• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Apartment

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mcintosh makes high end audio components.

I had the pleasure of listening to a pretty sweet set up at an associate's house in his in-home theater. The sound was absolutely amazing. I didn't ask, but I'm sure his receiver + related components, HD-CD, and all his speakers were easily 200K.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
mcintosh makes high end audio components.

I had the pleasure of listening to a pretty sweet set up at an associate's house in his in-home theater. The sound was absolutely amazing. I didn't ask, but I'm sure his receiver + related components, HD-CD, and all his speakers were easily 200K.

Oh, I was referring to the B&O system.

I know McIntosh; some of their vintage items are really great.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why B&O? The only reason I would buy it is for aesthetics, because the sound is not great. If you want looks and quality in a smaller package, go and look at Bower and Wilkin's 805s or Focal JM labs Micro utopia Be, and pair it with Teac's esoterics.

Also, have you looked at some of Materialise/MGX lighting fixtures and bowls? We have the curved black honeycomb bowl and the 'flame' hanging lamp.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
you're a bit of a brand whore I see.

I like nice things and have the luxury to afford them.

As to the others, I don't need a whole home system as all I need is something simple and sweet to play music if I have a few friends over. Between Comedy Central, the Bravo shows (Top Chef, Project Runway etc) and whatever fringe of society documentary (Word Wars, The Yes Men, Trekkies, Spellbound, Jesus Camp, etc) I am watch I don't really need surround sound as though I were watching Terminator, 300, Patriot Games, X-Men or Die Hard.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

As to the others, I don't need a whole home system as all I need is something simple and sweet to play music if I have a few friends over. Between Comedy Central, the Bravo shows (Top Chef, Project Runway etc) and whatever fringe of society documentary (Word Wars, The Yes Men, Trekkies, Spellbound, Jesus Camp, etc) I am watch I don't really need surround sound as though I were watching Terminator, 300, Patriot Games, X-Men or Die Hard.

Actually, McIntosh made their name long before surround sound. Sound quality aside, I personally think they're some of the most beautiful components money can buy. If you're not in to music, it's not really worth spending 15-20k on though (200k is an obscene example involving mono-blocks and speakers with hundreds of drivers). Then again, B&O isn't cheap, and that's what people are getting at. You can get a more audio quality for your money with another brand.

If you wanted top-of-the-line surround options and video processing with great upgradeability, I'd suggest Anthem. But for your needs that may be overkill. McIntosh has an aesthetic that some people fall instantly in love with. B&O may fit more snuggly in to your apartment, on the other hand. More than aything, be careful which speakers you buy. They make the biggest difference. I'd never buy B&O speakers, then again, if you truely don't care about sound quality than go ahead. I'm sure they'll look great.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
More than aything, be careful which speakers you buy. They make the biggest difference. I'd never buy B&O speakers, then again, if you truely don't care about sound quality than go ahead. I'm sure they'll look great.

Bingo. There are so many other components I'd rather buy for the money than B&O but it may be the best for his aesthetic.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am the same way, but I would caution you (from some experience) that the obvious things are not necessarily the best or the ones that will make you happy over time.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the rush to fully furnish it now? Most of the best decorators suggest putting **** together slowly, over time.

I concur. That's why I asked earlier if the OP was starting from scratch.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you're a bit of a brand whore I see.

I think it's cool to have a spot in NYC, especially around Lincoln Centre. I hope I can get a place near there in a few years when I move. I just think that you should be careful to not have it look like something straight out of a yuppie catalogue.

What's the rush to fully furnish it now? Most of the best decorators suggest putting **** together slowly, over time.

I think that you are right about building over time. Apartments/homes are constantly changing with you.

I am not sure that I would trust most interior desecrators unless you wanted your house to look like every other yuppie pad, but they are right on this point at least.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I don't feel "rushed"; but, I am VERY excited becuase I've wanted soooo bad to have my own place to do what I want with over the past 6 years. I was in 3 different apartments in college, another year renting in LA and then this past year in NY renting.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm also getting a "good deal" from B&O since I know a store manager.

I'm out of town this weekend and most of the stuff is being delivered/set up so hopefully on Monday when I get back I can post some initial pics.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, having a lot of money doesn't mean necessarily getting the most visible brand out there. The point is, there's a lot better, far more "luxurious" sound systems than B&O for the same money. If that's what you like, then that's fine, it just seems like you're buying all this stuff for other people and not yourself.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Actually most of the people I associate with are very down to earth and grounded and would think "That's neat" to the B&O. But, if it were Bose or something mainstream would be "Wow, that's expensive." Only 2 of my friends would know what it is.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that you are right about building over time. Apartments/homes are constantly changing with you.

I am not sure that I would trust most interior desecrators unless you wanted your house to look like every other yuppie pad, but they are right on this point at least.

O I don't believe in hiring decorators either, but I'm fairly well acquainted with lavishly appointed interiors and the people who are the best at it do it over time. And it isn't a question of money. We have had our current house for about 15 years, and we're still adding pieces every now and then.

While I'm sure most people who walk into SoCal's place will find it nice, anyone with a passing interest in architecture, design or some measure of good taste will probably guess that it was thrown together over a weekend, recalling every well known, ubiquitous brand under the sun to make it look like a cultured person lives there. I'm just saying that right now, it's die hard yuppie, and I think he's rushing into it. However, he seems happy so that's great for him.

I love the look of Barcelona chairs myself, but I've never lived in a space where they'd be appropriate. Also, they aren't terribly comfortable to sit in for long periods. Now, they remind me more and more of high powered law firm lobbies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads