• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bodyweight Excercises - Everyday?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to take a day or two off (or up to 3 or 4 depending on what I do - especially after excercising and Muay Thai in the same day). Does anyone do them daily? Do you sets of bodyweight excercises?

familyman

Reaction score
I do pullups, situps, pushups and dips basically evey day. I don't 'workout' per se, I just try to do things throughout the day when they cross my mind. I generally do a set or two of pullups in the morning, maybe some dips. In the afternoon I'm more likely to spend 3 minutes and do 25 pushups/30 situps/25 pushups sometime when I get bored. I also run twice a week about 2.5 miles at a time. I'm sure there are better ways to do things that build more muscle and strength and all that. This is something that's very easy for me. I don't break a sweat (except for the running) so I don't have to change clothes. A set of anything takes at most 30 seconds out of my day. This is something that works for me because I do it. I can't drag myself out of bed more than twice a week to exercise and I run then. I don't have time during the day to change clothes and exercise and shower and change back much less get to a gym to do that. The evenings are all family time so no dice there. It's easy enough that I've been doing it for a year. In that time I've gone from being able to do 4 pullups to 11. I used to struggle to finish 15 pushups, now I comfortably complete 25 a couple of times. My wife thinks I'm damn sexy.
smile.gif

adversity04

Reaction score
I used to do pullups, dips, pushups and abs everyday while preparing for OCS on top of swimming in the mornings and running before the above mentioned. I was doing only those things though, no additional weights since I was trying to get more functional use and those were the types of exercises I was going to be doing. At first it sucked because of fatigue, but eventually I got used to it. Pullups went from 8 to 18 in 5 months or so.

Currently, I'm doing abs/pushups/dips daily before bed. Nothing too serious because I'm lifting again.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you feel like your body is telling you to take a day or two off, than do it. It's definitely a wise choice. Do you really need 3 or 4? It just seems quite excessive.Why don't you start doing what you love most everyday like muay thai and incorportate some other exercises every other day. If muay thai is not practiced every day then try it the other way around. It might get very tiring but just make sure you rest a lot. Don't plan on getting only 4 hours of sleep at night or something like that. Over the summer i was biking around 200 miles a week(5-6 days) with 2 hours of lifting in the gym, 6 days a week, right after. It was exhausting but it is possible.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
At first it sucked because of fatigue, but eventually I got used to it..

Originally Posted by cldpsu
If you feel like your body is telling you to take a day or two off, than do it. It's definitely a wise choice. Do you really need 3 or 4? It just seems quite excessive.Why don't you start doing what you love most everyday like muay thai and incorportate some other exercises every other day. If muay thai is not practiced every day then try it the other way around. It might get very tiring but just make sure you rest a lot. Don't plan on getting only 4 hours of sleep at night or something like that. Over the summer i was biking around 200 miles a week(5-6 days) with 2 hours of lifting in the gym, 6 days a week, right after. It was exhausting but it is possible.

Fatigue what I'm worried about. I was wondering how far can you push it? With weights I could tell how much I could do because of my body aching the next day or two.

With bodyweight excercises, there is never really aching but just that feeling of being tired. I just don't want to burn out. Obviously, lifting weights for a specific body part isn't possible everyday but it seems like body weight exercises are fine everyday.

Sometimes I rest a couple of days after Muay Thai because I get pretty beat up. I've only been doing it for about 6 months (and love it) but my body is only now starting to get used to getting kicked, being up on the balls of my feet all of the time, etc.

adversity04

Reaction score
If you want to do them every day I suggest starting lightly by doing them 3days/week(mon/wed/fri for example) for a couple weeks then add in light days on tues/thurs. The light days will act as a loosener and just keep you going for the following day. Sleep enough because sleep is HUGE and take the weekends off or easy to allow your muscles to repair.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Fatigue what I'm worried about. I was wondering how far can you push it? With weights I could tell how much I could do because of my body aching the next day or two. With bodyweight excercises, there is never really aching but just that feeling of being tired. I just don't want to burn out. Obviously, lifting weights for a specific body part isn't possible everyday but it seems like body weight exercises are fine everyday. Sometimes I rest a couple of days after Muay Thai because I get pretty beat up. I've only been doing it for about 6 months (and love it) but my body is only now starting to get used to getting kicked, being up on the balls of my feet all of the time, etc.
Okay well if you are still getting used to things, do what you do and perhaps start resting only 3 days and not four. Then try 2 days and see if you really feel a lot weaker. If you do, maybe you can try incorporating an extra 2 hours into your sleep every night or jump back to 3 day rests. Just take things slow and see what happens. I'm sure you are not lacking in exercise right now by any means so increasing exercise activity will just happen as you progress.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you will grow to a set point by doing bw exercises daily. construction workers have healthy, nice-sized forearms but reach a level of hypertrophy and then stop. variation speeds growth but you can get a perfectly fine physique doing bw stuff daily.

Originally Posted by Tck13
I tend to take a day or two off (or up to 3 or 4 depending on what I do - especially after excercising and Muay Thai in the same day). Does anyone do them daily? Do you sets of bodyweight excercises?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for years I did pushups and situps every morning and evening, with no real harm or fatigue. but I did very little weightlifting at that time. I don't see a problem with it, think about guys who work with thier hands, they do more work than that, every day day in and day out.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^was my point too. but it comes to a point where you can maintain but progress is stalled.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
you will grow to a set point by doing bw exercises daily. construction workers have healthy, nice-sized forearms but reach a level of hypertrophy and then stop. variation speeds growth but you can get a perfectly fine physique doing bw stuff daily.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, but construction workers don't do much BW exercises. They just lift and carry heavy **** around all day. Their failling is, IMO, due to lack of the progression in load that comes with a good program. And nutrition.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
agreed, but the only load variable in bw exercises is reps, and more isn't always more.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
agreed, but the only load variable in bw exercises is reps, and more isn't always more.

agreed.

but have you ever boxed, spared, arm wrestled a construction worker, carpenter, etc? they aren't bulky but they can be extremly strong.

it really depends what the OP wants to achieve - basic strength and endurance or bulk. for bulk, I am not sure that bodyweight is the way to go, but for strength body weight can be done daily.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^exactly, as strenght/size often are not correlated. construction workers often have very good tendon strength which bodybuilding deosn't always provide. i know guys who can carry 2 100 lb. bags of cement but can't bench 225. also agree in that it depends what he's going for. herschel walker built a great physique with bw, however it's possible that one of his other personalities was doing traditional bodybuilding.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^
There's an outside chance that he has a few genetic gifts as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads