MTM programs and the construction qaulity is arguably unmatched in the MTM realm. Full disclosure: I've complained about certain issues (mostly service related) in the past, but I imagine that such problems are just as likely with any other large suit manufacturer.

You can go to J. Press and investigate their new MTM suits from Martin Greenfield. I believe they may be priced favorably compared to the MTM Golden Fleece suits at Brooks Brothers.

my understanding, at least of the tailors you named, is that true bespoke with them would be significantly more than 3k? it seemed like you could go with tailors in manhattan that would be significantly less than 3k but then the next step up would be much more (i.e. not much in the area of 2k-3k) from individual tailors.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

When I'm sittting....when I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I recommend Oxxford at the Oxxford Store. You'll have a direct pipeline to the factory.

I have no direct experience with J. Press and its new MTM program, however, I'm familar with the Greenfield product and its chief salesman, Jay Walter. You should not be disappointed, and your price tag should be about $2,000 or so.

gherrmann

Reaction score
slight thread drift: does anyone have any experience with (and/or knowledge re: pricing of) paul stuart's mtm program?

tia

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
I recommend Oxxford at the Oxxford Store. You'll have a direct pipeline to the factory.

In theory.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For $3,000 couldn't you get MTM from Logsdail?

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
For $3,000 couldn't you get MTM from Logsdail?

ah, sorry - for some reason i thought the OP was looking for bespoke at that range. 3k in mtm and you have a ton of options. LL is slightly more than 3k, depending on fabric (or was at least last year when i went to him), but less than 4k.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
And note that on this board NO MATTER what you decide to do, it will not be acceptable to anyone.

laugh.gif
This is certainly true to some extent.

But people tend to convey that because they don't like it, then it is not acceptable.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A good friend of mine goes to Nicolosi in NYC - if you use certain fabrics that he has on hand, I believe he comes in a tad over $3K. And that's full bespoke.

Spqr753

Reaction score
nothing wrong with it. for me personally i think i can get something that fits my shoulders a bit better (but i am being picky here).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads