1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Who likes their Loake shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gj555, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

i have seen Loakes as well and they are decent for the money you pay for them, especially at the discount prices , you cant lose...

but it's a seriously hard choice when seeing other bargains out there: i mean, why get a loake when you can get a one pair of vass for the price of ten pairs of Loakes?

Personally, I like having more than two pairs of shoes...

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

heheheehe...me too.

i was just trying to be funny (sarcastic).

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Army issue shoes, officer's, service uniform, cap-toes. Fifteen years old, almost to the day. They've darkened a bit over the years. I still wear them occasionally, to instil trust in older women. They're good with a countrified tweed or corduroy suit. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Army issue shoes, officer's, service uniform, cap-toes. Fifteen years old, almost to the day. They've darkened a bit over the years.

Those look great, LS. Even the best artificial patination can't touch the real thing.

5. Anthony Jordan

6. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

how do loakes fit, esp it's mayfair last? I heard they run big, can anybody confirm or reject my suspicions?

7. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I have one pair, the Twinings semi-brogue under the CT label. They are the best $150 shoes I've ever bought. At $300 there are better options.

8. wq1999

wq1999 Senior member

I have a Loake double-soled chukka. I'm wearing them today for the third time. So far I'm not impressed at all. They're stiff and when I stand i find my weight being pushed forward to the ball of my foot, rather than being distributed evenly. Poorly padded lining, generally not comfortable. Hoping they get better with a few more wearings. If they don't, they'll make it to my charity bin.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have 3 pairs of Loake 1880s - Wells in black, Durham in tan, Exeter in dark brown. I find them very reliable and quite comfortable shoes. Unspectacular, but worthy and I think they look a bit better than their (discounted) price suggests. I tend to use them relatively sparingly - more often in wet weather, for sure.

10. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior member

I have one pair, what look like the Durhams (brown suede semi-brogue). Purchased from CT for $137.

I have one pair, the Twinings semi-brogue under the CT label. They are the best $150 shoes I've ever bought. At $300 there are better options.

Regarding price, those are my sentiments too. Loakes are a good sub-$150 value, at lease for a suede semi-brogue.

Regarding sizing, mine are wide. That is good for me. My feet are wide and my instep is high. I usually wear a 9.5EEE in AEs and I cannot cinch-up the laces all the way on any of them. My 9.5G Loakes fit me well and I can cinch the laces closer together than on my AEs. It's kin of nice to find a modesty priced shoe for a man with a wide foot. [​IMG]

I'd buy more at that price, though I have concerns with other models basd on criticism aout the quality and suppleness of the leather. I guess at least with a pair purchased from CT, I can return it for free and get a refund by the time the Cubs win the World Series. [​IMG]

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Another pair of Loake Twynings: [​IMG]

12. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

Those look great, LS. Even the best artificial patination can't touch the real thing.

+1 How old is that pair of shoes?

13. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

+1 How old is that pair of shoes?

Army issue shoes, officer's, service uniform, cap-toes. Fifteen years old, almost to the day. They've darkened a bit over the years.

I still wear them occasionally, to instil trust in older women. They're good with a countrified tweed or corduroy suit.

14. gj555

gj555 Senior member

how do loakes fit, esp it's mayfair last? I heard they run big, can anybody confirm or reject my suspicions?

I have shoes on the Mayfair last and the Legend last. Both fit almost the same in terms of size. But, the pair I have on the mayfair last has a great shape. I wear 7.5D US in most shoes (provided they are not a narrow cut). For Loakes I wear 6.5UK and they fit great,

15. Anthony Jordan

I thought I'd share my latest purchase; I've never heard of this particular line - Benchgrade - from Loake - has anyone else? I like them in any case; a nice shape to the toe, combination heel, and - unusually - fully leather lined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]