1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

So I bought some Cheaney's a few weeks ago - worn about 4 times now. They seem to be pretty comfortable so far, but I'm wondering if calf leather will soften over time much - they do seem quite 'tough'?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

What is good in Japan, however, particularly for slimmer/smaller people, are clothes.

Shirts, ties, coats and so on can all be purchased at excellent prices, particularly during sales time.
    The sales really are sensational and it's possible to buy Finamore and Barba shirts at places like Ships (a clothing store with branches in various places in Tokyo) for about $150 during sales. Shirts from Harvie and Hudson are available from department stores like Matsuya and Mitsukoshi for ridiculously low prices at sales time, and classic, silk print ties from Holliday & Brown sell for $70-$80 each, which is fantastic value as they're easily as good as Drake's ties.

Also, don't forget to check out Uniqlo for cheap clothing essentials - colourful t-shirts, socks, made-in-Japan selvedge jeans and cheap shirts, jumpers and jackets.

3. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Incotex/mabitex usually. From the forum of ebay

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Op shops. (Seriously).

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The uppers of my calf leather Loakes took a few weeks to break in...the soles took months.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I've got a few pairs of Loakes and for the last couple of pairs, I applied several coats of RM Williams's leather conditioner to the vamp of the new shoes before wearing them, and I let them sit for a day or so in between applications so that the leather conditioner could soak in. When I then wore them for the first time, they felt very comfortable and wore in very quickly.

7. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I've got wide ankles so the section of the upper where you insert your foot needed to stretch a bit. I also put loads of conditioner and then a light polish before I wear my shoes.

My C&Js also needed a bit of breaking in around the ankles..but they were fine by day #2.

BTW in a worrying sign that I may need some genuine help, I had a dream the other night that the C&J Seymour II (double monk on the 358 last that is due out soon) was a horrendous 'fashionable' shoe and I was very disappointed.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

A bit of conditioner will soften things up, but based on experience with leather bicycle seats, Brookes, you can put too much on and loosen the leather too much. Shoes are more constrained and less stretched than a bike seat so don't worry too much.

Soles can be made more flexible by conditioner too, or Dubbin, or even furniture wax, but don't polish it on the sole.

The best way to wear shoes in, despite general advice not to wear shoes everyday, is in fact to wear new shoes as often as possible when you first get them. Even on consecutive days.

A word of warning, leather shoes aren't meant to be as soft as sneakers or athletic shoes etc.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. jobro

jobro Senior member

Try wearing two pairs of socks when breaking in the shoes. I find it makes it a lot easier.

10. tone76

tone76 Senior member

I think in this case, it boils down to which location you prefer. Whilst I've never stayed at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay, I've stayed in other Stamford hotels in the past and was happy with the experience.

+1 Op shops. I've copped Brioni, Canali, PRL and Corneliani from op shops. Usually in the better suburbs, although it seems like almost every op shop has at least one pair of PRL chinos in there at any given time.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Thrifting might work for other people, but I'm like a 30/33, so it's next to impossible for me to find any decent pairs that fit.

Personally I'm all about Howard Yount. I have two pairs and from now on I'll doubt I'll buy anything else.

12. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I've just ordered my first pair of HY trousers, can't wait to get them.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Not this week. It's Friday and I'm in my Adidas gear. :laugh:
    Although I do still have a piece of clothing from Herringbone on.
    I reckon I have cross paths with fxh many a times already since I have some reason to believe that he and I live and work pretty close by.
    Matter of time before we cross swords - or cross words!

14. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Haven't stayed at either, but i reckon the Sir Stamford is a better location. It's opposite the botanic gardens, which are right on the harbour at farm cove. You are at the promenade which leads from CQ to the Opera House (if the weather is nice - the Opera Bar is a really good, and very Sydney, place to hang out). You could have high tea in the atrium of the Intercontinental next door (historic treasury building). You can walk across the gardens or the domain to the Art Gallery of NSW or down to the finger wharf in Woolloomooloo bay (bar + resaurants) or you could go for a swim at the Boy Carlton pool right on the habour opposite the Garden Island naval base. Lots of things to do around there.

It's also very good for transport. From CQ, you can get a ferry around to Darling Harbour, Balmain, Luna Park, Manly and the Zoo. There is also a bus stop outside the AMP building, from which buses leave for Darlinghurst, Paddington and Bondi. It is also on the route for the free city shuttle bus loop.

The Amora, on the other hand is an easy walk to all the shops in the CBD, but it is just off the Northern end of George Street and on Friday and Saturday night that area is overtaken by doof doof cars cruising up and down.

15. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Fox81 clearly. And I thought I was the only white person contributing to this thread.

For the record, the shoes were from Zees.

16. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

^ seems like we all might live in the same area too

17. Texmo

Texmo Active Member

What is your favourite shoe store in melbourne? I need me some new shoes.

Cheers

18. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Wait, just how many of us live in the inner north east?

19. mattc

mattc Member

Sir Stamford is nice...mind you, I usually end up at the Intercontinental. The view from the 31st floor in the mornings is quite spectacular.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Second the sentiments above and stay at CQ you'll have a far better time the options there are limitless if you have time a ferry to Manly for fish and chips is fun or else ferry out to Watson's Bay. And also with the city train loop you get get up town quick,, also if you do want to go to Paddington or Darlo the walk from Kiings Cross isn't that bad during the day and its faster r than the buses, the congestion in the city is absurd at any time of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.