• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing on Levi's 501 shrink to fit

kbuzz

Reaction score
Im a newb. Levis only for 25 odd years. im working on a pair of APC NS right now. Id love to see measurements but the are definatley slimmer then 501s. While they may be 501 inspired-they are not IMHO close to STF 501s but much slimmer. This is not a knock. They are very very nice denim and look good

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I don't own APC's and don't live in a market where I can experience them so I cannot speak of their quality. They might be of a higher quality than Levis, But Levis are by no means "******".

I also find it rather interesting you are suggesting something you have for sale...

"Buy my stuff! APC, Acne, Burberry!"

If your APC's are so great, why are you selling them?

I have about 45 pairs of raw denim in my rotation, including two pairs of APC NS and two pairs of Rescues. I'm hardly hurting for APCs in my rotation and I think they are a great starter jean. I'm not really looking to move the Hipsters, but I'm not sure how much wear they're going to get from me because of the low rise.

The current group of Levis jeans can only be characterized as ******, compared to either the other jeans we're discussing, or their own quality twenty years ago. They are made of low quality material, aren't particularly color fast, and wear much faster than a tightly woven jean like APCs, or even Levi's own LVC. Levi's deadstock jeans and their repros, such as Sugar Cane, are some of the best denim on the market so it's unfortunate that Levi's quality has dropped so far.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Im a newb. Levis only for 25 odd years. im working on a pair of APC NS right now. Id love to see measurements but the are definatley slimmer then 501s. While they may be 501 inspired-they are not IMHO close to STF 501s but much slimmer. This is not a knock. They are very very nice denim and look good

If you compare a pair of 501s and a pair of APC New Standards in the same tagged size, the APCs will be bigger and less slim than the 501s.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
But Levis are by no means "******".

Yes they are.

I also find it rather interesting you are suggesting something you have for sale...

"Buy my stuff! APC, Acne, Burberry!"

If your APC's are so great, why are you selling them?
Those are not his only APCs.

Levi's 501s are not perceived as bad quality here... the 501 STF sells for CHF 159 and the APC for CHF 179, so they are on the same league in this market ( 1 USD = 1.20 CHF )
You're talking about these no?
http://www.cultizm.com/shop/product_...501xx-LVC.html
'cause those are pretty nice. Regular 501 STFs are by no means worth $140.

Originally Posted by lakewolf
Well this is what I decided.

I ordered 2 501s STF just for the fun of it. 32x34 and 33x34, I'll do the warm wash and dry them on, to se how it works out. they are $34 at JC Penney's so they won't broke me.

If the outcome is bad, then I would go for an APC

but first I want to experiment on those Levi's

Now that you have two...

Coffee dye a pair!

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Yes they are.

Now that you have two...

Coffee dye a pair!

Seems like a good idea !
laugh.gif

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I heard they make the jeans look darker. So far I really like the fades on pairs with brown wefts.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I received the 501 STF for my experiments

At last minute I ordered them in 33x34 as I told you I am a little fat now so I wished they to end like a 32x32.

The jeans arrived and I measured the first it was 34 1/2 x 34 they were big and all baggy everywere, seat, thights, legs.

So I soaked it on warm water from the tap and added around 1 lt of boiling water , left it inmersed... after 1 hour I added another lt. of boiling water...

I waited still another hour, then I take them out and put them in the dryer for 20 minutes.

Now it is exactly 31 3/4" x 32... and the fit is almost perfect it really shrunk everywhere, the seat and the thighs, legs fit great... If it stays like this it would be great, just 1/2" less inseam would be ideal though...

it lost quite a bit of blue but they are still dark and left my fingers blue after the manipulation, so I am a bit worried about blueing everything ...

However I'd not advice to use the dryer as it left some marks at the legs where the cloth was folded... not so visible but I can see them.

Anyhow I put them on and the fit was great, but now is the evening so I don't feel like waiting with them on until they dry as is it a bit cold now. But the next pair would be definetly done like that, on a hot day I'd put them on and go outside to let them dry on me.

I hope it stays like this but I know it'd stretch back on the waist... we will see..

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I received the 501 STF for my experiments

At last minute I ordered them in 33x34 as I told you I am a little fat now so I wished they to end like a 32x32.

The jeans arrived and I measured the first it was 34 1/2 x 34 they were big and all baggy everywere, seat, thights, legs.

So I soaked it on warm water from the tap and added around 1 lt of boiling water , left it inmersed... after 1 hour I added another lt. of boiling water...

I waited still another hour, then I take them out and put them in the dryer for 20 minutes.

Now it is exactly 31 3/4" x 32... and the fit is almost perfect it really shrunk everywhere, the seat and the thighs, legs fit great... If it stays like this it would be great, just 1/2" less inseam would be ideal though...

it lost quite a bit of blue but they are still dark and left my fingers blue after the manipulation, so I am a bit worried about blueing everything ...

However I'd not advice to use the dryer as it left some marks at the legs where the cloth was folded... not so visible but I can see them.

Anyhow I put them on and the fit was great, but now is the evening so I don't feel like waiting with them on until they dry as is it a bit cold now. But the next pair would be definetly done like that, on a hot day I'd put them on and go outside to let them dry on me.

I hope it stays like this but I know it'd stretch back on the waist... we will see..

You could always soak and dry them again.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came back from the party and found them dry.... the inseam is now 31 1/2" that is my perfect lenght the same at all my trousers are hemmed... the waist is stil 31 3/4"... It is rigid again.

I am very happy with the results...

Please can somebody tell me about the starching ? what is that for ? to favor the honeycombs and whiskers ?

I have a pair of 501s that I bought last year, the "rinsed" wash... it is still dark blue and has developed nicely whiskers and other character coloring in the waist and pockets... I haven't used it much but I have maybe washed it every 2 months or so... This is what I am looking for, something subtle.

What would be the difference with APC?. I understand the APC retains the dark color longer and develop more pronounced whiskers and honeycombs and that is more durable... well I still have a pair of 501s that is 10 years old... so I think they will last very long anyway.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
starching can put holes in your jeans.

if you want honeycombs and whiskers do them the good ol' fashioned way, they'll look better imo. Starched combs look too pronounced and synthetic imo.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Please can somebody tell me about the starching ? what is that for ? to favor the honeycombs and whiskers ?

It's like dope. Don't do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads