• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Japan, it's the men who want to be skinny and cute

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Perhaps this niche fashion is a reflection of future societies, as men become more and more effeminate and women become more and more masculine.
They should go kill themselves for the sake of the species.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I award you Douche of the week runner up award. It seems you have a lot of underlying racist feelings towards the Japanese or at least prejudice towards anyone not like you. Japanese genetics cause the guys to be a lot smaller than Americans, these guys are just working with what they have not like hipsters who starve themselves to achieve a sickly look. A lot of young skinny Japanese guys still have muscle tone and could kick some ass if needed, where as hipsters will be getting their asses kicked. Personally I was damned with *ahem* "delicate features" as in I have slender long fingers, small wrists and small forearms. I have tried nearly everything as far as workouts go, to build my forearms, to no avail. I kinda came to the conclusion that I cant do much to completely change the way I look, so I might as well lose all the extra weight and become another skinny toned bastard (down to a 32 from a 36 two years ago). Japanese clothes fit me well, a large over there is long enough and slim enough through the arms. American clothes (even slim fit) often fit like a tent or if they are slim enough they are not long enough. Back to the original post, its old news, most every mens magazine I have from Japan has diet and exercise tips. Not only that but not every girl wants a slim guy. There is still a decent following for muscular "manly" men amongst Japanese women.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I award you Douche of the week runner up award. It seems you have a lot of underlying racist feelings towards the Japanese or at least prejudice towards anyone not like you. Japanese genetics cause the guys to be a lot smaller than Americans, these guys are just working with what they have not like hipsters who starve themselves to achieve a sickly look. A lot of young skinny Japanese guys still have muscle tone and could kick some ass if needed, where as hipsters will be getting their asses kicked.
Personally I was damned with *ahem* "delicate features" as in I have slender long fingers, small wrists and small forearms. I have tried nearly everything as far as workouts go, to build my forearms, to no avail. I kinda came to the conclusion that I cant do much to completely change the way I look, so I might as well lose all the extra weight and become another skinny toned bastard (down to a 32 from a 36 two years ago). Japanese clothes fit me well, a large over there is long enough and slim enough through the arms. American clothes (even slim fit) often fit like a tent or if they are slim enough they are not long enough.
Back to the original post, its old news, most every mens magazine I have from Japan has diet and exercise tips. Not only that but not every girl wants a slim guy. There is still a decent following for muscular "manly" men amongst Japanese women.

It's more than just Japan. According to this article these guys are putting in effort to achieve a slim look. These guys don't have the will to kick ass though, the article states that they want to be protected by their manly girlfriends.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
To Nigo, who directs A Bathing Ape, Tokyo's most successful and visible street brand, this makes sense: men's designer clothes should target the thin and seemingly unfit.
Hm, I always thought overweight people were "unfit" but he thinks thin people are unfit???
confused.gif

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I award you Douche of the week runner up award. It seems you have a lot of underlying racist feelings towards the Japanese or at least prejudice towards anyone not like you. Japanese genetics cause the guys to be a lot smaller than Americans, these guys are just working with what they have not like hipsters who starve themselves to achieve a sickly look. A lot of young skinny Japanese guys still have muscle tone and could kick some ass if needed, where as hipsters will be getting their asses kicked.
Personally I was damned with *ahem* "delicate features" as in I have slender long fingers, small wrists and small forearms. I have tried nearly everything as far as workouts go, to build my forearms, to no avail. I kinda came to the conclusion that I cant do much to completely change the way I look, so I might as well lose all the extra weight and become another skinny toned bastard (down to a 32 from a 36 two years ago). Japanese clothes fit me well, a large over there is long enough and slim enough through the arms. American clothes (even slim fit) often fit like a tent or if they are slim enough they are not long enough.
Back to the original post, its old news, most every mens magazine I have from Japan has diet and exercise tips. Not only that but not every girl wants a slim guy. There is still a decent following for muscular "manly" men amongst Japanese women.

6', 120 lbs, like the guy mentioned in the original post, is a complete lack of muscle ...and you can't tone bone.

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Hm, I always thought overweight people were "unfit" but he thinks thin people are unfit???
confused.gif

Why would you think thing people can't be unfit? Fitness has more factors than weight alone.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

"seemingly unfit" as in, they don't look like gym rats. I know fat people that are fit as well as skinny people that are fit even though they might not look it.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
6', 120 lbs, like the guy mentioned in the original post, is a complete lack of muscle ...and you can't tone bone.

Why would you think thing people can't be unfit? Fitness has more factors than weight alone.

did see he was 6', thats pretty tall for that light. I was more speaking on the side of normal Japanese guys. I have yet to see one slim tall Japanese guy with a manly Japanese woman. My experience is slim stylish guys are with smaller similarly styled girls.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
confused.gif

They are.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone go open up a Fight Club in Japan.

Ummm....you already did, Mr. Durden. Hope I'm not in trouble for reminding you?
confused.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he really tries, he'll lose that last 2kg of ***** so that he can get some... oh I see what he did there.

Seriously, the bones and organs of a 6' man weigh 55kg. There's no him left to lose. Good luck impressing a woman when all _both of you_ can do is lie there and think of England.

oh wait, I see what _she_ did there.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
International Herald Tribune

Twenty-five-year-old Junichi Shirakawa, who works at the denim boutique 45 RPM, said that his goal is to get his weight down from 57 to 55 kilograms, although his height is 182 centimeters. "Being really skinny is essential, not just for fashion and work purposes but also because girls seem to go for thin guys," he said.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I thought in Japan men come first?

In Japan traditionally men come first, but modern Japan is far from many traditions. In many ways their society is more like a glimpse into the future for others.

I don`t really see what TyCoon is all angry about. Even if western societies most women are more masculine, while the men are becoming more and more effeminate. Maybe just not physically (yet). Many men in western societies do the cooking, clean the house, and in general are more submissive to the women. The women only wear pants, pump weights at the gym all the time, drive the cars, and bring home more dough than the men.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
This thread is worthless without pics:

0328a771c5e35qp4.jpg

Lol you obviously do not know Asian men. Those guys are average, if not on the more masculine side especially considering that they're Japanese.

You could easily find more feminine androgynous pictures of Japanese men.

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
I don't know, most people would consider Japan and Japanese pretty successful. How would it benefit the species if they all killed themselves? Are you implying that fat-assed Americans are the ideal? Put me in a survival situation and I think I'd opt to be with some "effeminate" Asian men rather than the gargantuans you see everyday walking the street in America. Unless, of course, the gargantuans were around so I could eat them if no other food was available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics