• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wedding outfit (my wedding)

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
I found StyleForum for the same reason: the search for advice on proper wedding attire. In that search, I stumbled on this... Our Dear Manton's Wedding Attire
That's excellent. Against my own better judgment I posted a link to it on a wedding forum that I participated in last year before my own wedding but ended up leaving in frustration. I don't think it will help them but at least i tried! steppingup, just to show you that you are on the right track (and to show why I left!) here's a few pictures I grabbed from there today:
6blitcy.jpg
4mukyea.jpg
4pewobn.jpg
4kpa5qg.jpg
To their credit, most of the grooms there aren't quite so... interesting, just lots of black rental tuxes. Last year it was pink and purple on black everywhere. (Edit: Yes, I know that's manton's pen name. That's ok.)

steppingup

Reaction score
OTC?

Navy blue because it is closest to what I wear most often ... very dark blue jeans! Black seemed positively funereal and I already have a £99 machine-washable (breathe deeply, the pain will pass) grey one.

It doesn't help that I've been the youngest man at work for ages and rarely see smartly turned out men in their 40s to 'dress up' to: most of them are in their 50s and wear dreadful clothes.

I'm buying a brown belt tomorrow, wearing the shoes to the shop that I want to match. These are increasingly small-fry questions, but silver buckle (not literally), not brass? I think the yellowness of my current one is what doesn't work. I'll get black shoes and matching belt closer to the time: I think they will be quite plain and so relatively easy to choose. The tie will be more fun.

I may yet end up with an eye for some of this!

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I do wish Sam Hober would offer some black/silver toned Macclesfields. Hello, David - are you out there?
Sator, Thank you for the suggestion. I will think about adding some more silver ties down the road.

usctrojan55

Reaction score
i second the sam hober recommendation.

david is very helpful for these kinds of things. i wore a red grenadine for my wedding (my wife's choice) and it looked great. it photographs very well, and it holds a nice knot that doesnt slip. this is important because you dont want the top of your not to be too low and show a gap in your pictures.

good luck!

steppingup

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone; I've appreciated the kind guidance.

If I've got it to work, there should be a pic here somewhere of the Sam Hober tie which is just the one I had in my mind's eye when I first posted. This is "warm silver" (silver and brown).

I bought one yesterday when choosing a regular work shirt, because it was in a sale and I wanted to feel like I had it. That's going back to the shop, then.

Grimslade: http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/teacha.gif I thought this was a student who had hung himself. It's clearly that time of the year again... They think they're the only ones with sleepless nights, but we get caught up in their exam nerves too!
confused.gif

steppingup

Reaction score
Bump, bump... 1. Well, it's hard to take your own photo well. 2. I have the arms of a chimpanzee. I sort of knew this. This isn't the right shirt, by the way, which is being made for me (so will have sleeves of the proper length). 3. The tie is a little darker than it appears here and is beautiful. Say nothing critical about the tie right now, please, because I need something to look good and clearly... 3. The suit which I thought looked great when I tried it on in the shop and was told was a lovely fit very clearly doesn't and isn't! This is a big disappointment. The colour (it's a little darker than this) and fabric are great, but what's going on with the pull beneath the buttons? Is this fixable, perhaps, and--anyone in London--by whom and how much, roughly?

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steppingup
2. I have the arms of a chimpanzee. I sort of knew this. This isn't the right shirt, by the way, which is being made for me (so will have sleeves of the proper length).
3. The suit which I thought looked great when I tried it on in the shop and was told was a lovely fit very clearly doesn't and isn't! This is a big disappointment. The colour (it's a little darker than this) and fabric are great, but what's going on with the pull beneath the buttons? Is this fixable, perhaps, and--anyone in London--by whom and how much, roughly?

2. if u shorten the sleeves to show shirt cuff, ur arms won't look as long

3. the pull underneath the buttons: try pulling downward on the front of the jacket. it may be ur shoulders r too big, pulling the front of the jacket up...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get swatches from Sam Hober on the different grenadines. They're all really good, but they don't photograph so well. You'll get the color more right if you have a sample in front of you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is a grenadine with a morning coat an atrocity?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Is a grenadine with a morning coat an atrocity?

No, but I wouldn't do it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No, but I wouldn't do it.

Because a grenadine is too casual? You would stick to macclesfield-type patterns?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not so much because too casual, just out of place. I like the way a busy Maccelsfield pairs with a solid color morning coat. It's "festive" in the non-gay sense.

However, I would wear a black grenadine with a morning coat to a funeral, if it were 1936, and I were a member of the British parliament.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
However, I would wear a black grenadine with a morning coat to a funeral, if it were 1936, and I were a member of the British parliament.

Quoted for future reference.

If you're wearing a grey vest, should the tie's field be the same color?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Quoted for future reference.

If you're wearing a grey vest, should the tie's field be the same color?

Doesn't have to be. I've seen it done well any number of ways. Black/grey/silver/white is the classic colorway. But not the only.

I think too that it matters if you are a guest or a in the wedding party. Personally, I always wear a wedding tie to weddings, but I think people in the wedding party really should, whereas for guests, it's optional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads