• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: "Conservative Business Dress" or "Business Conservative Dress"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If anything maybe you one of the moderators could change the title to: Business Conservative Dress instead, if so many here really find it necessary to continue this discussion. That title is much more accurate and less objectionable from my perspective."

I took a walk in the snow, and thought on this issue. As a good Canadian should, I will put this to a referendum.

Please feel free to make your arguments for or against a change in the title of the thread in question ( http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=33066 )

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both poll options are the same.

Copy edit?

Or is this some oblique comment on SF democracy?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes, mack is right, the choices should reflect the title of this thread.

I can't vote until I have read Kasper's explication of the differences. Once having read and absorbed that, I will take a day or two to make up my mind, then I can vote with a clear conscience.

Stax

Reaction score
I voted for conservative business dress, but, the more I think about it, BCD is more appropriate. It seems like "conservative" should modify "dress," not "business."

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I took a walk in the snow.

Only another Canuck would get this reference ...

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would vote for small "c" conservative. Another Canadian thing?

Business Conservative Dress seems like broken English to me. Maybe a comma after conservative would solve the dilemma?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
We say "business casual dress" (BCD) but "conservative business dress" (conservative business dress) This is how it should be in order to keep the acronyms straight.

This thread and the entire question is indicative of a lot of people with too much time on their hands and their minds numbed from an obsessive concern with petty details.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
This thread and the entire question is indicative of a lot of people with too much time on their hands and their minds numbed from an obsessive concern with petty details.

Are you saying the the practice of democracy is petty, of no consequence? Perhaps you should stick to posting pictures in the social life section.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Are you saying the the practice of democracy is petty, of no consequence? Perhaps you should stick to posting pictures in the social life section.

Voting on essentially meaningless details, particularly those that go against the natural flow of the language, are a form of democracy that is of no consequence. It distracts one from the real practice of democracy. Actually, I was practicing democracy by pointing out how trivial this thread is.

Kasper has just led you all on a wild goose chase.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Voting on essentially meaningless details, particularly those that go against the natural flow of the language, are a form of democracy that is of no consequence. It distracts one from the real practice of democracy. Actually, I was practicing democracy by pointing out how trivial this thread is.

Kasper has just led you all on a wild goose chase.

You can always vote for what you consider to be the naturally flowing phrasing. Or would you consider the natural flow of language to be a trivial matter?

Also, who is this Kasper of whom you speak? The only Kasper is know of is a troll who was banned from here. Surely, Styleforum security measures would not allow him to re-register in any way, shape or form.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely, Styleforum security measures would not allow him to re-register in any way, shape or form.

snork[1].gif

SF security is worse than a sieve, or the Canadian-US border!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads