• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing on Levi's 501 shrink to fit

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I decided to order some 501's STF.

I normally wore a 31x32 in standard Levi's, but as I gained some weight that I expect to lose soon ( some 6 lb), those are now tight on me, I should be wearing a 32x32.

I went to a shop here and tried on a 33x32 but this is too loose, off course you can't compare a new jeans or just when they are out the dryer and how they fit after they have expanded in your body.

my real measurements now are

34" at the belly button ( in my normal state it should be a little less than 33")
36" at the hip bone level

inseam in all my dress pants is 31"

In your experience, which size I should order :

a. 32x32
b. 32x34
c. 33x34

or other ?

p.trick

Reaction score
For your preshrunk dimensions (31x32), the 501 STF are expected to shrink 1" in the waist and 3" in length. The ideal size for you would be 32x36. I have not ventured to try a pair of 501 STF myself because my local stores don't carry anything above 34" in length. According to Levi's size scales, however, 501 STF in a 32" waist is produced in all lengths up to 38" but I haven't taken the time to see if these obtuse sizes (by Levi's standards) are available online.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can also preserve some of the inseam length by stretching the jeans out while wet. I'd probably get the 32x34 and shrink it, and stretch out the inseam.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking on that 32x34 or 33x34

What do you think it would be better ? I like my jeans to fit well, not baggy but my current 31 are a bit tight when just washed.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I was also thinking on that 32x34 or 33x34

What do you think it would be better ? I like my jeans to fit well, not baggy but my current 31 are a bit tight when just washed.

I'd go 32 personally.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lakewolf: if the 501STFs go for $100+ over there as you said in another thread, they're not at all worth it IMO. The same classic fit w/ much, much better denim can be had with Japanese retros...

Pantalaimon

Reaction score
I have a pair of 501STF, and the inseam shrunk three inches after a cold soak.

I'd say go with the 32x36.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
lakewolf: if the 501STFs go for $100+ over there as you said in another thread, they're not at all worth it IMO. The same classic fit w/ much, much better denim can be had with Japanese retros...

I can order them from JCPenney for $34 each, if I order 2 plus $33 shipping that makes $101, so I have 2 for the price of 1...

where can I order these Japanese retros ?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Aren't the Levi's in Europe much better quality than US? For instance, the 511's at Oi Polloi (seen here) is worth about double the price of a us 511 and looks twice as good IMO.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or you could just buy a pair of APC NS for $100 and have a better pair of jeans. The Levis 501 STF denim is nothing to write home about.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Aren't the Levi's in Europe much better quality than US?

For instance, the 511's at Oi Polloi (seen here) is worth about double the price of a us 511 and looks twice as good IMO.

Yes that is true, Levi's here are made of better denim, softer and thinner and with many different washes. But I think if I buy raw denim it'd be anyway stiff and will become soft and washed over the time. Also I want to experiment with this siff denim that I have never had and I am thinking now in getting 3 for example to experiment.

• 1 pair in 32x32 that will never be water-washed
  • 1 pair in 32x34 and do the "shrink on the body" process, so if it reduces 1" at the waist and 3" at the lenght I'd end with a pair 31x31 that would be perfec fit
  • 1 pair in 33x34 because I am afraid the 32x34 could shrink to much at the waist and be uncomfortable at the end so this pair is for the case of.. also as i have this ( I hope ) temporary 6lb overweight It'd be good for the present and then stay as a more baggy jeans at the end.

So the 3 would cost me like 1 here and I can then experiment with.

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Or you could just buy a pair of APC NS for $100 and have a better pair of jeans. The Levis 501 STF denim is nothing to write home about.

APC jeans here are sold for $160 I saw them in the New Standards in 32 that fits me right.

But I wasn't really impressed by them. sure is a nice pair but I didn't see really why it is better than a 501 STF. please could you tell me what is the difference ?

Thanks

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont really see the point of getting 3 pairs o so-so quality denim. get a 33x36 and youll be certain they fit.
Or perhaps get some LVCs instead, with better denim and details.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on those experiments. Those things are seriously made of crap, not to mention they shrank in the inseem so much that I can't wear them without looking highwater.

For most people, APCs fit much nicer than 501s. Asides from that there's the fabrics quality and aging. Look around at the Post pics of your denim thread and you'll no doubt find a lot of aged APCs. *Take a look at the official apc thread for sizing if your interested*

~

Personally I think the best option would be to lose all your weight then buy a pair of APCs seeing as to how they're the beginners jeans.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
I dont really see the point of getting 3 pairs o so-so quality denim. get a 33x36 and youll be certain they fit.
Or perhaps get some LVCs instead, with better denim and details.

Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Don't waste your money on those experiments. Those things are seriously made of crap, not to mention they shrank in the inseem so much that I can't wear them without looking highwater.

For most people, APCs fit much nicer than 501s. Asides from that there's the fabrics quality and aging. Look around at the Post pics of your denim thread and you'll no doubt find a lot of aged APCs. *Take a look at the official apc thread for sizing if your interested*

Personally I think the best option would be to lose all your weight then buy a pair of APCs seeing as to how they're the beginners jeans.

+1 on all of the above. If you get APCs, (potentially) gaining weight is not an issue, as they stretch a ton. Or you can also get Nudies (the equivalent cut is Average Joes, I think). I remember you mention somewhere that you know a thing or two about sewing & altering, so removing the garish back pocket stitching should be doable.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
+1 on all of the above. If you get APCs, (potentially) gaining weight is not an issue, as they stretch a ton. Or you can also get Nudies (the equivalent cut is Average Joes, I think). I remember you mention somewhere that you know a thing or two about sewing & altering, so removing the garish back pocket stitching should be doable.

Yes I think I'll get the APCs, I tried on a 32x34 that fit me very well only that it was longer than I like to wear my jeans. As I dislike too much break on trousers I also dislike the jeans stacking.

Do you think if I get those APCs the inseam after the wash will be less than 31" ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads