• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Food Hells

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Not sure I could trust a fast food chain in Singapore to not give me some parasite (fasciola hepatica comes to mind) from uncooked steak.

The hot plate is hot enough to cook the meat. Nevertheless, parasites? Baaah! From where we came from, we add parasites to make food taste better!

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my college days:

Carl's Jr double western bacon cheeseburger with a side of fried zucchini!

And of course a burrito with carne asada at the Bear's Lair at Cal....

drool...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
From my college days:

Carl's Jr double western bacon cheeseburger with a side of fried zucchini!

drool...

Is _that_ what you consider to be good food? What about the magic cistern water and sprouts?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yoshinoya:
590bfc27.JPG

beef bowl with RAW egg ftw

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage

Oh man, there were so many better burrito options within walking or biking distance (at least in my day)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Oh man, there were so many better burrito options within walking or biking distance (at least in my day)
There still are. It boggles my mind that people go to the Lair to eat.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Loosely related: Does anyone remember a taqueria that was on the west side of College, far enough south that it may technically have been Oakland rather than Berkeley (south of Alcatraz, iirc), which I think was owned by a French couple? The name escapes me. In addition to killer chicken/beef/veggie burritos (great mix of vegetables and highly seasoned) and tacos, they also made them with salmon, rabbit, duck, I don't even remember what else. That place was a staple of my existence for a while. Sometime down the road I heard they closed the taqueria and opened a sit-down restaurant.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Is _that_ what you consider to be good food? What about the magic cistern water and sprouts?

tounge.gif
We feed that to the lab rats whom we watch safely behind their little pens!

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad

Yeah there are/were, BUT the one in the Lair was where I was INTRODUCED to the joys of a burrito.. so it holds a special place in my heart..

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cantabrigian (or anyone else), did they have Gardies in your day?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to resurrect this thread.

Went to the Sonic that just opened in Winchester and it was pretty damn good. They didn't have the hawt girls flying around on rollerskates (not even close) but the place smelled of funnel cakes and the soda (a coke with cherry syrup) was sooooo good. They have these wraps, and I recall one being filled with Fritos, chili and cheese. I got a popcorn chicken meal which was way too much food that I didn't need after a week of living off of bread and coffee in the Adirondacks. I'm chain-phobic but everyone has been raving about the place since it opened a few weeks ago so I had to check it out. Really liked it, can't wait to go again and get some soda.

I'm going to be so fat.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I had to resurrect this thread.

Went to the Sonic that just opened in Winchester and it was pretty damn good. They didn't have the hawt girls flying around on rollerskates (not even close) but the place smelled of funnel cakes and the soda (a coke with cherry syrup) was sooooo good. They have these wraps, and I recall one being filled with Fritos, chili and cheese. I got a popcorn chicken meal which was way too much food that I didn't need after a week of living off of bread and coffee in the Adirondacks. I'm chain-phobic but everyone has been raving about the place since it opened a few weeks ago so I had to check it out. Really liked it, can't wait to go again and get some soda.

I'm going to be so fat.

I've always wanted to try Sonic but have never lived even remotely close to one. The nearest to me is in Anaheim, which is still an hour away.

Oh well, at least I have In N' Out.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
For the chains, I love Jimmy John's, Arby's, Burger King (BK Veggie FTW), Pita Pit, and Taco Bell. Locally, we've got some great one-off and small chains like The Burrito Buggy, RawTimes, Hillbilly Hotdogs, Stewart's Hotdogs (though I haven't really gone there since becoming a vegetarian), and Rocco's Little Italy. Our town is somewhat well known for hotdogs, which is probably why we have 5 different businesses with 3-6 locations each in a town of 50,000 people. A few are "traditional", doing hotdogs in the local way (something about a steamed bun, boiled hotdog, onions, and a specific style of sauce allowed to "steam" in foil so that it gets slightly soggy) that have gotten a lot of local and regional press. My favorite, though, is the incredibly strange Hillbilly Hotdogs mentioned above. They've got 30 different kinds of dogs (including a vegetarian option with kraut, onions, cheese, cheez wiz, salsa, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, pizza sauce, nuts, relish, hotsauce, and various other condiments), the "double wide" 3.5lb burger, and some strange WV concoctions like the Tater Egger, a huge bowl of crinkle cut fries topped with tons of shredded cheese, a few scrambled eggs, and salsa or ketchup. As strange as the food is, it's incredibly delicious, and overshadowed by the hillbilly decor. It's a trip. The "dining room" is a ramshackle bunch of old church busses spray painted gold and shoved together on a hillside. The inside is tagged by the thousands of customers who are invited to leave their mark. www.hillbillyhotdogs.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads