• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who likes their Loake shoes?

gj555

Reaction score
I am always reading people putting down loake shoes. From crappy corrected grain in their standard lines to hard soles and cheap leather in their 1880s line - Loake has certainly been ragged on here. So, I was hesitant when i decided to make a purchase. I ordered the Savoy from the 1880 line in Chestnut and could not be more thrilled. These shoes were comfortable from day one (it usually takes me weeks to break in AEs), look great, and have a nice colour. The construction seems fine and the shape is very elegant. I could not be more happy with the purchase.

Anyone else like their Loake shoes (I am sure I am not the only one)? Anyone else willing to post their cheap Loake Appreciation?

DSCF0994.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit, I do like my Loakes over the Aes, save my moras. Loakes just fit me better than AE. I have a pair of anckle boots that i have to find a replacement for as I have nearly killed them... i wear them way too much.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who give Loakes a bad rap, I guess. I have a pair, and I like them for what they are. But I hesitate when I see them recommended for folks who are looking for a first pair of good shoes. I think they're better as a bargain shoe for the experienced shoe buyer.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look good !

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to understand what's wrong with them. Mine have lasted years. From captoes to semi-brogues to elegant loafers and chelseas they are more than adequate and a lot more tasteful than much of the vile, look-at-me stuff posted here, or flat-out ugly shoes boastfully shown simply because they are bespoke.

Rocker

Reaction score
The only dress shoe Loakes I have were obtained through CT - They are the Norwich 1880 model.

Personally, I found the leather to be noticeably inferior to my AEs or Aldens - it's stiffer, grainier, and simply not as supple - it has a kind of dry, cardboard feel. I think Loakes also run wide (which means I have to wear a full size down from the UK size) and, to my eye, they look it. When I wear the shoe, looking down at my feet, the shoes appear wide and ungainly - this is exacerbated by the fact that, though AE has a 360 degree welt, they seem to trim their sole and welt closer to the shoe than does Loake.

Perhaps it's because these were made differently for CT - I don't know. I have a pair of suede Loake Chukkas which I like fine, but the Norwich are in a box waiting for a charity clothes pick up. I've worn them maybe 7 times and just can't be bothered to wear them again - they're not uncomfortable - I just vastly prefer the look, feel, and quality of my AE Park Avenues or Byrons.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought two pairs of Loake from CT and loathe them more than anything in the world. I need to come up with a Vaclarillo type of torture for them

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friism

Reaction score
I have a pair of Loake Arundel in black that I'm fairly pleased with. I do remember finding the front to be a tad square (this was not evident from the Pediwear picture).

The ones pictured at the top of this thread seem to have been made on a considerably more attractive last. Is there any way to tell which Loakes are made on this type of last?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have CT loakes which are fine, but hell I only paid $75 for them, new with bags and box. I think they are considerably and obviously better assembled than AEs, but mine are corrected grain which is sheer horror.

juniper

Reaction score
My favourite shoes are my Loake 1880 Kemptons (Chukka boot). I also have the Norwich 1880 in black calf, which I like.

The normal line isn't durable enough, I find. The new "Mayfair last" 1880 line (like the pictures posted by the OP) look a step up from what was previously available in style.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by friism
I have a pair of Loake Arundel in black that I'm fairly pleased with. I do remember finding the front to be a tad square (this was not evident from the Pediwear picture).

The ones pictured at the top of this thread seem to have been made on a considerably more attractive last. Is there any way to tell which Loakes are made on this type of last?

As Juniper mentioned, shoes on the new Mayfair last look great. Click here for a list of shoes on the Mayfair last

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to get off topic but thats how I feela bout Bruno. I love them but they get a bad rap here. Guess its different strokes, for different folks

soulstylist

Reaction score
...got two pairs - the Kempton is a great chukka - would probably buy it again. The other is a heavy country brogue - the Chester - which is not really elegant but also shouldn't be for what it is. Ok, I own nicer and better fitting shoes...

...but if I'd have to choose between AE and Loake - Loake every time! And that is also what I would recomend to every first-good-shoe-buyer. That is if they fit of course...

...both represent the low end of high end, only that AEs are totaly overpriced in Germany which makes them a really bad buy at retail over here...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've owned a few pairs of Loakes in the past and will not own any in the future. I just think the leather feels cheap and the shoe feels like it's going to fall apart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads