• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So Brooks Brothers came down to Hofstra Law School today...

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and the presentation was a real joy. The rep started by explaining why it is worthwhile to spend more on clothing. She had my respect until she boldly stated that the only RTW suit on the market that compares to Golden Fleece is Brioni. Oh well. Other than that one thing she was very informative and helpful in explaining how to dress for an interview- and later for work ("Dress for the job you want - not the job you have"). I also appreciated that she explained that casual Fridays are not nearly as casual as people think. She was very forthcoming about manufacturers (Southwick for USA suits, Alden for USA shoes, factory in Long Island City for ties...) She also explained collar choice, tie selection and knots, vents, the benefit of handwork, shell cordovan, welts, etc. She shared some interesting info about BB's history as well.
There was also corresponding advice for the gals in the room. She concluded by taking questions and raffling off a $50 gift card.
Overall it was a pleasant experience that has obvious benefits for BB and the future lawyers in the room.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow $50, sounds kinda cheap. You would think having a room full of impressionable gullible future lawyers would be worth at least $200

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, Hofstra Law ain't exactly a first-tier law school. The rep probably had a fixed budget for the gift cards, and probably also visits many many other schools.

I'm pleasantly surprised that BB actually does this.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It's not exactly first tier but thanks to its name and location grads can end up doing well.

I felt silly since I answered all her "questions" like "what is the most common knot?" and "Anyone know what cordovan is?" etc.

At the beginning when she asked what the name BB instantly brings to mind I made her happy by answering "tradition" amidst a cacophony of "its expensive" "quality" and "my dad."

Overall, nothing was said that can't be learned in twenty minutes on SF (thanks guys) but it was useful for everyone else.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you grill her on which suits of BB are full or half canvass?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Did you grill her on which suits of BB are full or half canvass?

also did they mention the italian manufacturer of their 1818 suits?

Rocker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Let's face it, Hofstra Law ain't exactly a first-tier law school. The rep probably had a fixed budget for the gift cards, and probably also visits many many other schools.

Some people just can't pass up the opportunity to be an a__hole by making unnecessary remarks and attempting to belittle people. The guy offers an interesting post and you have to belittle his school. Grow up.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually tried to find out who makes the Italian suits but she passed over the question. All she would talk about was American manufacturing but when I looked afterwards the suits were from Italy, the shirts were from Malaysia and the women's suits were from China.

After the event was over and I came down to see the suits I asked her about canvassing since the Italian suit felt fused to me. She mostly just stuttered for a few seconds about how it's good for suits to have fusing... Then, after feeling my Belvest, admitted that it had no fusing. I think she said she Italian suits are half canvas but I'm not really sure. I didn't have much time to study them. From the way she talked it sounded like she did corporate work but she actually manages the store in the Roosevelt Field mall on Long Island. If I go down there I'll ask about the Italian suits.

Thomas0302

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rocker
Some people just can't pass up the opportunity to be an a__hole by making unnecessary remarks and attempting to belittle people. The guy offers an interesting post and you have to belittle his school. Grow up.

+1

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100% Agree.

Regards.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so how's the weather at hofstra?
rimshot.gif

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

I'm pleasantly surprised that BB actually does this.

Unfortunately this is the standard attitude on most Law School forums.
bored.gif

bcate3

Reaction score
Given all the threads about “is this ok to wear ___ at an interview” I was beginning to think career offices at schools had stopped hosting these events. (Or are too many retailers missing an opportunity to pitch to an untapped market?) The advice from these things may be banal, but in interviews, if your clothes stand out , then it probably means you didn’t – a platitude similar to what you likely heard last night, but still true IME.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
Unfortunately this is the standard attitude on most Law School forums.
bored.gif

It's competitive. That even goes on in Florida, which doesn't have any really exceptional law schools. (Except Stetson of course.
devil.gif
) Students always bash each other's schools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads