• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

cielo

Reaction score
FYI, I just bought a pair of Desert Treks from Footlocker for $60 + s/h&tax after a 40% coupon. I don't like them as much as the Deserts, but I figure I'd try since I can just return them at the local store.

Desert Treks

The discount code is FF7JCE57 and is valid through 1/15. Nike, Asics Heely, and Jordan are excluded. Good luck!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has Peal & Co desert boots at 50%-off: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...uct_Id=1039070
207H_enlarged.jpg
Are these worth three times as much as the Clarks boots? And if so, does anyone know how they fit?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'ma hafta get me some of these. I've got the same q re: fit...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the clarks desert boots have a much nicer shape than those...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Peal boots are either Sargent or C+J and look VERY nice, and I'd say worth the price diff at the sale price, but even with the crepe sole, totally different feel than the desert boots. I can't picture them with narrow jeans, for example.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the style of the Peal much more that the Clarks.

The problem I have with Clarks is that the toe is too 'chunky' looking, so when your pant leg covers the shaft of the boot, it just looks like you're wearing construction boots like some hip-hop style gangsta thug.

The Peal's are a bit more sleek and tapered towards the tip of the toes, so I don't think you'd have the same problem. I'd still really like to see a picture of someone wearing them, though. (So I think this is a case where you should take one for the team
wink.gif
)

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Those Peal boots are either Sargent or C+J and look VERY nice, and I'd say worth the price diff at the sale price, but even with the crepe sole, totally different feel than the desert boots. I can't picture them with narrow jeans, for example.

in general, or relative to the clarks desert boots? i would think that the peals would go better with narrow jeans than the desert boots. i find narrow jeans and bulkier shoes to be incompatible....

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the dudes who I see wearing narrower jeans don't mind a bulky shoe, and I think the clarks have a nice silhouette for that. They're a little sloppy and bohemian.

The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS, or some corduroy pants, but I dunno about a pair of Acnes.

I'm basing only on having seen Brooks' regular leather soled chukkas, but I think it's the same last.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for dealing with water stains on suede? Or am I basically screwed short of going at them with a can of wax?

tangerine

Reaction score
^ a nubuck block will basically "sand out" the edges of the stain, unfortunately it will also take off some of the suede; generally the area you "clean" will be lighter afterwards.

My experience has been that if you want to wear suede around water, an ounce of prevention in the form of a weatherproofing treatment is the best bet; once the stain is there, I don't know of a non-destructive way to get rid of it. Maybe someone else knows one...

Empire

Reaction score
Most of the dudes who I see wearing narrower jeans don't mind a bulky shoe, and I think the clarks have a nice silhouette for that. They're a little sloppy and bohemian.

The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS, or some corduroy pants, but I dunno about a pair of Acnes.

I'm basing only on having seen Brooks' regular leather soled chukkas, but I think it's the same last.

I've found the best jean i have to go with clarks desert boots is my straight sven. I used to wear them with ralfs but as someone else mentioned they do look a bit hip hop with larger leg openings. Not sure i agree with your "bohemian" comment. When i here that word it makes me think of hippies
confused.gif
Clarks desert boots for me have always been a mod thing

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS
Reasonably-worn APC NSs are exactly what I'll be wearing them with!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Thank you for all your comments, guys. It turns out that Brooks is running a 15% sale until next Monday, plus I get a $10 first time discount, so the total ended up being $180 + $23 shipping to Canada ($13 in the US). Clearly the gods wanted me to have these shoes!
worship.gif
But by the time FedEx is done schlepping them over the border, it's liable to be winter, so I'm afraid I can't be taking one for the team today.
confused.gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Reasonably-worn APC NSs are exactly what I'll be wearing them with!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Thank you for all your comments, guys.

It turns out that Brooks is running a 15% sale until next Monday, plus I get a $10 first time discount, so the total ended up being $180 + $23 shipping to Canada ($13 in the US). Clearly the gods wanted me to have these shoes!
worship.gif

But by the time FedEx is done schlepping them over the border, it's liable to be winter, so I'm afraid I can't be taking one for the team today.
confused.gif

Dude, you had me until you mentioned FedEx was shipping them. Good luck with those brokerage fees.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads