1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tattoos - a fashion statement?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hchamp, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hchamp

hchamp Senior member

I just heard that 36% of Americans between the ages 18 and 29 have tattoos. I knew they were popular and see a lot of them, but I didn't think they were this popular.

I don't have one and have never even considered getting one. So I'm curious about why people do this? And do they consider their fashion "look" when they choose one?

2. JamesATX

JamesATX Member

I think most of the time it is a personal decision, usually the tattoo has some emotional significance. Unless you are getting a tribal tattoo, that's done to be trendy.

3. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

I'm not sure I'd call them fashionable. IMHO they are more like a trend you keep forever (or until you cover them up with clothing or pay to have them removed). I think for something to be fashionable it has to be easily removed.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Most people who have bad tattoos say "it's personal" as a defence.

In high school I knew someone who got the eternal dragon of DBZ fame on his arm when he was 17.

[​IMG]

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think Lord of the Rings tattoos are fashion statements.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I'm getting a huge portrait of Thom Browne on my back.

7. Badseeds

Badseeds Senior member

i am never a fan of tattoos. hot girls w/ cute tattoos are different tho.

Socal, dont get thom browne on your back, get Mr. Rick owens instead, w/ high heels. [​IMG]

8. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

I guess could imagine bringing home a nasty suicide girl for a one night fling, but I don't think I could seriously befriend anyone with a tattoo.

If that 36% statistic is correct, I live a sheltered life in the city.

9. kai-wun

kai-wun Active Member

I guess could imagine bringing home a nasty suicide girl for a one night fling, but I don't think I could seriously befriend anyone with a tattoo.

If that 36% statistic is correct, I live a sheltered life in the city.

I would think so.

Though I have to say most of my friends do NOT have tattoos, my favourite one has at least 5. And they're unbelievably adorable. =)

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I have friends with tats, but I don't think I could marry a chick with tats. To each his own I guess.

Jon.

11. ken

ken Senior member

Bumper stickers I've seen lately:

Life is short, tattoos are not, so get one now before you rot!

You can be cheap when buying your shoes, but not your tattoos!

The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't give a damn that you don't have tattoos.

12. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

I think that part of it is just the cultural/social changes over the years.... we are becoming a far more understanding and accepting of other's lifestyle choices, including piercing and tattoo fanatics...

Seriously, image it's 1955 and a guy walks into a store with a face full of piercings... he's probably not going to be able to walk out of the store without being harassed. Now in 2007 he might get some funny looks but for the most part everyone just shugs it off and accepts it.

Hell, onlookers probably have kids with posters of tattooed and pierced bands all over their walls. They'll shake their head and say "I don't get those kids" the same way that their parents did when they, as a teenager, had shaggy hair or something.

Of course, a 19 year old girl who gets the stereotypical "emo chest tattoo" with various stars, sparrows, hearts, etc... is still going to feel stupid when they are 75 years old - but yeah - there are plenty of hot suicide girls out there [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Tattoos are for losers and faggots

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Tattoos are for losers and faggots

[​IMG]

Jon.

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I've wanted a tattoo for a long time, but I can't decide on anything that doesn't seem either completely pretentious, or boring and shallow. [​IMG]

I should have a contest! "Design a tattoo for Sauce", everyone submits art, I pick the one I like best... you'll get to see your creation in WAYW!

16. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

Oh, did I need smiley faces next to my post?

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I've wanted a tattoo for a long time, but I can't decide on anything that doesn't seem either completely pretentious, or boring and shallow. [​IMG]

I should have a contest! "Design a tattoo for Sauce", everyone submits art, I pick the one I like best... you'll get to see your creation in WAYW!

If you don't want to seem pretentious, boring or shallow, get a dotted line around your neck with "cut here"

or better, PHILLY THUG arhced across your stomach in old english lettering

18. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

If you don't want to seem pretentious, boring or shallow, get a dotted line around your neck with "cut here" or better, PHILLY THUG arhced across your stomach in old english lettering
    Maybe I'll just duplicate all my character's tattoos from GTA San Andreas. It'll be like I'm hardcore just by association. Association with a video game character. Yeah. [​IMG] Oh, I've got one: "No Fat Chicks", tattooed on the obliques.

19. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Saucemaster is the fresh prince of San Andreas?

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Oh, I've got one: "No Fat Chicks", tattooed on the obliques.

as the Descendents sang "NFB"

No fat beaver
    No fat beaver
    That's why I'm gonna leave her
    Can't stand fat beaver

maybe get that on your ribcage