• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So Brooks Brothers came down to Hofstra Law School today...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
It's competitive. That even goes on in Florida, which doesn't have any really exceptional law schools. (Except Stetson of course.
devil.gif
) Students always bash each other's schools.

Especially among students who are insecure about the relative "status" of their own schools.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the one who is insecure. clearly it's you. Im very secure. as you can probably tell by this message. you probably have many problems due to your insecurity. I wouldn't know about that because I don't have these problems.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I'm not the one who is insecure. clearly it's you. Im very secure. as you can probably tell by this message. you probably have many problems due to your insecurity. I wouldn't know about that because I don't have these problems.

laugh.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
laugh.gif

Whatever. I hear you went to a _state_ school.
devil.gif

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Whatever. I hear you went to a _state_ school.
devil.gif

Only because they offered me a kickball scholarship.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Was the presentation well attended?

It sounds like a really good idea. I don't believe anything like this happens in Melbourne law schools (certainly not when I was studying) but then again I can't imagine many would have bothered turning up (myself included back then - I tried to spend as much time out of lecture halls as possible) ...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty damn good idea of field marketing. They'd benefit from going to Business schools and even covering undergrads as well. Stamping the idea of BB as the quintessential professional attire could go along way in creating brand loyalty for life, even if it wouldn't work on the more discerning patrons of SF.

leon12

Reaction score
We had a presentation by Macy's (Brooks would have been much better) at my law school during my first year. They were pretty good about suggesting dark suits, etc. for interviews, but I had this feeling that they were trying to make us feel overwhelmed, as if we could not dress ourselves but rather needed the assistance of one of their personal shoppers. (In all fairness, it has largely been proven that the majority of my Minnesota classmates cannot, in fact, properly dress themselves). The clothes I had seen in Macy's always felt "cheap" to me, so I started researching and ended up finding SF. And the rest, as they say, is history..

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had meant no disrespect to Hosftra Law or those who attend the school whatsoever in my first response. My intention was to convey the impracticality of a business going to every law school, of the caliber of Hofstra, and be giving out large-sum gift cards.

As to those who took my comment about Hofstra not being a first tier law school, and assume that therefore I'm an "a**hole", here's a link that should speak for itself. I never took the statement "Hofstra Law not in first tier" as anything other than that. Whatever inferences my critics had inferred were of their own doing. BTW, my field of work has nothing to do with law.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, to get this thread back on track,

I think it's a great idea for companies to do this. $50 gift card may not be alot, but it's an incentive to step into the door. I think more efforts like this at all graduate schools would be nice.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Let's face it, Hofstra Law ain't exactly a first-tier law school. The rep probably had a fixed budget for the gift cards, and probably also visits many many other schools.

Easy killer. I went to Hofstra Law and I am doing quite well, thank you.

I am sure many graduates of tier one schools would kill for my job. By the way, the jury was out for two hours yesterday.

http://www.usdoj.gov/tax/txdv07903.htm

JeffC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This is pretty damn good idea of field marketing. They'd benefit from going to Business schools and even covering undergrads as well. Stamping the idea of BB as the quintessential professional attire could go along way in creating brand loyalty for life, even if it wouldn't work on the more discerning patrons of SF.

FYI- Hickey Freeman has a program where they do trunk shows at the top-tier MBA schools. They even offer a substantial discount to the students.

Jeff

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WesternBlot
Oh, the insecurity is prevalent in all academic fields. At least in science, where you attend graduate school isn't as important as the actual research you do and the number of publications you have under your belt.
Ugh what a coincidence. Guess what I'm doing on a Friday night. Gonna do primary incubation overnight and get the hell out of here. Sounds like good marketing on BB's part. So OP, are you sold?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads