• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Reinforce it with denim (on the inside) and zig-zag stitch over it. Try and match the thread as closely to the denim color as you can. A medium grey might be the right color, assuming that they're worn in enough to need repairs. If the stitching is coming apart, that's easy to fix, just pull the denim to where its supposed to be and put some reinforced stitches down.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Sizing down 2 sizes is IMO, stupid...LA Guy can back me up.

Did I dream the entire APC sizing thread?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Er.. to clarify, place a piece of cloth or denim on the inside of the jeans, pin it down, then turn them back rightside out and stitch around the outside of it to keep it in place. then go over it with a zig-zag, or leave it looking like a patch. I prefer the zig zag stitch because it looks rougher.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I was considering contrasting orange/tan stitching to match, but going with a grey-blue colour would be something I likely wouldn't regret afterwards.

I was considering going to a tailor, but there's something embarassing/unethical about asking them to sew up a busted crotch on a pair of unwashed jeans.
devil.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Did I dream the entire APC sizing thread?

No. But I think we've all seen enough people's pictures of them wearing sized down APCs to know what it looks like when your jeans are too tight.

ninjapie

Reaction score
What's a good inseam lenght for stacking, for someone who's about 1.74m?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
APC New Standards are not a tight jean unless you have bulky thighs and glutes. If you want a tight jean, get Nudie Thin Finns or something.

Sizing down 2 sizes is IMO, stupid, and sizing down 3 is ridiculous. If you're a masochist and you like your jeans to leave marks and blood blisters on your hips for the first three months go ahead.

LA Guy can back me up. You can size down one (slim), size normal (regular) or size up (baggy). Sizing down 2+ sizes is going to make your jeans like Geowu's old APCs, where they stretch so much that the buttons are visible because the fly is being pulled apart. You don't want your jeans to look like they're straining to fit on you. There are *PLENTY* of options for skinny jeans these days. You don't have to size down on APCs to achieve it.

I maintain that jeans are supposed to be comfortable when you first buy them. If they are not comfortable, you bought the wrong size. If you're afraid of stretching them and them becoming too baggy, get a different pair of jeans.

That said, Rescues are sized ridiculously. If you're getting Rescues, you need to size down 2 sizes to get a proper waist fit.

Brian and I wear our jeans a little differently. My jeans are usually pretty loose on my hips, so that even slim jeans have some room in the legs (which are reasonably muscular for my frame), and my true waist is just under 30", so I guess that it would be said that I usually size up 1 to begin with, or at very least, I round up. The only jeans I own where the legs don't have at least an inch or 2 of slack at the thighs are my Kicking Mules. I wear size 29 New Standard, and I would say that they have stretched out about a size in the waist, but more in the legs, mainly because I use my APC New Standards as my bang around jeans, so they get banged around quite a bit. They fit just slightly looser than my other jeans in a size 30. I could go down to a 28 pretty easily, but a 27 would probably look a little strange for while.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
APC New Standards are not a tight jean unless you have bulky thighs and glutes. If you want a tight jean, get Nudie Thin Finns or something.

Sizing down 2 sizes is IMO, stupid, and sizing down 3 is ridiculous. If you're a masochist and you like your jeans to leave marks and blood blisters on your hips for the first three months go ahead.

LA Guy can back me up. You can size down one (slim), size normal (regular) or size up (baggy). Sizing down 2+ sizes is going to make your jeans like Geowu's old APCs, where they stretch so much that the buttons are visible because the fly is being pulled apart. You don't want your jeans to look like they're straining to fit on you. There are *PLENTY* of options for skinny jeans these days. You don't have to size down on APCs to achieve it.

I maintain that jeans are supposed to be comfortable when you first buy them. If they are not comfortable, you bought the wrong size. If you're afraid of stretching them and them becoming too baggy, get a different pair of jeans.

That said, Rescues are sized ridiculously. If you're getting Rescues, you need to size down 2 sizes to get a proper waist fit.

?? Maybe it's a question of what you're sizing down from? My actual waist measurement is about 34.5, maybe 34.7, inches. My size 33 NS are on the loose side, where I essentially have to wear a belt. My size 32 Old Standards -- similar cut, I believe -- are far from straining or blistering; they are comfortable and not "tight" by any reasonable description. So unless we're having a terminology disconnect here, I've found that sizing down about 2.5 - 3 is appropriate in APC, as least once you've worn them a bit.
I have no experience with Rescues in particular.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
?? Maybe it's a question of what you're sizing down from? My actual waist measurement is about 34.5, maybe 34.7, inches. My size 33 NS are on the loose side, where I essentially have to wear a belt. My size 32 Old Standards -- similar cut, I believe -- are far from straining or blistering; they are comfortable and not "tight" by any reasonable description. So unless we're having a terminology disconnect here, I've found that sizing down about 2.5 - 3 is appropriate in APC, as least once you've worn them a bit.
I have no experience with Rescues in particular.

I think that there are 2 factors at play. First of all is this language disconnect you mention. My size 29 New Standards I consider "loose, regular" fit, but they have never sat flush with my hips, even when I first got them.

The second, perhaps more important, consideration is the wide variation in body types. I have pretty muscular legs for a guy my size (21" thighs and a 29-30" waist on a 5'11", 152lb body,) and the size 29" were pretty slim on my legs when I first got them, but have now stretched out considerably.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninjapie
What's a good inseam lenght for stacking, for someone who's about 1.74m?

Depends on your actual inseam, and on leg opening of the jeans, and on the denim itself. In general, however, I think that 2" is a plenty enough for stacking. So add 2" to your true inseam.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, would cold soaking its roots to begin with have prevented a busted trunk?

plain.gif

If who cracks a joke, and nobody laughs, was it ever really funny?

I give this thread only a few more hours until the signal:noise ratio matches that of the forum.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 pages of convo on one question... do you think it would be better to limit the number of "conversation" replies? I could see topics like the APC question taking over the thread and burying new questions which would make people want to start creating new threads.

The question was directed at Brian because it was in regards to a photo of Brian's APC's and he responded. "Ask A Question, get an Answer" right? Shouldn't the rest of the discussion be moved to the APC sizing thread?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any place that sells LVC 501s (1947, 1966) with an inseam bigger than 34 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads