• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing on Levi's 501 shrink to fit

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Yes I think I'll get the APCs, I tried on a 32x34 that fit me very well only that it was longer than I like to wear my jeans. As I dislike too much break on trousers I also dislike the jeans stacking.

The rule of thumb for buying APCs is to size down 2, which means if your jeans waist size is 32, you'll need to get a pair in 30. APCs jeans stretch like no other, so the 32 pair that fit you nicely now would be unwearable in a few weeks. Conversely, you might have a hard time putting on the sz. 30 pair, but they'll soon stretch to a perfect fit.

Do you think if I get those APCs the inseam after the wash will be less than 31" ?
No, they don't shrink that much. Just get them hemmed.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
I don't know man, I'd stay stick with the 501stfs. You can get 3 pairs for slightly less than one pair of APC NS. So all they have to do is each last you a third as long as the NS would, and you still got your money's worth. Yes, like some people warned, they do shrink, but that's the point. Just get a 36" inseam, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Also, the NS is a much slimmer cut than the 501, so I don't really even think they're comparable. If you're buying 501 because you like the cut, the NS is a bad choice. Nudie Average Joe is comparable, but they're much more noticeable, since they have orange stitching and a garish pocket design. Sure, the APC might have higher quality denim. I don't think everyone always needs to buy jeans that cost $150+, you know? If you are looking for higher quality denim similar to the 501, though, I'd go with Skulls or Samurais if you don't get a pair of Levi's Vintage 501s. Nudies fade too fast and stand out too much in a crowd, and if you're looking at 501's, that's probably not what you're in the market for.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
I don't know man, I'd stay stick with the 501stfs. You can get 3 pairs for slightly less than one pair of APC NS. So all they have to do is each last you a third as long as the NS would, and you still got your money's worth. Yes, like some people warned, they do shrink, but that's the point. Just get a 36" inseam, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also, the NS is a much slimmer cut than the 501, so I don't really even think they're comparable. If you're buying 501 because you like the cut, the NS is a bad choice. Nudie Average Joe is comparable, but they're much more noticeable, since they have orange stitching and a garish pocket design. Sure, the APC might have higher quality denim. I don't think everyone always needs to buy jeans that cost $150+, you know? If you are looking for higher quality denim similar to the 501, though, I'd go with Skulls or Samurais if you don't get a pair of Levi's Vintage 501s. Nudies fade too fast and stand out too much in a crowd, and if you're looking at 501's, that's probably not what you're in the market for.
The APC is a 501 inspired jean, and has a nearly identical cut. It's not at all slimmer than the 501. In fact it's roomier than the 501 size for size, and by quite a bit. Also, it's a much much more durable jean than the 501 STF and I think it will last more than three times longer. Finally, lakewolf, the rest of your clothing seems to be pretty high quality, I wouldn't skimp by buying cheap jeans. Get APCs in size 30, and have them hemmed about 1" longer than you think you want to wear them, to account for shrinkage when washing, and you'll be good to go. In about a day or two, the jeans will have stretched enough for you to wear them comfortably and in a few weeks they should fit perfect. Also, they are much more color fast than 501 STF. The quality of the denim is heavier and more tightly woven as well.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is something I don't understand

Is it then that Levi's 501s shrink at the waist and APC stretch ?

If I normally wear a preshrunk 501 31x32, (and I feel now that I could need a 32x32 as I gained some weight ) then

1. I should get a 501 STF in 32x36 or 33x36 because they will shrink 1" at waist and 3" at inseam
2. I should get an APC in 30x34 and have them hemmed after the wash as they would stretcht 1" at the waist

Is that right ?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is something I don't understand

Is it then that Levi's 501s shrink at the waist and APC stretch ?

If I normally wear a preshrunk 501 31x32, (and I feel now that I could need a 32x32 as I gained some weight ) then

1. I should get a 501 STF in 32x36 or 33x36 because they will shrink 1" at waist and 3" at inseam
2. I should get an APC in 30x34 and have them hemmed after the wash as they would stretcht 1" at the waist

Is that right ?

APCs are "vanity sized" meaning that the actual waist measurement of the jeans is about 1" bigger than the tagged size. They also stretch a lot. If you are actually a 32, going with the 30 will be fine. You seem like you don't want a really slim fit so you will probably be ok with 30 rather than 29.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks drizzt, actually I saw your pics and you seem to dress in a similar way I do when I go clubbing,

Jeans, dress shoes and a nice dress shirt worn informally. in my case minimal break or no stacking in the jeans

I also have my chest larger I have 40" chest and it should be 38" to have a more proportioned measurements.

I think I'd give a try to those APC, however I was thinking in doing that experiment with the STF 501's because if I get a pair of APCs and the shrinking/stretching goes wrong I'd have spent $150 for the try instead of $35,

I have worn 501s since I was a kid so I maybe don't know better about jeans
wink.gif
, I have tried on some brand jeans as pepe, dior, trussardi, kaporal 5, but I didn't liked them or maybe simply I am not used to see myself on them.

I feel that I look best in a pair of nice trousers, but jeans are needed for many situations so that is why my question was posted.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think once you wear the APC for a bit you'll understand what all the fuss is about. They really are very nice jeans that are 501 inspired so the cut should feel familiar. If you're going to a store to try them on, you should basically get them as tight as you can button up, because they will stretch to be pretty loose over time.

Thanks drizzt, actually I saw your pics and you seem to dress in a similar way I do when I go clubbing,

Jeans, dress shoes and a nice dress shirt worn informally. in my case minimal break or no stacking in the jeans

I also have my chest larger I have 40" chest and it should be 38" to have a more proportioned measurements.

I think I'd give a try to those APC, however I was thinking in doing that experiment with the STF 501's because if I get a pair of APCs and the shrinking/stretching goes wrong I'd have spent $150 for the try instead of $35,

I have worn 501s since I was a kid so I maybe don't know better about jeans
wink.gif
, I have tried on some brand jeans as pepe, dior, trussardi, kaporal 5, but I didn't liked them or maybe simply I am not used to see myself on them.

I feel that I look best in a pair of nice trousers, but jeans are needed for many situations so that is why my question was posted.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
They sure do feel a lot nicer than STFs
inlove.gif

If you ever really want a pair of Levi's though then you should probably take a look at the vintage collection at Cultizm.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The APC is a 501 inspired jean, and has a nearly identical cut. It's not at all slimmer than the 501. In fact it's roomier than the 501 size for size, and by quite a bit. Also, it's a much much more durable jean than the 501 STF and I think it will last more than three times longer. Finally, lakewolf, the rest of your clothing seems to be pretty high quality, I wouldn't skimp by buying cheap jeans. Get APCs in size 30, and have them hemmed about 1" longer than you think you want to wear them, to account for shrinkage when washing, and you'll be good to go. In about a day or two, the jeans will have stretched enough for you to wear them comfortably and in a few weeks they should fit perfect. Also, they are much more color fast than 501 STF. The quality of the denim is heavier and more tightly woven as well.

Im a newb working on a new pair of NS as well. Mine are about 2 inches too long. Are you reccomending a hem prior to first wash/soak?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Im a newb working on a new pair of NS as well. Mine are about 2 inches too long. Are you reccomending a hem prior to first wash/soak?

I would personally hem. Just leave about 1" of extra length from optimum and you'll be good to go.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I can't speak of the fit on the APC, but to me buying 3 pairs of jeans you have experience with and know you'll like as opposed to 1 people on the internet think you might like seems like the more intelligent thing to do.

Thats just my two cents, also I am partial to Levis.

robbie

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I can't speak of the fit on the APC, but to me buying 3 pairs of jeans you have experience with and know you'll like as opposed to 1 people on the internet think you might like seems like the more intelligent thing to do.

Thats just my two cents, also I am partial to Levis.

robbie

I don't understand the concept of buying three ****** products rather than one good one, sorry.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the concept of buying three ****** products rather than one good one, sorry.

That and the pics I have seen of "experimental" cheap raw denim, be it 501STF, Wrangler, Rustler etc... don't look all that great, especially after a wash or two.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't own APC's and don't live in a market where I can experience them so I cannot speak of their quality. They might be of a higher quality than Levis, But Levis are by no means "******". I also find it rather interesting you are suggesting something you have for sale... "Buy my stuff! APC, Acne, Burberry!" If your APC's are so great, why are you selling them?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this is what I decided.

I ordered 2 501s STF just for the fun of it. 32x34 and 33x34, I'll do the warm wash and dry them on, to se how it works out. they are $34 at JC Penney's so they won't broke me.

If the outcome is bad, then I would go for an APC

but first I want to experiment on those Levi's

Levi's 501s are not perceived as bad quality here... the 501 STF sells for CHF 159 and the APC for CHF 179, so they are on the same league in this market ( 1 USD = 1.20 CHF )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads