• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Seriously wtf? It's like saying going to disneyworld costs 5k because you have to spend 1k a night staying in a resort

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's a thread about how somebody was a schmuck because he decided to do something nice rather than to milk it for whatever money he could, how it costs $500 dollars to go to a baseball game when it really doesn't, and about how he deserves to see baseball and get a jersey and get a foot long hot dog because this is America. The sick congregation of get what you can or you are an asshole, woe is me and I am entitled is just a bit too much to bear.

I don't like how much sports cost either, but it is simply a function of supply and demand, except you can still sit in the bleachers and bring a sandwich and have fun with your kids, just like your parents used to do, but that isn't what NYR wants. He wants club level, foot massage and the rest of the works. Give me a break, really.

So, in conclusion, I agree with your sentiment, but his is not yours.

How can you say its supply and demand when the stadiums are half empty? And you can sit in the bleachers for $25, I'll give you that, but they'll take the sandwich you USED to be able to bring in, and toss it.

Re: the guy being a schmuck, in its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good guy. He had a chance to cash in on being in the right place at the right time. He didn't, and now he's on the line for a **** load of money because he didn't do what I would have done. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Anyone who doesn't generally agree with your mindset is always a horrible human right? You must be a barrel of laughs to hang around. I can see why your around here so much of your time. Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
How can you say its supply and demand when the stadiums are half empty? And you can sit in the bleachers for $25, I'll give you that, but they'll take the sandwich you USED to be able to bring in, and toss it.

Re: the guy being a schmuck, in its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing. It has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good guy. He had a chance to cash in on being in the right place at the right time. He didn't, and now he's on the line for a **** load of money because he didn't do what I would have done. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Anyone who doesn't generally agree with your mindset is always a horrible human right? You must be a barrel of laughs to hang around. I can see why your around here so much of your time. Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.

Man this is one incoherent ******* post.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Its also easy to say what you say when you are able to get what you want most of the time too, but its clear that fact is not lost on you or the people who read this.

huh?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not going to criticize the kid for giving it back, but I do think it's pretty lame of Jeter and the Yanks to not throw $100K his way.

These guys do make ludicrous amounts of coin off the fans, particularly in NYC, where Yanks tickets have priced normal families out of the market. The players are willing to hold out in contract negotiations, even go on strike, for their coin - and it frankly, to me, alters the fundamental contract between the fans and the players. Once upon a time I had a very different opinion, but the players do so much to get theirs, I have no problem with a fan trying to get their own.

Instead, what does this family get besides a not particularly fungible gift and a big ******* (cash) tax liability?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif
I'm a biggot because I find it funny that a material number of MLB players are not American given what you said? :laugh. Seriously, I read Ed's criticism of you in DT and thought he might be going a bit overboard, so I thought I'd read this thread. Your accusation against me shows he was probably being too easy on you. Not only do you lack any sense of humour, you are apparently unable to think and toss out powderkeg labels at the drop of a hat. And yet...you think you have the moral authority to call this stand up Joe that returned the ball a schmuck? The level of your idiocy apparently knows no bounds.

Nice work, teach.
laugh.gif

Btw, I'm a furriner myself. Are you a biggot for calling a furriner a bigot?
confused.gif

I read your comment re: the foreigners in the Major Leagues as bigoted. I can see now that you mustn't have been brought up here if you don't think that baseball is something quintessentially American. There aren't many things more American than baseball. So, no, its not because I say so. Its because it is. And there are a lot of bigoted Americans who do believe that the game is now "less American" because of it.

Nice work, *sorry don't know what you do for a living...

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm not going to criticize the kid for giving it back, but I do think it's pretty lame of Jeter and the Yanks to not throw $100K his way.

These guys do make ludicrous amounts of coin off the fans, particularly in NYC, where Yanks tickets have priced normal families out of the market. The players are willing to hold out in contract negotiations, even go on strike, for their coin - and it frankly, to me, alters the fundamental contract between the fans and the players. Once upon a time I had a very different opinion, but the players do so much to get theirs, I have no problem with a fan trying to get their own.

Instead, what does this family get besides a not particularly fungible gift and a big ******* (cash) tax liability?

So Douglas, Ripken hits his 3000th hit ball out of Camden. You're gonna try and make some coin off of it??

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
So Douglas, Ripken hits his 3000th hit ball out of Camden. You're gonna try and make some coin off of it??

You bet.

"Mr. Ripken, congratulations on your notable achievement. You are universally regarded as one of the good guys in sports and you are a pillar of the local community. You are a local hero and someone I respect and admire very much.

"I understand that you are interested in acquiring a baseball that is in my fully legal and recognized possession. I recognize that your fame, fortune, and no shortage of hard work have helped give this ball its value. I also recognize that, whether I attended your games or not, I have indirectly contributed to your salary by supporting the various state and local governments that sponsored the construction of your home stadium through my tax dollars, and the sham of a lease that your employer holds with my state. You, sir, as good a man as you are, have been part of a machine that coerces me to pay you in a way that I have never similarly asked of you.

"Still, I believe you should have this ball. That is why I am willing to give it to you for the sum of $Z thousand dollars, which represents a 50% discount to the market value of this ball, as supported by this written offer of $Zx2 thousand dollars as submitted by noted sports memorabilia collector Tood McFarlane.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You bet.

"Mr. Ripken, congratulations on your notable achievement. You are universally regarded as one of the good guys in sports and you are a pillar of the local community. You are a local hero and someone I respect and admire very much.

"I understand that you are interested in acquiring a baseball that is in my fully legal and recognized possession. I recognize that your fame, fortune, and no shortage of hard work have helped give this ball its value. I also recognize that, whether I attended your games or not, I have indirectly contributed to your salary by supporting the various state and local governments that sponsored the construction of your home stadium through my tax dollars, and the sham of a lease that your employer holds with my state. You, sir, as good a man as you are, have been part of a machine that coerces me to pay you in a way that I have never similarly asked of you.

"Still, I believe you should have this ball. That is why I am willing to give it to you for the sum of $Z thousand dollars, which represents a 50% discount to the market value of this ball, as supported by this written offer of $Zx2 thousand dollars as submitted by noted sports memorabilia collector Tood McFarlane.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"

worship.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
New York ranger you are a ******* teacher and are getting your an you're wrong come the **** on

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
New York ranger you are a ******* teacher and are getting your an you're wrong come the **** on

what the fukk???

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bet.

Yours respectfully,

-Douglas"

If this were actually sent to Cal Douglas would quickly become Baltimore Steve Bartman. On another note, my brother took me down to Charleston's not too long ago, that place kicks ass.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
If this were actually sent to Cal Douglas would quickly become Baltimore Steve Bartman. On another note, my brother took me down to Charleston's not too long ago, that place kicks ass.
Nope, because for anyone in Baltimore to become another Steve Bartman, the Orioles would have to be in the playoffs.
teacha.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, because for anyone in Baltimore to become another Steve Bartman, the Orioles would have to be in the playoffs.
teacha.gif

laugh.gif
frown.gif
laugh.gif

I'm turning into Aubrey Huff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads