• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Any Lowndes? I wolud love to be able to try them on (think they might be too narrow) and get them at a decent price. Double monks are next on the shoe hitlist. Or am I asking too much?

Thank you to all who reported on the HB sale, think I will give it a miss.

The lowndes is on the 348 last, and its pretty narrow. Herringbone carry the lowndes so you can always try one on there.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Merkin Tailors stock any Hallams in suede?

And how much would Sam down at Docklands charge to hem and slim down pants in one go? Looking to alter the light blue cotton trousers I bought yesterday and thought to give someone else other than Katrina's a go.

EDIT: For that pair of cotton trousers, they are the made in Italy ones, would throwing them in the wash cause them to shrink enough to slim down a bit? They are also a bit long.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Good seeing you again too Checky. Mind you, the lack of a P.Johnson suit was noted. I'm the same about those blazers. The sleeves only came halfway down my wrist, which was ridiculous. I got out of there for < $150, which was OK. Picked up a shirt, some chinos and socks. I didn't think there were any spectacular bargains, other than SCs designed for kangaroos.
Any point in dropping in there today do you think? I have short arms in relation to my chest/shoulder measurement so those blazers might be interesting if they have anything around a 38/40. Or is everything generally gone by day 2? Never been to a HB sale before!

miketcooper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style-less.
They are cotton only, I wash mine all the time. They are not dry clean only, specifically made as a whole suit to clean at home. Not a hit at you, I just know you can wash them. Cold wash never hot.

I think you're talking about 2 different trousers.

I've seen both 100% cotton made in Italy trousers (trouser leg comes finished) and more tailored Cotton and Elastane made in Turkey number that comes un-hemmed.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Sales last for a couple of weeks normally.
Thanks for the heads up. Here's hoping I can cop a pair of C&Js in my size, and they they're comfy enough for me to run very fast when Mrs. Tone finds out I've dropped nearly 400 beans on a pair of shoes ...
boxing[1].gif
laugh.gif

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Any point in dropping in there today do you think? I have short arms in relation to my chest/shoulder measurement so those blazers might be interesting if they have anything around a 38/40.
I bought a 40, normally I'm a 38. Fits well. Can get away with a sleeve length, cuff shows nicely.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Does Merkin Tailors stock any Hallams in suede?
I saw a box of Hallams..can't remember size or colour. Not on sale though.

They also stock Carminas and Gaziano and Girling.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Well I survived my first Herringbone warehouse sale almost entirely unharmed. Wallet took a slight hit. Navy wool cardigan for $50 and a tie which I don't quite understand. Model name is Granger and it appears to be a 6-fold weave of some kind. It has a fine square pattern to it. I liked the weight and feel of it and at $149->$70 figured it was worth a shot. Anyone know anything about them? It also came in dark green.

Good tie that; one of the last of its kind before they switched suppliers and the quality suffered dramatically.

Originally Posted by Doug11
Q: What do Melbournians think of Sydney ?
A: They don't.

Originally Posted by blahman
^^^ What he said is still partially true though. Sydney is rubbish and far inferior to Melbourne :p

Ahhh... Mexicans; gotta love 'em.

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Karate-chop him C.E.P.

Done.

Whoops... think I hear the coppers at my door... gotta run!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Herringbone is starting to get just a little too fashion forward for its good? (Lotsa peak lapels, one skinny lapel, multi-striped shirts that are difficult to match with ties etc.)

Also, have you heard? They have a new MTM service based on the Scabal block. Why they did not go with the ever-popular Osaka as the template just astounds me! Prolly a decision from the Van Laack Group... and imo, not a very good one.

What does everyone else think?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
The lowndes is on the 348 last, and its pretty narrow. Herringbone carry the lowndes so you can always try one on there.

The Lowndes is a beautiful shoe. And provided your feet aren't too big, it will look pretty good when shod.

Also, narrow as it is, it's still a wider, more comfortable fit than my Carmina chestnut brogues in the Simpson Last.

fox81

Reaction score
I sized up 0.5 for my carmina's and they fit well. ill never fit a c&j 348 E.

herringbone sale wasnt great. i bought some of the red turkish trousers for 50 dollars.

the american tailors sale is pretty good. they have some handgrades as well as benchgrades for 395. some drakes ties for 59 as well as what has been mentioned earlier.
the castagnia trousers on the table looked amazing, although at 50% off 565, theyre still not an impulse buy.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
Good tie that; one of the last of its kind before they switched suppliers and the quality suffered dramatically.

Good to know my instinct was right, thanks.

__PG__

Reaction score
the american tailors sale is pretty good. they have some handgrades as well as benchgrades for 395.
They had what looked like a Brecon boot in black...but it wasn't a model I recognise at all the catalogue.

the castagnia trousers on the table looked amazing, although at 50% off 565, theyre still not an impulse buy.

laugh.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

herringbone sale wasnt great. i bought some of the red turkish trousers for 50 dollars.

the american tailors sale is pretty good. they have some handgrades as well as benchgrades for 395. some drakes ties for 59 as well as what has been mentioned earlier.

I seriously need to stay away from Style Forum.
Now I will have to fight the urge to walk to Merkin Tailors and look for those ties.

What are available anyway? I hope not the slimmer ones and the knit ones.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Any Lowndes? I wolud love to be able to try them on (think they might be too narrow) and get them at a decent price. Double monks are next on the shoe hitlist. Or am I asking too much?

Thank you to all who reported on the HB sale, think I will give it a miss.

You can try the Lowndes on at Herringbone. At least in Sydney at the Macquarie Place store.

I have a pair of dub monk Carminas in size 10 and as I don't like snug fit much if I can avoid it I would also size up .5 next time. I got into a pair of size 10 Lowndes though and they were snug but then so were my Cliffords a bit on the 337. What is a generous Loake like last on C&J anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads