• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft-shouldered suit recommendations

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
A much cheaper choice which is the best value for full retail I have found is the Samuelsohn Greenwich model. Fully canvased, soft shoulder, high gorge, high armholes, and the best lapel role I have ever seen on a machine-made suit.

+23847482313213135656

One of the best RTW suits made, IMO.

gefinzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
Sure - some from last week (the lighting is not the best, will try again this week).
L1000725.jpg

L1000721.jpg

20071012XX.jpg

You've put together a great look...it all works well together, including the eyeglasses. I particularly like the dark navy (?) suit with the striped, knit tie.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 about Carusso. Best bang for buck, also in my fit far superior to the Brioni suits I had previously had MTM.

Of my previous suist I have kept the Carusso ones - my favourite being a 2B SB blue with gold/tan pin stripes with gold/tan lining.. & a Corneliani (2B SB blue with a light blue window pane).

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No idea who made the suit, but Sen. Simon rocked the natural shoulder.
dwf155106196kb.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Your "normal" posts, are so much more disturbing than your gay/sex jokes postings.

There's nothing disturbing about a sack suit, padawan.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's a really Tradly pic of GHW Bush. Note the sack suit, natural shoulder, grosgrain watchband and uber-Trad two buttons on the sleeves.

me223-2.jpg

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I just picked up a Stuart's Choice/St. Andrews suit and the shoulders are as soft as anything i've tried. I'd say they are similar to Isaia.

Nice. Any chance you can post a pic? Also, how much did the suit run you, if you don't mind?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Nice. Any chance you can post a pic? Also, how much did the suit run you, if you don't mind?

I just got it in the mail yesterday so its not tailored yet but here is the listing. I'll need to have the waist taken in but otherwise the fit is perfect for me. The tag says $1900
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I just picked up a Stuart's Choice/St. Andrews suit and the shoulders are as soft as anything i've tried. I'd say they are similar to Isaia.

Way to go Jack!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

counselone

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I'm new to this site and I find it very informative and as such I decided to become a member. I grew up in Oakland and worked in the Financial District in the City for many years before moving to L.A. three years ago. I would like to ask an honest question to see if someone can enlighten me; I wear a suit and tie everyday, and I've been dressing pretty good for most of my professional career and I was always told when buying a suit, to buy what fits your body best. That being said I have about twenty suits that I wear now, about half are the Armani Classic, and the other half are a variety of different bespoke suits. There seems to be a genuine disdain for Armani on this site and I was curious as to why that is? I guess the Classic is Armani's mid-level suit, between $1,500-$2,500 dollars, I find the quality to be exceptional, but moreover, I am 6ft. tall and weigh 210 lbs., I have broad shoulders and long legs, I can buy a good suit off the rack and it will look like it's made for me, at least the jacket will. A slim cut, flat front suit does not compliment my body well and I don't particularly care for the look. One of the reasons I like Armani so much is because of the pants, the crotch area is nice and long the way I need it, high rise if you will, and I have room in the leg area and I don't think it's too baggy. Also I love the light materials and the drape of the jacket. I work in Corporate America and so I attend meetings about half the time and I always get compliments from men and women on how nice I look or that I am the best dressed iin the office, men constantly ask me for tips, not that everyone knows how to dress appropriately, but I like the way I look most of all. So am I correct in wearing what compliments my body, or is there some deep dark secret about Armani that I don't know? Most of us seem pretty well educated on here and so I appreciate whatever comments you have to offer on this subject, thanks. I don't know how recent this post is so in the event no one is reading it I will also post it in a more current post.

leon12

Reaction score
If it fits and you're happy with it, then that's all that really matters. I think most of the disdain for armani around here is due to most of their suits being fused while still costing an arm and a leg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics