• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meeting g/f's dad for the first time, what to wear?

Reaction score
I've never met her dad before. He lives in California, and is in Chicago tomorrow for something. My g/f and I have been together for two years. He's taking us out for breakfast and to meet me for the first time. Initially, he didn't like me at all (without meeting me), though I was told this wore off.

She says a suit is not necessary. What should I wear?

gracian

Reaction score
Any idea what kind of guy he is?

White collar type? lawyer, banker etc prob some solid color buttondown shirt.

Or is he a anti-establishment type? in which case he might distrust people who dress up at all.

I don't know if he didn't like you from the start, it prob doesn't matter what you wear.

capnpyro

Reaction score
^^^ That and the enviroment is imporant, you're going to be dressing differently if it's an Ihop or a country club.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's a blue collar kind of guy. I was thinking nice leather shoes, black pants, solid color (white?) shirt.....

ON EDIT: It's a restaurant in between IHOP and the country club. There's not a dress code, and families show up a lot...

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude you are screwed. What u wear prolly won't matter. Whatever it is will be wrong.

I wouldn't wear a suit. it looks like u are trying to hard (unless u wear one to work normally).

Chinos and a nice shirt?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
dude you are screwed. What u wear prolly won't matter. Whatever it is will be wrong.

frown.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
be yourself?

I didn't ask how to act, I asked what to wear. I'm pretty sure I am going to be myself...

Is black pants and a white shirt too contrasting? Should I go for blue instead?

capnpyro

Reaction score
If it were me, actually I've been in this situation, and my girlfriends dad is a regular blue collar kind of guy, I'd go with jeans and a nice button up with the sleeves rolled up and tennis shoes. I'd rather be able to easily associate with him than impress him with my smart loafers and matching pants and socks. It's true it's always better to over dress, but in this case I'd rather under dress, if he's a blue collar guy he'll be thinking 'douchebag' in his head over and over if you're dressed like you're going to a job interview. My recommendation obviously changes if you're in your 30's or 40's (I'm 26).

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
If it were me, actually I've been in this situation, and my girlfriends dad is a regular blue collar kind of guy, I'd go with jeans and a nice button up with the sleeves rolled up and tennis shoes. I'd rather be able to easily associate with him than impress him with my smart loafers and matching pants and socks. It's true it's always better to over dress, but in this case I'd rather under dress, if he's a blue collar guy he'll be thinking 'douchebag' in his head over and over if you're dressed like you're going to a job interview. My recommendation obviously changes if you're in your 30's or 40's (I'm 26).
I just asked my g/f what he wore tonight (eating at a bar) and the answer was "jeans, an old button down, and cowboy boots" EDIT: I am 20. EDIT again: But this offers two schools of thought: 1) I may be slightly overdressed, but it will come across as respectful for meeting my g/f's father. 2) As a blue collar guy, he will see me dressed nicely and think I'm a douchebag, as capn suggested.

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
wear jeans and a buttondown.

don't overthink this. and don't play dumb games guessing how "blue collar guy" or whatever stereotype will interpret your dress.

your manner will be much more important.

remember too that he does not give a damn how you treat him. whether or not he likes or hates you--that's not an issue for dad. he really does not care about you. hate you or like you, it does not make a difference to him. he wants to see how you treat his daughter. that would be my expectation. if you want to win him over, be good to his daughter. do not interrupt her, look at her a lot, listen to her, smile at the father like pure worship of this beautiful young lady is all you have, will ever have, and will ever need to have in common. it's not about you. it's not about him. it's about the daughter.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avatar
I just asked my g/f what he wore tonight (eating at a bar) and the answer was "jeans, an old button down, and cowboy boots" EDIT: I am 20. EDIT again: But this offers two schools of thought: 1) I may be slightly overdressed, but it will come across as respectful for meeting my g/f's father. 2) As a blue collar guy, he will see me dressed nicely and think I'm a douchebag, as capn suggested.
I vote for dressing like him. In my experience, fathers like to relate to their daughter's suitors. Emphasize what you have in common, not your differences, whether they be socioeconomic or sartorial. This is all assuming that he has no problems with how you treat his daughter, a separate issue entirely.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Isaac Mickle
wear jeans and a buttondown.

don't overthink this. and don't play dumb games guessing how "blue collar guy" or whatever stereotype will interpret your dress.

your manner will be much more important.

remember too that he does not give a damn how you treat him. whether or not he likes or hates you--that's not an issue for dad. he really does not care about you. hate you or like you, it does not make a difference to him. he wants to see how you treat his daughter. that would be my expectation. if you want to win him over, be good to his daughter. do not interrupt her, look at her a lot, listen to her, smile at the father like pure worship of this beautiful young lady is all you have, will ever have, and will ever need to have in common. it's not about you. it's not about him. it's about the daughter.

+1

Be nice to the waitresses too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads