1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Clarks Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jared, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I like those Jared, even more than Clarks.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Those Peal boots are either Sargent or C+J and look VERY nice, and I'd say worth the price diff at the sale price, but even with the crepe sole, totally different feel than the desert boots. I can't picture them with narrow jeans, for example.

3. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

I like the style of the Peal much more that the Clarks.

The problem I have with Clarks is that the toe is too 'chunky' looking, so when your pant leg covers the shaft of the boot, it just looks like you're wearing construction boots like some hip-hop style gangsta thug.

The Peal's are a bit more sleek and tapered towards the tip of the toes, so I don't think you'd have the same problem. I'd still really like to see a picture of someone wearing them, though. (So I think this is a case where you should take one for the team [​IMG] )

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Those Peal boots are either Sargent or C+J and look VERY nice, and I'd say worth the price diff at the sale price, but even with the crepe sole, totally different feel than the desert boots. I can't picture them with narrow jeans, for example.

in general, or relative to the clarks desert boots? i would think that the peals would go better with narrow jeans than the desert boots. i find narrow jeans and bulkier shoes to be incompatible....

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Most of the dudes who I see wearing narrower jeans don't mind a bulky shoe, and I think the clarks have a nice silhouette for that. They're a little sloppy and bohemian.

The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS, or some corduroy pants, but I dunno about a pair of Acnes.

I'm basing only on having seen Brooks' regular leather soled chukkas, but I think it's the same last.

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Anyone have any tips for dealing with water stains on suede? Or am I basically screwed short of going at them with a can of wax?

7. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

^ a nubuck block will basically "sand out" the edges of the stain, unfortunately it will also take off some of the suede; generally the area you "clean" will be lighter afterwards.

My experience has been that if you want to wear suede around water, an ounce of prevention in the form of a weatherproofing treatment is the best bet; once the stain is there, I don't know of a non-destructive way to get rid of it. Maybe someone else knows one...

8. Empire

Empire Senior member

Most of the dudes who I see wearing narrower jeans don't mind a bulky shoe, and I think the clarks have a nice silhouette for that. They're a little sloppy and bohemian.

The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS, or some corduroy pants, but I dunno about a pair of Acnes.

I'm basing only on having seen Brooks' regular leather soled chukkas, but I think it's the same last.

I've found the best jean i have to go with clarks desert boots is my straight sven. I used to wear them with ralfs but as someone else mentioned they do look a bit hip hop with larger leg openings. Not sure i agree with your "bohemian" comment. When i here that word it makes me think of hippies [​IMG] Clarks desert boots for me have always been a mod thing

9. Jared

Jared Senior member

The peals' dress chukka cut, and high and narrow lacing (even taking into account they'd be laced a little wider on a foot than in the pic) might look great with a pair of Nudie RRs, even reasonably worn APC NS
    Reasonably-worn APC NSs are exactly what I'll be wearing them with! [​IMG] Thank you for all your comments, guys. It turns out that Brooks is running a 15% sale until next Monday, plus I get a $10 first time discount, so the total ended up being $180 + $23 shipping to Canada ($13 in the US). Clearly the gods wanted me to have these shoes! [​IMG] But by the time FedEx is done schlepping them over the border, it's liable to be winter, so I'm afraid I can't be taking one for the team today. [​IMG]

10. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Reasonably-worn APC NSs are exactly what I'll be wearing them with! [​IMG] Thank you for all your comments, guys.

It turns out that Brooks is running a 15% sale until next Monday, plus I get a $10 first time discount, so the total ended up being $180 + $23 shipping to Canada ($13 in the US). Clearly the gods wanted me to have these shoes! [​IMG]

But by the time FedEx is done schlepping them over the border, it's liable to be winter, so I'm afraid I can't be taking one for the team today. [​IMG]

Dude, you had me until you mentioned FedEx was shipping them. Good luck with those brokerage fees. [​IMG]

11. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Clarks desert boots look absolutely amazing with a PBJ xx-005. Much more than nudie RR, IMO. Not hip-hop in the least. Definately far from the Lugz look!

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Yeah, they're definitely not similar shoes. They may not be narrow Italian shoes, but I have no idea why some people think desert boots are chunky. Tims are chunky.

13. benchan

benchan Senior member

Couple of Qs:

Can anyone tell me if they will stretch in width? I feel that they are pretty tight at the widest part of my feet.

Which colour is your favourite?

14. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

They will stretch a bit. Hard to say if it'll be enough, but the leather does give somewhat. I really only like the brown.

15. itskub

itskub Senior member

I read a zappos review that they do tend to stretch. Im normally a 10.5/11 in shoes, but I think I need to exchange my pair for a 10. The back of the shoe feels like its barely making any contact, these clarks are like CT-oversized.

16. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Yeah, definitely size down 1/2 size from your true size for these.

The problem is the conversion from UK to US size. Clarks does the conversion as 1/2 size, where in reality it's more like 1 full size. For example, if you wear a 10US you should get a 9UK, but what Clarks calls a 10US is actually a 9.5UK.

CT does the same thing.

17. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Yeah Im a 10 1/2 and I bought my desert boots in 10 1/2 and theyre a good half size too big after stretching. It sucks when I trip on my own toe in front of girls.. [​IMG]

By the way, the brown leather looks awesome after time.

18. dapperdude

dapperdude Senior member

Can they substitute for suede bucks?

I'm looking for something I can wear with chinos. I am still trying to decide whether to get bucks or desert boots.

19. fg0d

fg0d Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy a pair in black for work/dressup occasians as soon as I can scrap up the funds.

20. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

endless.com was having a sale on them a week or two ago. ~$60, minus the $5 for overnight, so I got some for $55. They're incrediby comfortable for weekends and around the house, and I even wear them to work (fridays, that is), but I wouldn't use them for "dress up" occasions at all. They're a bit like Uggs for men, with their ultracasual unstructured last.