• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos - a fashion statement?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Nothing more entertaining than reading a bunch of square old (and young that act like old men) geezers rant about tattoos

the couple sensible posters in that thread (guy named rip and cruiser) needs to ditch that sod-squad

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never considered getting one and didn't know it was so common place until I moved into the workforce. Tattoos aren't my thing. I wouldn't hate someone for it or shy away from someone but if I wanted to marry a girl, tattoos are something I'd consider as a negative.

It's not that they're for losers or gangstas or what not but it's not something I'd want to get into personally, and marrying a girl would be getting intimately involved with her on a personal level.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Nothing more entertaining than reading a bunch of square old (and young that act like old men) geezers rant about tattoos

the couple sensible posters in that thread (guy named rip and cruiser) needs to ditch that sod-squad

Yeah, I read that thread. Found it LOL funny.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Guess my only question would be...which came first? Tattoo or clothes? I'd bet tattoo....

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
The Tattoo of a future world leader.

Is that Barack Obama? I guess every presidential candidate has a skeleton or two in his closet.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
face+tattoo+for+the+vegan+edge+band+earth+crisis
now this guy is a legend. I can't find the more recent pictures of him, but he has had some covered up with tribals.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Sauce, if you are still considering tattoo designs how about this- In keeping with my theme of incorporating the topographical features of your body into the design of the tattoo- How about baby Jessica emerging from your belly button while a cast of salt of the earth americana either aides her or looks on triumphantly, all on a 8 by 6 waving american flag background. If its not busy enough for you then go ahead and add an american eagle proudly smiling from atop a cloud off to the side of the flag.
Add "stock" figures to taste. Business man, trucker, house wife, sports figure, village person etc - hell, a long dead family figure. It was an important event.

If you are uncomfortable with such "graphic" patriotism you could go the enviro route. Baby seal emerging from hole/belly button in ice and embraced by greenpeace activists or the religious figure of your choice. Jesus, buddha , Al Sharpton. or how about just his head popping up, his big brown eyes imploring us in dainty calligraphy to stop global warming now!

Or how about the arms and bright yellow helmet of a spelunker emerging from your belly button if you want a simple more stylized design ( you know, like a highway sign or restroom guy).

That guy was right. This is good stuff.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buddy kyle has some pinup girls tattooed on his legs but he is a Rockabilly/Psychobilly guy and it fits his image.

Personally I dont have any, I thought about getting the Oldschool Toyota Corolla badge tattoed on my body somewhere (its a C with a crown of 3 flowers on top, my name also starts with C) but dont want to risk getting kicked out of an Onsen at this time.

Sauce, I have the perfect one for you. I have been talking about this tat for years as a joke but since you are always the man with the jeans I suggest you get some real intricate tat of a pair of raw denim, waist down full coverage to the ankle (yeah, zipper/Penis tattoo included). You would never have to buy pants again, and think about it, as you age your skin will naturally develop Whiskers on the *Jeans*

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
badtat.jpg

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Larry gets home late one night and his wife, Linda, says, "Where in the hell have you been?"
Larry replies, "I was out getting a tattoo."
A tattoo?" she frowned. "What kind of tattoo did you get?"
I got a Fifty Pound note on my privates," he said proudly.
"What the hell were you thinking?" she said, shaking her head in disdain. "Why on earth would an accountant get a Fifty Pound note tattooed on his privates?"
Well, for one...I like to watch my money grow.
Two...once in a while I like to play with my money.
Three...I like how money feels in my hand.
And, lastly...instead of you going out wasting money on shopping, you can stay right here at home and blow Fifty quid anytime you want."

ajn946

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
GS, I always tell people that by getting tattoos on the arms/wrists/necks, etc., that they are drastically limiting how they can dress once the have to have a porfessional job. Did you take it into consideration, and do you consider it to be somewhat of a hassle, or do you think it was worth it to get them and just deal with covering them up? I haven't gotten any and don't particularly plan on it, but I know people where I work (an office) make almost no effort to cover up the tattoos on the backs of their shoulders and even on their cleavage in one case. The receptionist has a tongue ring (yeah, she's a whore). I just don't see how some people don't make any effort to cover them up when it comes to working in a professional environment.

Also, on a side note, Jason: Have you got another job aside from TaT? I thought I read in the other thread that you just run TaT on the side.

Funny you should say that. I have a friend who is covered in tats, legs, arms, back etc. I knew he was a fighter (MMA fighter), big guy. Anyway, I heard him saying how stressful his job was one day and I said to him I thought you were a fighter, he responded in saying, na that is on the side I manage the equities divison for big investment bank (Australia's biggest). I thought that was funny.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Larry gets home late one night and his wife, Linda, says, "Where in the hell have you been?"
"What the hell were you thinking?" she said, shaking her head in disdain. "Why on earth would an accountant get a Fifty Pound note tattooed on his privates?"
And, lastly...instead of you going out wasting money on shopping, you can stay right here at home and blow Fifty quid anytime you want."

crackup[1].gif

single speed

Reaction score
the way i see it, is yeah, it all depends on you and what you do. does that stop stares and glares at saks or nordstrom...no. got my fill last weekend. would i like to get them removed? at this point, yes. anyone else in this boat? i want them gone NOT so i won't be stared at, but for personal reasons. again, anyone else? not just A tattoo, but many...

oneblood

Reaction score
I think that the tattoos I see are rarely original and often rather ugly. A friend of mine once said, "I have a mouth, I have hands, a brain, I can express things. There is nothing I need to express so strongly that it needs to be permanently on my body."

Brennan Huff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads