• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of shirt with tuxedo?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread made me look at my wedding pics. I was under the illusion that over the last eight years I had not aged at all. This has now been shattered.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This thread made me look at my wedding pics. I was under the illusion that over the last eight years I had not aged at all. This has now been shattered.

Try looking 17 years after the fact.
censored.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I should add that I am also planning on wearing a flower in my lapel, so I guess that takes away a bit from the whole waiter thing. Does one wear both a flower and a pocket square?

struan87

Reaction score
Good question, I need to know the same thing.
What's the best way to affix a flower to your lapel? Would a pin damage the fabric?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have no problem wearing a flower and a square. I leave such prohibitions to the rule mongers.
sarcasm.gif

You should put the stem through the lapel buttonhole. Ideally there will be a small loop of thread on the underside of the lapel to hold the stem. Pinning won't harm the cloth, but it's gauche.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
IAnyway, my tuxedo is double breasted

Well, hell, why didn't you say so? You're not supposed to wear a cummer with DB. Purgatory for you after all.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Oh yeah, I should add that I am also planning on wearing a flower in my lapel, so I guess that takes away a bit from the whole waiter thing. Does one wear both a flower and a pocket square?

I asked the same question today on the What Are You Wearing Now thread. We have not gotten an offical answer.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I asked the same question today on the What Are You Wearing Now thread. We have not gotten an offical answer.

I'm going to go for it. Even if it's against the rules, nobody at my wedding will know.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to go for it. Even if it's against the rules, nobody at my wedding will know.

I think it's a style thing. If you go to Google and do an image search for pictures of Fred Astaire you'd be hard pressed to find a photo of him in either white tie or black tie where he wasn't wearing both a boutonniere and a pocket square. I also found several of him with this combo and a formal morning coat and a regular lounge suit. Seems like it was a "thing" with him.

If you like the look, then I'd say go for it.

If someone questions it show them this picture. If it doesn't answer the question for them then they don't know what they're talking about anyway.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To be clear, in all seriousness, all kidding aside (Britain is an island, completely surrounded by water), I have read the alleged "rule" that one never wears a flower and a pocket square only on the Internet. I have never come across it in any other source, either original or derivative. I don't believe it exists or has ever existed anywhere. Yet I have seen hundreds of photos and illustrations of men wearing both.

So wear the flower and the square and don't worry about it.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
To be clear, in all seriousness, all kidding aside (Britain is an island, completely surrounded by water), I have read the alleged "rule" that one never wears a flower and a pocket square only on the Internet. I have never come across it in any other source, either original or derivative. I don't believe it exists or has ever existed anywhere. Yet I have seen hundreds of photos and illustrations of men wearing both.

Manton says it is so, so I now call that OFFICIAL!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plus, with my people, the tradition is that you get the flower put on your coat by the mother of the groom (in this case, my mother) at the grooms house, so technically, before that point in the proceedings you are flowerless. If you didn't have a pocket square, you would be flowerless and squareless, and that's just unacceptable under the circumstances.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should put the stem through the lapel buttonhole. Ideally there will be a small loop of thread on the underside of the lapel to hold the stem. Pinning won't harm the cloth, but it's gauche.

I just checked my tux and the lapel does in fact have both a buttonhole and the little loop of thread on the underside of the lapel to hold the stem. Sweet.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Being from Jersey and all, will you be marrying a guida?

waitingoutsideofslate2.jpg

HU2-GUIDOS.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads