• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC4 - The Perfect Suit

FELT

Reaction score
I did enjoy this, but it's telling that a programme like this presents itself as a foray into a strange and exotic world, that's a mystery to the presenter and likely to the viewer too. A typical programme on architecture, say, doesn't tend to be presented by someone with no knowledge of or interest in architecture.

Best bit for me was Antony Price apparently being played by Peter Cook.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Really appreciate you doing this but for some reason, I can't extract the RAR file for Part 1 at least. Do you think you could do this by ZIP or something?

Thanks in advance.

You think he should recompress and reupload the entire thing because you can't be bothered to take 2 minutes to figure out how to extract it properly?

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You think he should recompress and reupload the entire thing because you can't be bothered to take 2 minutes to figure out how to extract it properly?

Jeez, I downloaded two other RAR programmes just to see if I could fix it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Jeez, I downloaded two other RAR programmes just to see if I could fix it.

Try using WinRAR or 7-Zip. What exactly is the problem you're having? Make sure you've downloaded both files before trying to extract them as they are a multipart RAR so will extract as one.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Try using WinRAR or 7-Zip. What exactly is the problem you're having? Make sure you've downloaded both files before trying to extract them as they are a multipart RAR so will extract as one.

AH! Got it about the multipart RAR; that was the problem.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go through a UK proxy server and you should be able to view BBC iPlayer from anywhere.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
download both parts before extracting.

thanks for the upload, I'll watch it tonight.

Trit

Reaction score
I quite liked the show. It is an entry level approach but I learned stuff about the history of the suit that I didn't know and the host, while a neophyte, was charming. It was made for the layman but it didn't strike me as inaccurate or sensationalized.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought it was entertaining. I agree the Topman segment was ridiculous and could/should have been eliminated ... but i understand the context/reason why they put it in there. I dont even know/agree it is the current trend for fashion forward suits. At best it is fashion forward suits done very poorly.

Needless to say, it was entertaining - and there were specific nuggets of information i gleaned that i previously didnt have. In general, nothing was new though. I applaud BBC for even spending the time to do this, since IMO the ad value on this isn't significant ... could be wrong though.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
... However, his natural appreciation for aesthetics and artistic intent allowed him to identify and expound some of the reasons for the suit's ongoing existence and its emotional/psychological import. A more technically savvy presenter may well have missed this crucial aspect to clothing. The social history of the suit came across well, and his final closing piece to camera on why a suit remains both relevant and enjoyable to wear today was an accurate and pleasing summary. This programme's conclusion was really about the aesthetic/emotional meaning of a perfect suit, not its execution. If that interests you - it certainly is why I personally like clothes - then you'll probably enjoy watching this one.

Nicely put, Holdfast. I thought the show was quite good. Obviously, it's not as technically involved as many of us would have liked, but the overall conclusion about the relevance of the suit was interesting. I especially enjoyed the evolution of the lounge suit from labour party revolutionary statement to aristocratic rebellion to establishment uniform. The bit about politicians could have been plucked from Manton's book. The best part for me was the NewRo soundtrack (Spandau Ballet! Depheche Mode! Duran Duran! Roxy Music!) and the point that musicians have helped perpetuate the life of the suit.

i thought it was entertaining. I agree the Topman segment was ridiculous and could/should have been eliminated ... but i understand the context/reason why they put it in there. I dont even know/agree it is the current trend for fashion forward suits. At best it is fashion forward suits done very poorly.

The inclusion of some kind of mass-market retailer was interesting. The fact that the suit is a best-seller is indicative of its resilience. But, I agree not the best example of designer suits. My take away was the host had a bad impression anyway: ill-fitting, weird details,etc.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads