1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tattoos - a fashion statement?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hchamp, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

The Tattoo of a future world leader.
    [​IMG]

2. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

i have two both on my right hand. i agree they're quite common. i've actually seen more tattoos than watches when i went to college.

3. Mansfield

Mansfield Member

tattoos- not a fashion statement.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

What the hell are you even trying to state?

5. Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio

Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio Senior member

I had Darren Beaman tat me up to account for my scoliosis.

6. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Only if the Tatoo says "The Devil Wears Prada" is it a fashion statement.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

8. Gilead

Gilead Senior member

Of course, a 19 year old girl who gets the stereotypical "emo chest tattoo" with various stars, sparrows, hearts, etc... is still going to feel stupid when they are 75 years old - but yeah - there are plenty of hot suicide girls out there [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just a nitpick, but the stereotypical "emo chest tattoo" of a bird is a swallow, not a sparrow, I have a sparrow on me that I designed and I can't stand those generic swallow tats.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I guess could imagine bringing home a nasty suicide girl for a one night fling, but I don't think I could seriously befriend anyone with a tattoo.

If that 36% statistic is correct, I live a sheltered life in the city.

Evidently.

10. hchamp

hchamp Senior member

If you don't want to seem pretentious, boring or shallow, get a dotted line around your neck with "cut here"

LOL

My bad. By "fashion statement", I just meant do you consider how your tattoo is going to look with your style, your "fashion statement"? Does this figure into the equation at all? A lot of people put tattoos in places that can be seen even with clothes on, so it isn't just a personal thing but also a public statement just like clothes.

11. mcflip

mcflip Member

keep in mind that I'm going to assume that 75% of that 36% (so what... that leaves all but 9%) of tattooed people out there are frat boys/sorority girls with bad kanji on their shoulder blades, or some weird tribal sun thing in a similarly remote part of their body. I mean, no judgement on my part, but most people responding to these surveys probably don't fall under the "looks like a greaser" umbrella. The go to Padre and get ripped to the tits and get tazmanian devils with lacrosse sticks or something.

I'm still trying to figure out why people in the ghetto (no, I promise I'm not being race specific here at all) get their own names tattooed on themselves. I live in Philly and I'm convinced people here have the worst tattoos per capita in the world.

12. op2

op2 Well-Known Member

Tattoos... hmmm.
    Well to be honest, most people I know do not treat them as a fashion statement, and get hideously ugly tattoos. Few people can actually pull it off well, in my opinion. When it is pulled off well, it works.

But when it doesn't...

13. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I want to get a tattoo of a Scorpion.

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I'm getting a huge portrait of Thom Browne on my back.

Sexy.

15. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

LA has to to be up there for awful ill considered tat's.
    You have these collegiate gimps getting totally sleeved overnight, leg tats from knee to ankle and their demeanor just doesn't support what they've done. These guys 2 years ago were still shopping with their parents at American Eagle & A&F and now try to pull off some gangster shit.
    GS is one of the few fellas were it absolutely works and supports his attitude, dress sense and interests in music and culture. SoCals Iron Man tattoo is a pleasant surprise; though it opposes his refined sense of dress this is what makes it interesting for me. You can define him by his clothes but the tattoo throws a wrench in your/my conclusion about his personality and interests.
    Then the girls with the back neck tattoo's and the tramp stamp obscured by some funky skank G String eeuuchhhh!.

I’m going to invest in a So Cal tattoo removal franchise and make some big buckeroo's.

16. xchen

xchen Senior member

Tattoos are for losers and faggots

Uh.. yeah you are my hero. [​IMG]

17. Rome

Rome Senior member

I think Lord of the Rings tattoos are fashion statements.

It says to the world "Fuck, I should have gone with Star Wars!"

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

GS is one of the few fellas were it absolutely works and supports his attitude, dress sense and interests in music and culture. .

I'm going to invest in a So Cal tattoo removal franchise and make some big buckeroo's.

It's true. I RULE

ever seen Doctor Tat-Off on Wilshire, just before you get into Bev Hills?

19. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

It's true. I RULE

ever seen Doctor Tat-Off on Wilshire, just before you get into Bev Hills?

Yeah you rule, I see "San-Gabe Valley Asian Of The Year 2007" on the horizon.

Docter Tat-Off, what a great name!.

20. xchen

xchen Senior member

GS, I always tell people that by getting tattoos on the arms/wrists/necks, etc., that they are drastically limiting how they can dress once the have to have a porfessional job. Did you take it into consideration, and do you consider it to be somewhat of a hassle, or do you think it was worth it to get them and just deal with covering them up? I haven't gotten any and don't particularly plan on it, but I know people where I work (an office) make almost no effort to cover up the tattoos on the backs of their shoulders and even on their cleavage in one case. The receptionist has a tongue ring (yeah, she's a whore). I just don't see how some people don't make any effort to cover them up when it comes to working in a professional environment.

Also, on a side note, Jason: Have you got another job aside from TaT? I thought I read in the other thread that you just run TaT on the side.