• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of ordering bespoke button boots from Jan Kielman - Thoughts?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Whatever, it is just my opinion. I think they look stupid, are ugly and are way over the line of wearing a costume. Then again, civil war reenactors look pretty weird to me as well.

I have never cared when people ridiculed my choices, and reserve the right to do the same.

More to the point is, with what would you wear a pair of contrast top button boots? Would you also don your morning coat or frock?

I think this is lost on many people. Matt took a lot of shite, and rightfully so, for those glasses and that striped jacket. He took it well. In terms of pink pants, shirts etc, there is a world of difference between that and button boots. While taste is obviously subjective, it's rather weak when you post something on the net and then get bent out of shape because not everyone loves it. While the sanity of anyone who wears that striped jacket should be questioned, it's not a style of garment that was popular over 100 years ago. Anyway, the important thing here children is to wear whatever you like and not to really care so much about what is said about them on an internet forum.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think this is lost on many people. Matt took a lot of shite, and rightfully so, for those glasses and that striped jacket. He took it well. In terms of pink pants, shirts etc, there is a world of difference between that and button boots. While taste is obviously subjective, it's rather weak when you post something on the net and then get bent out of shape because not everyone loves it. While the sanity of anyone who wears that striped jacket should be questioned, it's not a style of garment that was popular over 100 years ago. Anyway, the important thing here children is to wear whatever you like and not to really care so much about what is said about them on an internet forum.

Exactly
bigstar[1].gif
Wear what you want and like.....period!

As for the boots I have to agree with Iammatt. Just MHO. If they were all calf with laces they would be my cup of tea.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More to the point is, with what would you wear a pair of contrast top button boots?
If I had a pair, a suit would be the only choice.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense intended, but if you had a pair, your pants would fit differently.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by robin
If I had a pair, a suit would be the only choice.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think they look stupid, are ugly and are way over the line of wearing a costume.
In my opinion, the only occasion button boots should be worn is a local amateur dramatics performance of "The Importance of Being Earnest",
but if it floats someone's boat......

Hey, I'm liberal (in the continental meaning of the word)

broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant ...

having political or social views favouring reform and progress

tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Whatever, it is just my opinion. I think they look stupid, are ugly and are way over the line of wearing a costume. Then again, civil war reenactors look pretty weird to me as well.

I have never cared when people ridiculed my choices, and reserve the right to do the same.

More to the point is, with what would you wear a pair of contrast top button boots? Would you also don your morning coat or frock?

Since you asked, I would wear them with light brown / khaki suits on weekdays, and maybe even odd trousers and a sportcoat on Fridays. The button portion of the boots would be unseen underneath my trousers.

For someone who revels in his own distinct choices, you seem to have very virulent opinions on clothing that you do not appreciate. I have absolutely no issue with anyone posting negative comments (like the ones posted by other members in this thread) - they serve to often educate me and restrain my own dubious purchases. Just save the attitude (and your manners).

ET

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
musicboohoo[1].gif
They are no more hideous than any other style of dress boot. Even most typical men would definitely do a "wtf?" if they saw one of us wearing something like these with a suit, which everyone was lusting over last week: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...hell-cordovan/

I can't stand those laced dress boots. It makes me think of what a businessman into S&M would wear; they also have a certain working class/utilitarian look about them for some reason which negates any sort of elegance they may have had were the laces concealed.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I can't stand those laced dress boots..... they also have a certain working class/utilitarian look about them for some reason which negates any sort of elegance they may have had were the laces concealed.
I like them....Derby boots are known in England as "Old Man's Boots", they have a rather old-fashioned charme.

But spectators, co-respondents (which you seem to like), those are really hidious...., unbecoming to a gentleman.

Horses for courses!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like balmoral boots and have several pairs myself. I really wish I had the guts to wear spectators, as some of them are stunning (the London Lounge model, in particular, is amazing).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I like balmoral boots and have several pairs myself. I really wish I had the guts to wear spectators, as some of them are stunning (the London Lounge model, in particular, is amazing).

So you'd wear button boots but not spectators? I find button boots costumier than specs, though I don't wear either. (I'm afraid that first sentence sounds snide, but it isn't meant to be.)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's always interested me how spectators managed to survive over the years given the relative flamboyance and unconventional look of the shoe but maybe that's exactly what ensured its survival.

I can't help but be reminded of glorified army boots with regards to balmorals. Button boots I can stand, but no doubt they are slightly less "retro" than spatted shoes.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd consider wearing button boots for my wedding with a stroller, that is about it. But who knows, if Hugo Boss came out with its own interpretation I might like it, but not a classic looking pair like the ones shown.

The more unconventional the garments, the more difficult they are to pull off, though I'm sure some people could pull it off just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads