1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

What so you also saying you don't like those 100% silk trench coats either? :uhoh:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. fxh

fxh Senior member

If you spent less time perving on those Hello Kitty Betel Nut Girls .......

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Because you've got yellow fever?

If I ever went to Japan I doubt I'd make it home alive. Japanese girls really push my buttons.

4. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Some interesting views from everyone who had their say on my racial profiling.

In other news I visited Christian to have a look at the Lowndes he had ordered in for me unfortunately the fit of that last just isn't for me. I'm now contacting the armoury to discuss Carmina sizing.

5. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

You're imaging all of the awesomely bad stuff that saucy minx would do to you.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  6. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Hey guys, I've been lurking about for a little while reading about suits. I'm looking to buy a suit for my wedding next year, but really have no idea about suits! Just thought i'd ask for some advice, as I live is Tassie there is hardly anything worthwhile buying here. I'm heading over to Melb in March and will be looking to buy my suit while over there.

I had my mind set on getting a Hugo Boss suit as I thought they were quite a good suit? But I noticed a lot of people saying to stay away from them? I have read a lot about Ralph Lauren black/purple label, and I like the look of their suit.

I was looking to spend maybe around $1000. but would be willing to spend a bit more if I have too. I really like Zegna suits, but I have no idea what they retail for (I would assume a hell of a lot more then $1000) as I can't find the brand in Tassie...

All help and suggestions would be appreciated! I really like slim fitting clothing, so would like some slim fitting suit brands. Thanks for your help guys!

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Blahman, I go to Japan for family reasons now so I'm not up with the cool places to party, but I can give you some suggestions about places to shop and eat etc as I've been going there for 20 years.

How long are you there for, are you travelling outside Tokyo, and have you been there before or is this your first time?

Give me a bit of info, and I'll either post a response here or send you something via PM.

8. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

I have a Bayswater Peacoat with the Thinsulate. It's amazing. Worth every cent.

9. JSSM

JSSM Well-Known Member

Wait until heavy sales and you might get zenga for about that. Full retail, Herringbone offers slim fitting suits for $1000+. Again, less during sales. There's also MJ Bale for a similar price point. These suits will need altering, so is stretching a little more for mtm out of the question? If its an expensive wedding, a little more on the suit won't hurt, and it's more reusable than a wedding dress.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

First time, 1 week, pretty much mostly in Tokyo. Will I be freezing my arse off?

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

And think how much that dress set you back! It's only fair hahahahaha.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If you're going to be there in a month's time, no, it won't be that cold.

Tokyo's warmer than quite a lot of other areas in Japan as it's next to the sea and benefits from the warm ocean currents. It gets pretty cold in December - particularly late in December - and the nights are often around zero degrees and perhaps lower at that time, but it usually doesn't snow in Tokyo until mid- to late January. Late November will be chilly but not really cold.

I'll try sending you a PM but I'm not sure how much info I can squeeze into one PM so it might take a few messages depending on how much stream-of-consciousness stuff I pull out of my brain.

Do you have somewhere to stay as yet, by the way?

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Same. It's not even expensive. I think mine was a little under $200 USD including NY sales tax when I was over there. I do believe it was on sale at the time, though..

14. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Member

Anyone know where you can buy Men's Ex magazine in Australia? A 6-month subscription through http://www.cdjapan.co.jp is around $159 (including $86 shipping), so if there's anywhere more local that sells them, I'd love to hear about it! :)

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

JB, you can order it through the Kinokuniya store in Sydney - give them a call and they will post the latest copy up to you. They also carry a few other Japanese men's clothing magazines, too. I don't know how competitive their pricing + delivery will be.

Neyus of Deer Style has quite a few back copies if you'd like to have a browse through them.

16. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

ordered a dark brown suede C&J belt from Shoes of Northhampton (to go with the brown suede Lowndes I got from Christian), arrived in about a week. Good service, and good communication.

17. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Herringbone just fired off an update your details and get a $50 online voucher ... (no pocket squares though)

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

The Bayswater Peacoat from J Crew seems to tick every box I think makes a good peacoat.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/outerwear/PRDOVR~87195/87195.jsp

For me I'd think the inner quilting lining might wear a bit hot but those here who have one will know better than me.

19. fxh

fxh Senior member

I wouldn't be too quick to say theres not much worthwhile in Tassie.

I was over to see MONA a couple of weeks ago. Routleys and Fellini (?? I think thats the name) seem more than ok to me.
    It doesn't say so on Routleys web site but I thought one of them had some Zegna suits from memory.

Routleys have a bigger range and their prices seem reasonable enough. The other place which I think is called Fellini was a bit pricey but decent enough stuff, including shoes.

Although you would getter a bigger range of choices in Melbourne you are not likely to spend a lot less and you'll have to run around all over the place..

The advantage of shopping locally is that you can make decisions without being pressured and go away and have a think. In addition you'll have the advantage of a local tailor recommended for alterations and you can use that tailor to get what you want in alterations and fit.

Paying a bit more locally is likely to work out cheaper and a better deal in the long run.

20. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yeah, same. I'm not sure what is correct historically re: button placement, but they're not very close to one another. I've noticed some older pea coats where the double-breasted buttons are so close it looks silly. I'm also not found of vents.

To the OP, they were selling them on Mr. Porter a little while back (only in black, though). Do check that out, though, because their site provides measurements of the actual item, not just generic size guides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.