• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lifestyle changes that improved your life

mr.loverman

Reaction score
what were some of the most rewarding lifestyle changes that you guys have made?

working out? getting a new job? finding a new girl? getting a new hobby?

partying/not partying? dressing well?

for me i'd say getting more interested in people and being less judgemental. also eating right and staying in shape.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
what were some of the most rewarding lifestyle changes that you guys have made?

working out? getting a new job? finding a new girl? getting a new hobby?

partying/not partying? dressing well?

for me i'd say getting more interested in people and being less judgemental. also eating right and staying in shape.

Quitting mmorpgs, although sometimes i miss it. I was such a sexy wood elf.
lol8[1].gif

Seriously though, ganking people and the big wars were a blast.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not using my car very often (once every 1-2 weeks) I really like riding my bike to work and taking the bus to school. It isn't the most convenient thing to do in Omaha and it takes about twice as long to get to where you need to go, but I have read more books in the last month than I have in the last two or three years.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Distance running (up to the marathon) and joining Toastmasters have made the biggest improvements in my life over the past ten years. I would even put Toastmasters over my MBA in improving my career (but that is always subject to change).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
deciding to move to america.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Hitting the gym / doing cardio almost every day

- Making a commitment to cut down on drinking when not necessary (i.e. drink only on weekends and do not feel guilty about that)

- Taking control of my relationships with the opposite sex and not taking any ****. Playing on my own terms. Being willing to walk away. Losing all neediness. This all comes from success.

- Becoming busy. It is my personal belief that a person with a lot of things to do (genuinely) is more interesting and certainly more respectable. This includes hobbies, activities, organizations, etc.

- Cooking nearly all my own food. Minimize the amount you eat from "take out" and from restaurants. Again, do not turn down a fun dinner, but when possible be healthy about this. It makes you feel in control of your health and well-being and the positive changes in your mood and body should be evident.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Distance running (up to the marathon) and joining Toastmasters have made the biggest improvements in my life over the past ten years. I would even put Toastmasters over my MBA in improving my career (but that is always subject to change).

I am interested in joining. Can you tell me the benefits/learning curve/anxiety of your experiences? Thanks.

kakemono

Reaction score
losing 60lbs would be right up there... it was 60lbs of eating habit change, no additional excersize, and i didint cut back bad food. All about portion control and timing.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was commuting I finally started driving more slowly and not worrying about other drivers' habits that didn't affect me.

Then I moved into the city and drive about once a week for 5 miles (grocery store and back). It's amazing. I'm much less stressed and have a little more change in my pocket.

Actually working out and watching my diet will be even bigger. When it happens.

b

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I embraced a constructive admonishment from Mizanation and became more serious regarding my martial art training and practice. The results have been rapid, substantial and lauded. I owe him.
worship2.gif

Also,

I recently discovered that foods from the nightshade family are bad for my psoriatic arthritis so I eliminated my much loved eggplant parm, cut way back on spuds and tomato sauce. The change quickly resulted in greatly reduced swelling and pain and allowed me to fully participate in a two day, 16 hour total, grueling martial arts workshop that included strikes, joint locks and throws with no damage to the knee joint.
thumbs-up.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got serious about life and started my undergrad at age 25. It has paid off in a huge way.

Met the right person at age 30 and after a string of women I could not be faithful too, found out it's easy with the person that compliments you properly and fooling around on someone is often really not all about the sex (but it is about the sex too!). A good relationship makes you able to accomplish more in your life IMO.

Signed off ever carrying a balance on a credit card at age 29 after reading "The Millionaire Next Door". I took to heart the concept of living nicely, but below your means.

Between going back to school, finding the right partner, and taking control of my finances, my life totally turned around for the better.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Challenging myself intellectually with dense books and growing older have benefited me. I'm not sure I can describe how. I suppose I'll have to settle for the words character or substance, although I would hesitate to be the judge of my own character.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started keeping track of every penny that goes in and out of my hands. I basically write down all incoming and outgoing expenses. It is AMAZING to find out where all of one's money goes!

Then, I monitered my spending habits and was able to adjust my spending plan to use my money more for what I REALLY wanted instead of wasting it on smaller, less worthwhile things.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order:

Working out/losing weight in my early 20's.

Meeting my wife.

Leaving my old job for my current job.

Getting married.

Having children.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads