• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBC4 - The Perfect Suit

dbc

Reaction score
sooke1655_1938286a.jpg

Might have been fitted by Paul Smith, but there's still a collar gap!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Might have been fitted by Paul Smith, but there's still a collar gap!

I guess it's just one of his RTW suits, so you can't expect the fit to be anything like bespoke would be.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
He wasn't the right presenter for the show"”he seemed to know nothing about suits and wasn't the type of person who would ever want to wear one.

The guy styling him in Topman was bloody awful.

Topman???????
facepalm.gif

Mac

Reaction score
Yes, they were in a bespoke tailor's shop and the presenter was amazed at all the choices, and I was sitting there thinking: "Yeah, standard."

Topman was awful, I can't actually imagine anyone wanting to walk around like that. It's like Pitti 2050. Except not as cool. And trying too hard.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennisguru
Is it just me or is Patrick Grant's beard trying to consume his face? Everytime I see him it seems to have expanded further!

cheers

tumblr_lnher88ROU1qzmowao1_400.gif

smile.gif

-TTO

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, producer Alastair Sooke had an article about his documentary in The Telegraph today: http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...fect-suit.html
Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted by culverwood
... the section on the DOW will please the American viewers...
I must admit thinking "SF would like this bit" when watching that segment.
Originally Posted by tennisguru
Is it just me or is Patrick Grant's beard trying to consume his face?
I lol'ed. He looks pretty cool in it though, I think.
Originally Posted by stuartlucas
Specifically I was looking for any info on where I could get a suit like the early edwardian one the presenter had on in the section with Eric Musgrove.
Tricky. Short of a lucky vintage/thrift find, and without spending a fortune, culverwood's suggestion of Bookster may be a good one. I don't own one of their garments myself, but they certainly have the kinds of heavier fabric that would have been more common in the past. Whether they have the block pattern to do you an Edwardian styled suit, I do not know.

stuartlucas

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out Bookster.

That Topman "stylist"!! He looked awful and once he'd finished with the presenter he looked awful as well. I had the impression that the guys main qualification for the job was being really really skinny.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Topman "stylist"!! He looked awful and once he'd finished with the presenter he looked awful as well. I had the impression that the guys main qualification for the job was being really really skinny.

Over in SW&D they are arguing that he was too fat for such a job!

GodAtum

Reaction score
His comments are interesting. Is a suit too stuffy and old fashioned or does it make a statement of timeless elegance and cool? For me I would only wear a suit to work. For formal dining some smart trousers and casual jacket. Casually, jeans and a casual jacket.

The suit at Topman, wont been seen dead wearing it in that style!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a newbie here and found the site after I googled about this programme.

Specifically I was looking for any info on where I could get a suit like the early edwardian one the presenter had on in the section with Eric Musgrove.

I guess a suit like that isn't available anywhere off the peg and I would need to get it made but any advice on a suitable tailor for a suit like that would be very welcome.

The last tailor I went to was more of a "mod" tailor (Threadneedle Man in Elephant and Castle) who was great but I don't think an Edwardian throwback would be up his street.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

off topic, how's this Threadneedle man as an alteration tailor, since I live near London bridge area, going there instead of central for alteration is a lot more convenient to me if this guy does things decently.

stuartlucas

Reaction score
I can't vouch for him on alterations. Sorry.
I've only been to him for one suit and nothing else. The suit was fine and he seems to have a loyal following. I went because he was recommended on Modculture.com. Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads