• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of shirt with tuxedo?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can't recall ever seeing shawl + vest. I think it would not work. To me, a shawl takes a cummerbund.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I can't recall ever seeing shawl + vest.

Voila!

dinnerclothesjuly1902kh8.jpg

This may predate the cummerbund, however, as it is dated July 1902.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with a wing collar, with a white vest and black bowtie. Now, does one get a pleated shirt or a plain shirt?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Wing collar shirt should have a bib -- no pleats -- either a stiff bib or pique.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Hmm, I kind of like that white vest look. See, that's why I come here to seek counsel on these things.

Does anybody else make a good vest other than Brooks (don't see it on their website) - or is it the kind of thing I should get made bespoke?

I just bought the Brooks version recently. It is not offered on their website. If you go into (or call) a BB store they can order it for you from other stores that have it in stock. It comes in S/M/L/XL sizing, is backless and has a button collar and a D-ring strap in back to adjust the size. I got the white one which is of a very nice white pique fabric. It has 3 covered buttons which you can replace with studs if you wish (I found a vintage set of matching shirt & vest studs on Ebay very cheap).

If you call a nearby BB store ask for their special orders desk and tell them what you want. I believe that the item number is 999I and style #07757 (for the white one) in their book. They can look on their system and locate one for you and have it shipped directly to your house ($9 shipping for mine). The cost was $175 which is very similar to the 90 quid that Buckleighs has theirs for.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with a wing collar, with a white vest and black bowtie. Now, does one get a pleated shirt or a plain shirt?

If you really want to go "whole hog" as my hillbilly cousins would say, you could go with this shirt, which was offered recently at 25% off:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=White

Bib front, detachable collar and single french cuffs (very formal).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why do you think so?
I wear neither vest nor cummerbund, and I don't wear braces either.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Even for your own wedding?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even for your own wedding?
That was a long time ago. I wore a cummerbund and braces, but now forego both.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

You're going to hell.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're going to hell.

+1 and these are the least of the reasons.
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're going to hell.
Originally Posted by aportnoy
+1 and these are the least of the reasons.
devil.gif

I have known this for awhile now, and I used to be worried. Then a Christian friend of mine told me that Hell was just eternity without which does not seem all that different than the way I have been living. Anyway, my tuxedo is double breasted and my pants fit so there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads