1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Food Hells

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by j, May 17, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I end up eating a lot of fast food because, well, I'm hungry and it's fast.

Aside from the atrocious condition of their dining area and the general downtroddenness of the (other) patrons, I like Wendy's. They seem to have forgotten the chopped anchovy, and the dressing is undoubtedly made earlier that day if not the night before (shock! horror!) but for $0.99, their Caesar salad is pretty good and reasonably big. Their chili is also quite passable.

The range of the menu at Jack in the Box is impressive (though undoubtedly confusing for an unsophisto hick). I have never been introduced to the waitstaff, but their DYMO labeler printed nametags are relatively unobtrusive and can be ignored if one tries.

Anyone else forced to deign/stoop/descend as I am? Where are your favorite places?

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I like Wendy's as well. Back when I had one near my apartment, I used to make a meal out of a small salad (with blue cheese dressing), chili, and chicken strips.

I love Popeye's fried chicken. I would sooner give up hamburgers and hot dogs than fried chicken. I have been able to resist the urge to go there for several months.

Jerry's Sub Shops (regional franchise?) is awfully good for cheesesteaks.

3. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Agree with Wendy's. You guys eat salads, I eat fries dipped in Frosty. I call that a win [​IMG]

4. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I am/was a fast food nut in general prior to cutting out beef but

waiting in the streets on a rainy or muggy day for the stench of stinky tofu
    burning in the sun for a good street-side burrito or dog
    having no place to hold one's pint in a packed pub

can be just as good.

5. tangerine

tangerine Senior Member

Jamba Juice! You can pretend it is health food, and it is full of sugar.

Otherwise, there's nothing faster than the hot dog cart.

6. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I think you can get some wheatgrass juice with your five hundred calorie razzmatazz.

7. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

Wendy's is indeed decent.

Major shout out to Los Betos though! Damn good mexican fast food, carne asada burritos the size of artillery shells with decadent guacamole. Quiznos and Subway are decent, too.

Must also mention all these little "roach coaches" around Tucson, especially the Mexican hotdogs. Almost as good as the hotdogs I had in Guaymas. Guacamole, beans, sour cream, onions. Woah. Heart attack central [​IMG]

8. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior Member

Thanks for using an old term. I really only go back to the late 1950's memory-wise, but the early fast food places were White Castle (NY area), Royal Castle (we had some in NO) and Krystal. The last still exists; do the others? Were there any other places back then?

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Thanks for using an old term. I really only go back to the late 1950's memory-wise, but the early fast food places were White Castle (NY area), Royal Castle (we had some in NO) and Krystal. The last still exists; do the others? Were there any other places back then?
    I'm pretty sure White Castle is still around. At least it was when Harold and Kumar went there in that movie a couple years back.

BTW, Dairy Queen is another great one around here. Don't know how far those go. A lot of the ones you guys mention aren't around here. And we keep getting ads for Sonic on our TV even though there are no Sonics out here at all that I know of.

10. jay allen

jay allen Well-Known Member

Wendy's is the death burger of choice for me. At least it isn't microwaved to the point that it sets the take out bag on fire.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Haven't touched fast food other than In-n-Out isnce '96. One day I just could not go in to a McDonald's and never tried again. I never ate it much, but two cheeseburgers and fries was something I would go in for three or four times a year.

12. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

Wendy's is the death burger of choice for me. At least it isn't microwaved to the point that it sets the take out bag on fire.

Jay - does McDonald's still do the lobster roll up in Maine from time to time? This always cracked me up when I lived there. As far as I can tell, Maine is the only place where McDonald's did this. Did they think Mainers were sitting around thinking, "Thank goodness for McDonald's - now I can finally get a good lobster roll." I can't even imagine that the tourists would go to McDonald's in search of authentic Maine lobster.

I've got to say that I've always been a fan of the BK Whopper. Wendy's burgers are good, too. For some reason, McDonald's always makes me feel horrible about 1/2 hour after I eat it.

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

+1 on Wendys. I only go to fast food that has a somewhat extensive $1 menu because I feel that that is the price range fast food is meant to be experienced in. Fuck paying $3-5 for a fast food burger when it's the same shit as a $1 burger with more unnecessaries like extra lettuce, tomatoes, rancid bacon etc.

I also like Weinershnitzel. They used to have a $3 'combo' with a chili cheese dog, chili burger, and chili fries. Then I get a couple corn dogs on top of that. Excellent gourmet experience.

15. sonick

sonick Distinguished Member

For burgers, its BK's Whoppers all the way (in fact, I am about to go get one for lunch; WHOPPER WEDNESDAYS!).

Wendy's i like the Spicy Chicken sandwich, and their salads.