• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concerning what I should wear

Petezjunior

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on styleforum. I've recently been browsing around SoHo because I live so close to the city and saw a few brands that I loved. Unfortunately, like many brands around in SoHo, a lot of the clothes are meant for slim individuals. Unfortunately, I'm not that slim (5' 7", 165 pounds). I wouldn't say that I am overweight or anything, but I am certainly not slim. I carry some extra baggage but nothing too outstanding. I want to change brands and buy some higher quality clothing since I have the money to spend now. Instead of lurking around the mall, I was interested in companies such as APC and Gitman. I need a shirt that I can wear UNTUCKED with my nudies slim jims. J. Crew is an example of a clothing company that fits me decently (medium) and does not accentuate the waist area since slim clothing does that. Here is a photo of me wearing some clothes. my friends say I hide my waist area well but sometimes some shirts accentuate my waist which is something I do not want to do. Thanks a bunch.
2r5sw49.png

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are trying to "hide your baggage" then you actually are overweight. this isn't something you should be trying to "hide." go to the gym, lose the baggage, and then wear clothing that accentuates your fit body.

ice86x

Reaction score
eh.gif
Even in soho, I find it hard to find clothing that doesn't balloon out in the waist area and make my greek god athletic figure not stand out

Stillblade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petezjunior
I was wondering if you guys had any brand suggestions instead of slim clothing.
From the small amount of time I've spent here, it seems like this board is mainly populated by skinny ass dudes so you're not gonna get too much help here besides the "go to the gym" comments. Try out Ralph Lauren Black/Purple Label, Burberry, Brooks Brothers, etc... Really, just go to Bergdorf Goodman and check out what they got, most clothing brands in general don't really make too many of those super slim shirts. As for wearing untucked, see a tailor and get it hemmed if it's too long - not the biggest thing to worry about.

Violanation

Reaction score
Wow, some of these guys are lethal! However, I think I may be able to help you.

It appears that you may have a problem that many guys have. A short torso...

I too have this problem and find that when I go to some companies, I wear a small and others I wear a large...which is really annoying. What's your budget like? Although, my company caters to mostly slim fit designs, I find myself being able to wear a lot of clothing from zara that fits my body perfectly. PM me if you have some questions. I'd love to see what you have in your closet and can help you out if needed
smile.gif

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the reason you're getting so many "go to the gym" comments is 'cause you're very close to being at a good weight (10-15 lbs), and 95% of the time clothes look better on someone in shape. Plus, dropping stacks on nice clothing, then losing that ten pounds means you gotta start from square one. Since it sounds like you're starting from the sartorial square one, take this time to better your physical condition as well.

It's what I did, and it was one of my best decisions ever.

Petezjunior

Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is I gained quite a bit at college and my weight has been fluctuating. I was 135 in the beginning of this year and ended in 165. I actually used to wear small but now I'm wearing medium. It looks like I'm going to be wearing medium for a while so I need more suggestions. I want classic oxford shirts / sport shirts if possible. Not looking for j crew or club monaco.

also... my budget is around 100-150.

Petezjunior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harbin
what you need is a slim fit shirt with a taper and maybe darted. try a medium from Wolf vs Goat...it will be the look you are going for.

i thought wvg made slim clothing. looking at their website, looks like all their shirts are super slim...

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, you're going to have to post measurements of yourself or of a shirt that you like the fit of. those crappy pics don't help at all.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reedobandito
I think the reason you're getting so many "go to the gym" comments is 'cause you're very close to being at a good weight (10-15 lbs), and 95% of the time clothes look better on someone in shape. Plus, dropping stacks on nice clothing, then losing that ten pounds means you gotta start from square one. Since it sounds like you're starting from the sartorial square one, take this time to better your physical condition as well.

It's what I did, and it was one of my best decisions ever.

+1

Petezjunior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
dude, you're going to have to post measurements of yourself or of a shirt that you like the fit of. those crappy pics don't help at all.

alright well, like i said in the post a medium in j crew or banana republic fits me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads