• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which shoe is less ugly?

dapperdude

Reaction score
So, I don't have unlimited funds, and need a brown oxford lace-up this week. I'm probably going to order from Zappos.

Originally, I was going to get this shoe from J Crew, but it won't ship until 5/28:

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat180084

I love the shine and the dark brown color. So, which of the following are adequate substitutes?
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7323951/c/537.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/118124/c/216.html

Rockports are generally ugly, but this one doesn't seem too bad. I don't like the squared-off toe, but it's not too extreme. It doesn't have the lustre of the Bostonion or the J Crew, though. The Bostonion doesn't look as comfortable, and looks slightly more dressy.

I thought I might be able to find something from AE's in this classic style and color, but was disappointed by their selections and styles. Actually, I've had a very difficult time finding any shoes that approximate my original choice. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear.

I will be wearing them with chinos as well as wool slacks, in a business casual environment.

dapperdude

Reaction score
J Crew's brown suede bucks are in stock. I wonder if I should go for these, since it's almost summer. Can they work with business casual?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bostonian are the less ugly of the list

Silk

Reaction score
The Bostonian is the nicest and sleekest.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silk
The Bostonian is the nicest and sleekest.

Still they're not worth the price IMO. If you look around, especially on eBay, Bostonian shoes go for much, much less.

If I were the OP and need something quick, I'd follow Doc's suggestion and get the J.Crew brown suede bucks.

dapperdude

Reaction score
"Those shoes are not oxfords, they are derbys/bluchers.
The last one is IMO the least ugly."

mumbojumbo: I understand these are not in the same style as the plain-toe oxfords. For some reason, I couldn't find many plain-toe oxfords in dark brown. It's not as popular as cap toe, perhaps? My primary concern is that it's an oxford in brown.

It can take time to find something decent on EBay. I have looked, and will probably continue to look. I think I'll go with the suede bucks from J Crew, and for now, make do with what I currently have in brown (a burgundy or chili split-toe Florsheim lace-up, which doesn't look all that great with chinos, but it could be worse).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say try the bucks - at least when you do find a good quality brown dress shoe similar to the other ones, you won't be doubling up and have a totally redundant and extraneous shoe that you spent $100 on.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
It can take time to find something decent on EBay. I have looked, and will probably continue to look. I think I'll go with the suede bucks from J Crew, and for now, make do with what I currently have in brown (a burgundy or chili split-toe Florsheim lace-up, which doesn't look all that great with chinos, but it could be worse).

Good choice.
smile.gif

Also, IIRC chorse has a Grenson Masterpiece/Paul Stuart pair in your size up over in the B&S forum a few days ago. A little bit more pricey, but much better quality it seems. Might be worth it to shoot him a PM.

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat180084

I love the shine and the dark brown color.

My guess is that shine is either enhanced for display on the webpage, or it's one of those artificial coatings they put on corrected grain leather shoes.

How about these Allen Edmonds from STP?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...e-For-Men.html

If you can find a 30% coupon, they are in the same price range as the J. Crew. They would go well with chinos or dress pants.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads