• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft-shouldered suit recommendations

muskypicker

Reaction score
I'm looking to increase my suit inventory and would really like to purchase some soft-shouldered, high-gorge suits. What are the general OTR recommendations? I've seen a few Oxxford Radcliffe suits that looked nice (doesn't seem boxy like other Oxxfords)...never tried them on. How about Zegna or Isaia? Two or three button...doesn't matter, but I do enjoy the higher gorge and softer shoulders.

Thank you for any opinions.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a few Isaia sport coats that were soft shouldered from STP. I found them to be well constructed and very nice. The Zegna's I have are nice as well, but don't compare to the finish of the Isaia's.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I bought a few Isaia sport coats that were soft shouldered from STP. I found them to be well constructed and very nice. The Zegna's I have are nice as well, but don't compare to the finish of the Isaia's.

+1

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FLAME SUIT ON..

After years of Brioni, Corneliani & Carusso (all MTM) in pusuit of the softest of shoulder yet with a waisted body I have succumed to Armani (yes I hear the pin drop) - with out a doubt the original deconstructed soft shoulder power suit.

Zegna I tried & tried - workmanship was good but the shoulders are still quite square & padded.

So I have recently achived all my other suits & have invested in Armani.

I couldn't be happier (for the following reasons):
1. OTR fits me perfectly (& I am slight in build from road cycling & height impaired - 5'7")
2. No longer have to wait up to 3 months for suits to be delivered from Italy, only to still have at least 2 fittings
3. I save $$$ (nearly 30%)
4. Great soft fabrics (some are fragile, but they are special) not available to anyone but Armani
5. With my old suits I would get comments of appreciation from tailors & the odd CxO level client, but now I get a lot of comments from women (that I know & don't know - something how about the drape & that's before they ask where I purchased from, whether for their partners or family.. & then you utter the word Armani.. The power of the brand). I much prefer to have comments from women
bigstar[1].gif

Some pics of me with Armani.

20071019aXX.jpg

20071017aXX.jpg

20071018bXX.jpg

20071016bXX.jpg

20071015cXX.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf.org
Looks good, I think it really suits you. I wouldn't say your slight since you seem to be pretty built and filling that jacket properly. For OTR, how did you solve the jacket length issue? your jacket pockets seem to be in the right place. Usually when I get OTR, I have to shorten the jacket and the jacket pockets tend to look a little lower than they should. Are you buying Giorgio Armani? Or one of the diffusion lines? I haven't been into a GA store in a long time, partly because he made that ****** remark about Savile Row and I'm excellent at holding grudges.
Correction my suits & s/coats are 36S & sometimes 36R depending on the style (when getting a R the store shortens 3 cm - which is what I have found to be the difference). As for the pocket stance/height balance - from experience Armani's jackets are cut long, but the pocket placement has been good for me? Also the fact that Armani chooses to not have flaps on the pockets helps with the visual. As for fitting the jacket - I agree, when I used to have to get my suits made for me I was told I had a 38 shoulder & a body closer to 35. I tend to buy GA Black label, but for everyday business I stick to GA White label navy wool crepe suits as they are resilient to crease's & I won't cringe if I damage a pant or jacket from daily rigours/traumas (such as the dreaded taxi ride) & I can always order another piece. I also like to have a standard professional uniform when meeting clients for the first time or in a b/room setting i.e navy suits with either white or pink shirt & always with dark knit ties (sometimes I deviate & wear the red/navy horizontal one, otherwise my other knit ties are varying navy's or navy with white dots). Like you up until the last 6 months, the last time I walked into a GA store would have been 10 years ago (& that was to buy a dinner suit - which I still have & wear). Until recently I used to mock people buying fashion brands such as GA etc for professional attire. But recently my partner thought I needed a change, so we tried GA & the rest is history. I thank her. Also I like the fact that when I travel & if there is an emergency, I can walk into any GA store PRONTO! As for the Saville Row remark - been there done that (i.e traditional in a Italian guise), & quite happy to be soft & fluid instead of stiff & stuffy. Just my personal view as I think we on this forum put too much ephasis on the traditional houses when what we should be encouraging is for people to try everything & develop ones own style through fit & comfort & not be dictated by what is the trad.. Sorry, rant over.

neyus

Reaction score
I recommend Ralph Lauren. Compared to other suits in my closet such as Zegna, Canali, Oxxford and Corneliani, RL has the softest shoulders.

I think the above poster looks great in the Armani suits.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Isaia, but there are several models so you need to find the one best for you. Also Borrelli has a wonderful soft shoulder, but again there are several styles.

I never really realized the importance of a great fitting soft shoulder until I got one. I heard lots and lots of compliments about it. Get the right one and I'm sure you will too!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like Isaia, but there are several models so you need to find the one best for you. Also Borrelli has a wonderful soft shoulder, but again there are several styles.

I never really realized the importance of a great fitting soft shoulder until I got one. I heard lots and lots of compliments about it. Get the right one and I'm sure you will too!

Agreed about the shoulder fit.

I just remembered that Kiton also has a beautiful shoulder, just coudn't justify the $$$.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be nice to see you with your arms at your sides to see the fit of the jacket

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I think it'd be nice to see you with your arms at your sides to see the fit of the jacket

Sure - some from last week (the lighting is not the best, will try again this week).
L1000725.jpg

L1000721.jpg

20071012XX.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck

and raise your arms latrally too to see if the scye is cut high enough, also a side veiw to check balance also!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads