• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Magic Castle in Hollywood

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Magic Castle where Gob from Arrested Development got banned from???

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phuphyter
Hahaha I think so! And where the characters in the movie "Shade" lay low for a while.

170px-Tony_Wonder_-_AD.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Don't think Martini will be responding any time soon seeing as how he's apparently been banned...

You don't always need an invite. I believe there are a few functions in which you simply need to call and make a reservation without having to know a member. Wouldn't hurt to call up MC for details.

phuphyter

Reaction score
Yeah. I saw his status. Wishful thinking I guess. I'll try calling up the castle and see what I can do. It just would feel so much more special having a physical card in hand to hand someone once you get there, ya know?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phuphyter
Yeah. I saw his status. Wishful thinking I guess. I'll try calling up the castle and see what I can do. It just would feel so much more special having a physical card in hand to hand someone once you get there, ya know?
This isn't Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I saw a comic/magician on one of my cruises who was a regular there and apparently you could just email him to get on the "list" to go for a show. I'm sure it is that exclusive in the sense that if you just find a comics Myspace that performs there and email them that they can "get you in."

If you want to go on a date and impress take them up the hill above it to Yamashiro where at least the views/setting will be gorgeous and the food will be typical "upscale Japanese."

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw, M8... I wonder how the life of the "Self Sovereign" is treating him.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Aw, M8... I wonder how the life of the "Self Sovereign" is treating him.
He still posts crazy stuff on the AAAC Interchange, talking about his "clubs" and lack of national allegiance whilst making vaguely Republican like pronouncements.

phuphyter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
This isn't Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory...

Hahaha true, but in some way it is.

hmmm... upscale Japanese food with a view in LA... it's nice and all, but the kid in me would probaly have more fun at the castle.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
I know nobody's posted on this thread for about a year, but I'd just like to say that the Magic Castle is by far one of the coolest places I've ever been, and I've been all over the world. I'm very thankful that my dad is a member, so I'm lucky enough to be able to go whenever I'm back in California. The entertainment is top-rate, the 5 or 6 bars are excellent, and the food is five-star, and a hell of a lot better than it has to be, as is their wine cellar. I'd just advise people to avoid going on a Friday night, which is the most crowded night, unless you enjoy being around drunk guests making assholes of themselves. The same performers are there every night Monday to Saturday, so you don't miss anything going on a weeknight. It's also nice that there's a place in LA where you have to dress up to go to, LA being the capital of casual. I haven't done the Houdini seance thing yet, or the Sunday champagne brunch, but I heard it's just as good, except that on Sundays the magicians make their jokes "G-rated," for the kids.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The California Club on Flower is also coat and tie.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Unsurprisingly) I can get people passes for The Magic Castle. Just let me know if you would like one.

I have mixed feelings about The Magic Castle due to some silly industry political stuff. Caveat: Not all the performers are really at the caliber they should be - I can definitely recommend some nights/performers over others.

Still it has an intriguing storied history, and in its halcyon days (60's and 70's) was producing some truly beautiful, artful magic. It is absolutely still worth a visit if you are in the area.

(Might be worth it just to meet celebrity magicians like Jason Alexander or Neil Patrick Harris)

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Magic Castle was indeed the inspiration for "The Gothic Castle" in Arrested Development as well as the magician's club in Shade (Which IIRC was shot on location.) Damian Neiman, Shade's director is a member there and friends with several prominent magicians. Shade is a very fun heist movie that should have gotten a US theatrical release. Several amgicians advised and the card stuff is all pretty accurate - which was a lot of fun for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads