• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quotes

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite quotes...

What do you think are really good ones....

I will start....

In every work of genius we recognise our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Science is the art of the over simplification of everything- Karl Popper

No. No, no no no. **** you, you don't owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me, 'cause tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50, and I'll still be doin' this ****. And that's all right. That's fine. I mean, you're sittin' on a winnin' lottery ticket. You're too much of a ***** to cash it in, and that's bullshit. 'Cause I'd do fuckin' anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin' guys. It'd be an insult to us if you're still here in 20 years. Hangin' around here is a fuckin' waste of your time. - Ben Affleck in Good Will Hunting to Matt Damon

First of all, you people don't know what the hell a suit is supposed to look like- jack taylor, the way he said it

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art -Oscar Wilde

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan

No. No, no no no. **** you, you don't owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me, 'cause tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50, and I'll still be doin' this ****. And that's all right. That's fine. I mean, you're sittin' on a winnin' lottery ticket. You're too much of a ***** to cash it in, and that's bullshit. 'Cause I'd do fuckin' anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin' guys. It'd be an insult to us if you're still here in 20 years. Hangin' around here is a fuckin' waste of your time. - Ben Affleck in Good Will Hunting to Matt Damon

Good one

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Write or don't write, both are equally futile- Soren Kierkegaard, The Point of View for my Work as an Author I think of them instead as fiction that, like so much of fiction, provides the storyteller with the lie through which to expose his unspeakable truth- Philip Roth, Operation Shylock

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Never pass up a chance to ******** or appear on television -- Gore

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Pretty much anything Winston Churchill ever said. Also, from Heart of Darkness:
"Whether he knew of this deficiency himself I can't say. I think the knowledge came to him at last--only at the very last. But the wilderness found him out early, and had taken vengeance for the fantastic invasion. I think it had whispered to him things about himself which he did not know, things of which he had no conception till he took counsel with this great solitude--and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating."

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Life's too short to spend it in Disneyland." -- attributed to Bryan Ferry, turning down the role of James Bond.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is only shallow people, who do not judge by appearances.

Oscar Wilde.

Opcn

Reaction score
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

"If you plan on being anything less than you are capable of being, you will probably be unhappy all the days of your life."

Both Abraham Maslow

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy on Airplane: Oh great, I always end up sitting next to a damn baby.
Stewie: What did you just say?
Lois: Stewie, stop fussing.
Stewie: Pipe down Lois. (Slaps guy on head.) Hey big man, turn around. Oh you can't hear me now. I was going to watch the movie, but forget it. For the next 5 hours, you're my *****.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The appeaser is the one who feeds the alligator, hoping he will be eaten last."
--Winston Churchill

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"It's not enough merely to succeed, your friends must also fail."
--Anonymous

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Listen to me, I got no reason to lie to you, don't make the same mistakes I made when I was young. **** a lotta women kid, not just one woman, a lotta women." -Edwin in Little Miss Sunshine

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I collect quotes and give them to my students periodically. Here are some of my favorites:

"Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.""”Quentin Crisp

"The young always have the same problem--how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another.""”Quentin Crisp

"While not exactly disgruntled, he was far from feeling gruntled.""”P.G. Wodehouse

"If life were fair, Dan Quayle would be making a living asking, 'Do you want fries with that?'""”John Cleese

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.""”Thomas Edison

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.""”Ralph Waldo Emerson

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.""”Annie Dillard

"If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor.""”Neil Simon

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Who ever told you that you could work with men?" - Ricky Roma

kakemono

Reaction score
Theres two types of poeple
Those that talk the talk and those who walk the walk
Those poeple that walk the walk sometimes talk the talk
,but most of the time they dont talk at all because thier busy walking
Now poeple who talk the talk
When it comes time for them to walk
they talk poeple like me into walking for them
-from 'Hustle and Flow'

"I hate guys who hurt girls...in every way. Girls are made to take care of. How can they be nice if they are broken? It's like lawn...how can it be green if there's no vitamin?"
-Kevin Fontaine (personal friend when he was just learning English - he had the most hilarious quotes - that actually made sense)

"Now, we must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil which we must fear most... and that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics