1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

Nope - I catch a train on the days I'm not riding my bike.

And as I've said before..I only go 'sockless' with moccasin/driving shoes. A dress shoe needs socks IMO.

2. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I usually hate tatts but why does it look so hot?!

3. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

because tatts are freaking awesome that's why

4. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

You sure it's the tats you're fixated on, mate?

Can't be her shapely back can it now eh? :satisfied:

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Hey J'Man

Need your shipping address; PM me pronto!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

shoe sizing is my new nemesis. My RM's haven't stretched out, in fact they have 'moulded' to become slightly tighter! My sperry's a bought have stretched out atleast a whole size after 3 wears, and are too loose. my incoming allen edmonds will no doubt be ill fitting in some regard
    /rookie rant

7. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

That is just about as tacky as it gets

8. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

That is just about as tacky as it gets

What size are you in AEs and RMs? I'll let you know my 2c

9. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

:embar:

10. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

yeah, would appreciate..
    Well i bought a pair of 9F in RM's but they are too tight (a hint too short as well), so ordered another pair of 9G, yet to arrive though. Ordered 10D in sperry's (equivalent to 9G in RM's i thought) but they have loosened much more than i thought. Incoming AE's are 10.5D.

pretty much sizing issues are my fault but still annoying.

11. DeepBlu

DeepBlu Member

FWIW - My AE's are 11.5D and fit well and my RMW size is 10.5F.

12. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

I am a 9 in RMS and 10.5 in AEs, but go a 9.5US in all boaties/car shoes. If they run a little small, get a cobbler to stretch them a little

Hahah the inked chick, not you mate!

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if RMW stores stock Akubra straw hats?

The Akubra site lists them as a stockist but I haven't noticed them on the couple of occasions I have wombled around an RMW store.

14. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Yay! Got my Bartalesi wholecuts today... or so it should be yay. In all the excitement, I didn't check the left shoe. Just got back to the office and checked the shoes proper and the left one is very creased and a dent on the toe, looking like a lot of shopwear. :(

15. meister

meister Well-Known Member

They are stocking a Panama which I bought 25% off a month ago. It is "upholstered" (has a cloth covering to the underside) and a little too much taper (ie not a straight up and down crown) which is also pronounced but a well made Panama for AUD95 and one you could even wear in a shower unlike my fine Ecuadorian Montecristi!

16. Dicko

Dicko Well-Known Member

thanks mate! we're very similar sizes

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Cheers Meister.

Ouch, did the Montecristi survive? Those things are costly.

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I thought I should add something to the peacoat statements I made.

The peacoat was originally Navy jacket, not really a coat. (That’s using the word coat to be overcoat and jackets to be more fitted, - its more complicated than that and not everyone uses the same terminology). They were designed for the workers, the sailors or reefers to wear while reefing in and folding or unfolding, the sails. They were more designed to protect from cold and winds than rain or water and to allow some freedom of movement for labouring work – reefing. They were cut short-ish to allow for movement too and were double breasted to seal up the front well and get the buttons out of the way from getting caught while working. The pockets were usually straight slits or slanted and on the side and around waist height. They were made of roughish wool and the nap was on the outside and of a very dark, almost black navy blue. The buttons are traditionally metal with a anchor and rope motif although many these days use ordinary buttons. The buttons look best if they are on the large side. They are still issued to the US and UK navy and used today.

They have, like a lot of military gear, evolved and been adopted in civilian life. The peacoat /jacket is a cousin of the more refined double breasted reefer/ blazer/blue jacket, which went to other way probably for officers and is now also part of “classic” dress wardrobe and a semi-formal or business wear depending where you are. (in some circles the double breasted refined reefer jacket might be seen as more toward casual wear at the Yacht Club dinner.). The peacoat has its less refined antipodean cousin in the Tasmanian Bluey Jacket – which is still pure work wear.

To me, and following on from the above, the Peacoat with its rough nap works best as a jacket in cold weather over jeans or perhaps thick wale cords or say heavy twill or chinos. A more casual item of clothing. The closer it is to the original idea the better it works. Its simple work wear that looks good. As I see it combining the peacoat with business city wear doesn’t work that well. For one the peacoat is usually and best worn slightly fitted and not over another jacket but perhaps over a shirt or jumper.

Given all the above then I don’t particularly like the Indochino model. It seems to be getting too far away from its origins with zip, and straps (in opposition to the original seeking to avoid things that would catch), loose back belt and most important in my eyes the cashmere mix. Cashmere, is a luxury fabric, and takes it too far away from the origins to work in my view.

Peacoats are a good, almost essential wardrobe item, but for casual. If you want a peacoat I’d look toward the work wear suppliers rather than fashion retailers as the workwear companies stick somewhat to the original purpose. I’d be looking at Sierra Trading, LL Bean, Schott. Lands End and LE Canvass and so on. In my view the peacoat looks best with no vents but I understand a single vent is traditional.

Depending on what you are after, I am thinking something to throw over a suit for commuting you might look at a short light fly front treated cotton blend raincoat, that ends between thigh and knee in khaki/beige or navy or a light trench coat. The old mod look still works for some and if you like that then a car coat or parka might work. The car coat, depending on what type it is can look smart over a suit and the loose sloppy green parka has a stark contrast with a suit and tie that works for some.

Nothing I’ve said should be meant to imply that there is some golden rule that if broken will have people laughing and pointing at you, but knowing a bit about history and context might help you in your decisions.

Good luck.

Pic of a version of a Tasmanian Bluey Jacket ( I can't get a pic uploaded or displayed here)
    http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/large/541769.jpg

19. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

?? I don't usually wear a hat in the shower at all.

20. __PG__

__PG__ Well-Known Member

Guess you'll be heading back there to swap them? Hope they have the same model in your size.
    Was Alessandro there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.