• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theories like 'Method' 'Don Juan' etc...

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Nothing works if you aren't sober...

Following that logic, everything works if you're drunk?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of it is useful to guys with no clue or social intuition, and a lot of it probably works on incredibly insecure girls. But it's not really for anyone reasonably familiar with how male-female relations work who wants to date mature, intelligent, have-their-****-together women.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Nothing works if you aren't sober...

Originally Posted by Bouji
Following that logic, everything works if you're drunk?

Guess so.
crackup[1].gif

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
A lot of it is useful to guys with no clue or social intuition, and a lot of it probably works on incredibly insecure girls. But it's not really for anyone reasonably familiar with how male-female relations work who wants to date mature, intelligent, have-their-****-together women.

That's what it seems to me, no woman worth my time (i.e. they have enough intelligence to understand that what I say - I mean) would need me to 'pretend' not to like them, so that they like me more. (They say to act disinterested, and aloof, but if I wanted to do that, what's wrong with a whore?).

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
That's what it seems to me, no woman worth my time (i.e. they have enough intelligence to understand that what I say - I mean) would need me to 'pretend' not to like them, so that they like me more. (They say to act disinterested, and aloof, but if I wanted to do that, what's wrong with a whore?).

Leading on from this, does this mean if I sleep with a prostitute, they will also be in love with me because I would tell them to get out of my bed once I was done with them?

v0rtex

Reaction score
As other posters have said, the tactics taught in most of those theories are crap... the strategies, less so.

I spent a couple of years following that path and would be lying if I said it hadn't drastically changed my life for the better, but I'd credit that more to learning to be an observant, social, confident person rather than any linguistic trickery or "routine" from a website.

In retrospect, it can all be summed up as: hang out with cool people who naturally do what you want to be able to do (this is true for anything you want to learn), grow a pair of balls and be unafraid to go for what you want in all areas of your life.

If you already do that then you probably won't find any value in those theories, and wonder why on earth people need to study something so obvious. If you don't then the theories can drastically change your life for the better, although you will go through a phase where you're a bit of a douchebag to people.

Oh and don't pay for any of the advice, all you need is available for free. And never, ever meet people off those boards.

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
I've read Mystery's handbook and what a load of bullocks it was. I'd only recommend it to teenage boys or an overly shy grown man with a confidence problem.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought that only socially-disabled super-nerds, pre-pubescent teens and long-sentence inmates were interested in this kind of stuff. I guess I was wrong... WTF is this thread about? Do enough people read or listen to phony dating advice to actually fill a thread on SF?
bored.gif

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Don Jaun/Mystery Method/Cocky+Funny/all that **** is basically for nerds with zero knowledge of where to start with women.

Really, it boils down to not being a tool and being confident.

Jason762

Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm guilty of being one of the guys who wants to follow the MM method.

I'm 22 and have zero experience with girls. I have had one girlfriend when I was 16 but she lived 30 miles away and I didn't own a car. It lasted 2 weeks before I broke it off and I never saw her except for the first time we met.

Right now, I think I'm failing quite badly with a girl I wasn't originally interested in. She showed interest in me, and I suppose she grew on me.

I dunno, I'm hoping learning this will help me out a bit. Girls have always been a bit of a look-but-don't touch thing with me.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I don't even know what this means.

Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
What in hell is this thread about? Weenies using pick-up lines?

Originally Posted by gdl203
WTF is this thread about? Do enough people read or listen to phony dating advice to actually fill a thread on SF?
bored.gif

May be this and this will explain.

BYucko

Reaction score
What they do is oversaturate you with information. Since this is a one-size-fits-all (when you're talking about the books & manuals, not the personal instruction) thing, they make sure you have all the tools you need, and then you're supposed to develop it into your own personal style.

If you've always been a Dungeons & Dragons nerd fantasizing about women, then you'll need everything. If you're an average guy, then you can take a few pointers you might not be able to hear elsewhere. If you're treading poon, then you wouldn't need this stuff, as it is just YOUR behavorial patterns being taught here.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

+1 this **** is for misguided kids or losers...

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I honestly thought that only socially-disabled super-nerds, pre-pubescent teens and long-sentence inmates were interested in this kind of stuff. I guess I was wrong... WTF is this thread about? Do enough people read or listen to phony dating advice to actually fill a thread on SF?
bored.gif

As you can see, few people on this board believe in it.
The purpose of this thread is exactly that, to reinstate my hypothesis, that more refined gentlemen (as most on this board are) would be skeptical/not believe in such ideologies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads