1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of ordering bespoke button boots from Jan Kielman - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Oct 17, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

the reason for the zipper is that no one makes button hooks any more.

They're rather readily available on the used/antique markets.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Kielman can make the boots sans zipper in the traditional manner.

4. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

I like them. I wouldn't wear them myself--they are a bit costumey--but if I saw them on someone else, I'd be intrigued, not repelled. Keep us posted!

5. Krawczak

Krawczak Well-Known Member

If I had a pair of button boots, I would rock them so hard it would show up on seismographs. Particularly these http://www.rakuten.co.jp/otsuka/669573/669587/.
    Sorry for the rant, but... <SNIP> If I see a guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit, I think nothing of it. If I see button boots or red trimmed black shoes, I think what a freak, why would any sane person wear those. To me they show an ultimate lack of any sort of style. OK, thanks.
    I feel just the opposite. A Men's Wearhouse suit betrays a complete lack of *style*. I agree there's nothing wrong with it, but it's a paint-by-numbers approach that requires no independent thought or care in one's appearance besides the fulfilling of requirements. With spectators, button boots, weirdly high gorges, etc, on the other hand - that's definitely style. You might not like the look, but you can't deny that the person has put thought and effort into their look and made it their own. Besides, who wants to look like a sane person? Regards, Alexander

6. sully

sully Senior member

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Fwiw, I'd buy button boots in the right colours, old-fashionness be damned. I just like boots [​IMG]

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

With spectators, button boots, weirdly high gorges, etc, on the other hand - that's definitely style. You might not like the look, but you can't deny that the person has put thought and effort into their look and made it their own. Besides, who wants to look like a sane person?

Style is subjective and everyone from a punk rocker to a mod to a ivy prepster to a cowboy can have their own style.

Though I wasn't aware that making something your own always qualified you as having good style.