Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom (Made to measure) Suits in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Spqr753, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Spqr753

Spqr753 Active Member

Hi all. I am planning on having 2 suits made (made to measure), in part because I am somewhat hard to fit off the rack. I am looking for suggestions on where to have them made. I had my first one done at Barney's a few months ago (an Isaia). I would like to stay in that price range. Bergdorf is another option...any others in the NYC area? The Isaia was around $3000 and, ideally, I would like to stay around there in price.

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

If you're willing to spend a little more, you could go bespoke. There are reputedly a number of good bespoke tailors in NYC (Raphel, Logsdail, etc.), but I know very little about them. I'm sure another member can fill you in.

Oxxford MTM is available at several places in the city, but you might as well go to the boutique. You'll have many more options than with most other high-end MTM programs and the construction qaulity is arguably unmatched in the MTM realm. Full disclosure: I've complained about certain issues (mostly service related) in the past, but I imagine that such problems are just as likely with any other large suit manufacturer.

You can go to J. Press and investigate their new MTM suits from Martin Greenfield. I believe they may be priced favorably compared to the MTM Golden Fleece suits at Brooks Brothers.

4. mafoofan

And note that on this board NO MATTER what you decide to do, it will not be acceptable to anyone.

I accept that you want poofy pockets, but I don't have to like it.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Distinguished Member

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at options other than Isaia? Is it something to do with how the suit came out, or are there other considerations?

6. alebrady

alebrady Senior Member

If you're willing to spend a little more, you could go bespoke. There are reputedly a number of good bespoke tailors in NYC (Raphel, Logsdail, etc.), but I know very little about them. I'm sure another member can fill you in.

Oxxford MTM is available at several places in the city, but you might as well go to the boutique. You'll have many more options than with most other high-end MTM programs and the construction qaulity is arguably unmatched in the MTM realm. Full disclosure: I've complained about certain issues (mostly service related) in the past, but I imagine that such problems are just as likely with any other large suit manufacturer.

You can go to J. Press and investigate their new MTM suits from Martin Greenfield. I believe they may be priced favorably compared to the MTM Golden Fleece suits at Brooks Brothers.

my understanding, at least of the tailors you named, is that true bespoke with them would be significantly more than 3k? it seemed like you could go with tailors in manhattan that would be significantly less than 3k but then the next step up would be much more (i.e. not much in the area of 2k-3k) from individual tailors.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

When I'm sittting....when I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

8. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

I recommend Oxxford at the Oxxford Store. You'll have a direct pipeline to the factory.

I have no direct experience with J. Press and its new MTM program, however, I'm familar with the Greenfield product and its chief salesman, Jay Walter. You should not be disappointed, and your price tag should be about $2,000 or so.

9. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior Member

slight thread drift: does anyone have any experience with (and/or knowledge re: pricing of) paul stuart's mtm program?

tia

10. mafoofan

I recommend Oxxford at the Oxxford Store. You'll have a direct pipeline to the factory.

In theory.

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

For $3,000 couldn't you get MTM from Logsdail?

12. alebrady

alebrady Senior Member

For $3,000 couldn't you get MTM from Logsdail?

ah, sorry - for some reason i thought the OP was looking for bespoke at that range. 3k in mtm and you have a ton of options. LL is slightly more than 3k, depending on fabric (or was at least last year when i went to him), but less than 4k.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Distinguished Member

And note that on this board NO MATTER what you decide to do, it will not be acceptable to anyone.

[​IMG] This is certainly true to some extent.

But people tend to convey that because they don't like it, then it is not acceptable.

14. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Distinguished Member

A good friend of mine goes to Nicolosi in NYC - if you use certain fabrics that he has on hand, I believe he comes in a tad over $3K. And that's full bespoke.

15. Spqr753

Spqr753 Active Member

nothing wrong with it. for me personally i think i can get something that fits my shoulders a bit better (but i am being picky here).