• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tokyo Slim's top fives

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
No Office?
confused.gif

Crap, I knew I forgot something. Definitely need to add that as I'm morally opposed to the U.S. version. I updated it. Thanks.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Manu might have been there a couple of years ago but he's lost a step, I'd put Ray Allen and probably Michael Redd ahead of him at this point. I do agree with your list, though I think Isaiah Thomas deserves an honorable mention. Top 5 coolest basketball nicknames: 1. Basketball Jesus 2. The Logo 3. The Big "O" 4. Dr. J 5. The Human Highlight Reel
"Wilt the Stilt" displaces "The Human Highlight Reel" at number five. Also, I'd put Arenas above Iverson and add T-Mac to the list of shooting guards, as they really do play the 2 spot. I guess "The Answer" is bumped off the list, since I think he's lost a step. Top 5 NBA centers of all time: 1) Wilt 2) Bill Russell (though it pains me to admit it) 3) Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 4) Shaq 5) Hakeem Great thread TS!

water

Reaction score
Top five Scotsmen:
1.) David Hume
2.) Adam Smith
3.) Lord Byron
4.) William Ewart Gladstone
5.) SEAN FUCKIN' CONNERY
Lord Byron and Gladstone Scottish? That's pretty tenuous.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
"Wilt the Stilt" displaces "The Human Highlight Reel" at number five. Also, I'd put Arenas above Iverson and add T-Mac to the list of shooting guards, as they really do play the 2 spot. I guess "The Answer" is bumped off the list, since I think he's lost a step. Top 5 NBA centers of all time: 1) Wilt 2) Bill Russell (though it pains me to admit it) 3) Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 4) Shaq 5) Hakeem Great thread TS!
I'm a lifelong Laker fan, but I don't understand anybody not putting Russell at number 1. The point of the game is to win. Everything else - scoring, blocks, rebounds, passing, defense - is in service of the end result. Wilt was on some good teams that didn't win it all. Russell won 11 titles in a 13 year career. He was the man, plain and simple. I don't care about his stat line. I watched Magic's whole career, and there were many nights when his final stat line had nothing, but it was clear if you watched that he controlled the game from the opening tip. For that reason, I would put peak Kareem at 2, peak Shaq at 3 and Hakeem at 4, with questionable-winning-mentality Wilt at 5. On that note, my all time starting five, in order of how big their gap over the second choice would be. 1. MJ 2. Magic 3. Russell 4. Bird 5. Timmay!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm a lifelong Laker fan, but I don't understand anybody not putting Russell at number 1. The point of the game is to win. Everything else - scoring, blocks, rebounds, passing, defense - is in service of the end result. Wilt was on some good teams that didn't win it all. Russell won 11 titles in a 13 year career. He was the man, plain and simple. I don't care about his stat line. I watched Magic's whole career, and there were many nights when his final stat line had nothing, but it was clear if you watched that he controlled the game from the opening tip. For that reason, I would put peak Kareem at 2, peak Shaq at 3 and Hakeem at 4, with questionable-winning-mentality Wilt at 5.

On that note, my all time starting five, in order of how big their gap over the second choice would be.

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Russell
4. Bird
5. Timmay!

So your only change would be moving Wilt down to 5 and bumping everyone else up one. Wilt dominated his era like no one else and won the championship when he had a decent supporting cast. I'll admit my view of Russell is influenced by never having seen him play.

I'm not sure Duncan would be my power forward, but I'm not sure he wouldn't either. I might go with Garnett, though I think the jury's still out on each one's place in histrory until their careers are finished. Obviously, both are among the all-time greats.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's go with Top 5 basketball movies:

1. Hoosiers
2. Hoop Dreams
3. Blue Chips
4. He Got Game
5. The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Let's go with Top 5 basketball movies:

1. Hoosiers
2. Hoop Dreams
3. Blue Chips
4. He Got Game
5. The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

Good list that left out the obvious duds (Forget Paris, Sixth Man, Celtic Pride, Basketball Diaries, Space Jam, Above the Rim) although I probably would have had "White Men Can't Jump" or "Love & Basketball" in the fifth spot. Top 5 football movies: 1) Any Given Sunday 2) Rudy (as much as I hate the Irish) 3) Necessary Roughness 4) The Longest Yard (original) 5) The Replacements

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Good list that left out the obvious duds (Forget Paris, Sixth Man, Celtic Pride, Basketball Diaries, Space Jam, Above the Rim) although I probably would have had "White Men Can't Jump" or "Love & Basketball" in the fifth spot.

Top 5 football movies:
1) Any Given Sunday
2) Rudy (as much as I hate the Irish)
3) Necessary Roughness
4) The Longest Yard (original)
5) The Replacements

I also left out Eddie and Air Bud.
smile.gif

I forgot about White Men Can't Jump, and I never saw Love & Basketball, but I remember it getting good reviews.

I think my football list would go like this:

1. The Longest Yard (original)
2. North Dallas Forty
3. Rudy
4. Brian's Song
5. Heaven Can Wait

I never saw Knute Rockne All American, so I can't put it on my list even though it's a classic. Also, I always liked The Program, but not enough to supplant any of the movies on my list.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen "Necessary Roughness," put that on your netflix queue. Pretty damn funny flick.

I have seen it. It's not top 5 for me, but I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the scene where they played the prison inmantes in a scrimmage, made up of Dick Butkus, Jerry Rice, and Evander Holyfield, among others. It also features Sinbad at what was the height of his career.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I think my football list would go like this:

1. The Longest Yard (original)
2. North Dallas Forty
3. Rudy
4. Brian's Song
5. Heaven Can Wait

I hate American football and do not understand why anyone would want to watch it, much less a movie about it.

In that vein, here are my top five things that I don't understand (in order of which baffles me the most):

1. string theory
2. the inability to stand up and give your seat on the bus to an old lady
3. mastery of foreign languages
4. rolling backpacks (there should be quotation marks in there somewhere)
5. women's clothes sizing

b

Earthmover

Reaction score
Top 5 football movies:
1) Any Given Sunday
2) Rudy (as much as I hate the Irish)
3) Necessary Roughness
4) The Longest Yard (original)
5) The Replacements

I can understand most of this, except that Keanu movie; I'd certainly replace that with Friday Night Lights.

Top 5 bad, but I-watch-every-time-because-I-love-unintentional-comedy "sports" movies:

1. Rocky 4
2. Major League 2
3. Rookie of the Year
4. Victory (Pele, the best footballer ever... and Michael Caine, the worst footballer ever)
5. Summer Catch (okay, Jessica Biel really helps here)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I can understand most of this, except that Keanu movie; I'd certainly replace that with Friday Night Lights. Top 5 bad, but I-watch-every-time-because-I-love-unintentional-comedy "sports" movies: 1. Rocky 4 2. Major League 2 3. Rookie of the Year 4. Victory (Pele, the best footballer ever... and Michael Caine, the worst footballer ever) 5. Summer Catch (okay, Jessica Biel really helps here)
Says the guy who not only admits to watching "Rookie of the Year," but has it at #3. I'll leave "Catch" out of this completely because I wouldn't stoop so low. FNL/Remember the Titans/We Are Marshall/etc etc etc. are all the same film and format only with different actors. Regardless of whether or not you like Keanu "Replacements" is a funny film. I liken it to the "Slapshot" of football films.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
deadhorse-a.gif
Wilt's stats almost defy comprehension and despite the urban legend, he played against many big men. He was the only center ever to lead the league in assists. His second season he average 50pts/28rebs. I can see the argument for putting Russell ahead of him, although I disagree, but to put anyone else above him at center is ludicrous. He was easily the athletic equal of anyone playing the game since and scored in buckets.

Top Starting Five (based on how they would play as a team, not the five best):

1. West
2. Jordan
3. Pippen
4. Rodman
5. Russell

This would be the triangle offense run to perfection, with Paxson/Kerr replaced by one of the best shooters ever and Cartwright/Longley replaced with the best defensive center ever.

Okay, enough of the basketball hijacking of this thread.

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Top Starting Five (based on how they would play as a team, not the five best):

1. West
2. Jordan
3. Pippen
4. Rodman
5. Russell

worship.gif
+1

Top 5 Stanley Kubrick films, this was really hard since I love all of his movies...
1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Barry Lyndon
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. The Shining

Wish I could stick full metal jacket in there
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics