• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Neighborhood Discussion

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Wow, really? Is this studio 200 sq. ft. or something?

I know people who live in studios, and they pay close to, or over, $3K (albeit in nice "luxury" buildings).

It's def small, there is no denying that, but for a single person, its fine. I dated this girl who paid what I do, had a 1-bedroom on 1st and 63rd, but she had no elevator and lived on the 4th floor... you can find good apartments in non-'luxury' buildings.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an apartment near 92nd street Y that was a huge 1-bedroom for $1,450. You can get a pretty good 1-bedroom for under $2,000. My friend lives on 85th and Lex and pays $1,600 for her 1 bedroom.

South of 23rd street can get pretty expensive.

You could move to the Hipster Frontier (Inwood) and pay $1,500 for a 2-bedroom.

svd

Reaction score
I live on the UES. Don't move here. I'm 35 and have kids, so it works.

If I was in my 20s and just moving to the city I'd move to East Village or Hell's Kitchen. Maybe keep an eye out for something on the outskirts of the LES or Tribeca but prices there will generally keep you out of the area.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few NYC relatives have told me Midtown East will have reasonably priced apartments because it is less "neighborhoody" than other parts of the city.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svd
I live on the UES. Don't move here. I'm 35 and have kids, so it works.

If I was in my 20s and just moving to the city I'd move to East Village or Hell's Kitchen. Maybe keep an eye out for something on the outskirts of the LES or Tribeca but prices there will generally keep you out of the area.

There are tons of 20-year-olds in the UES, especially in the 80's-to low 90's....!

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
I had an apartment near 92nd street Y that was a huge 1-bedroom for $1,450. You can get a pretty good 1-bedroom for under $2,000. My friend lives on 85th and Lex and pays $1,600 for her 1 bedroom.

South of 23rd street can get pretty expensive.

You could move to the Hipster Frontier (Inwood) and pay $1,500 for a 2-bedroom.

We pay considerably more for a 1-BR to live in Brooklyn (Park Slope)

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This discussion reminds me of those really boring conversations in NYC bars. This is all anyone wants to talk about.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
This discussion reminds me of those really boring conversations in NYC bars. This is all anyone wants to talk about.

Sounds just like DC except we talk about where we work.
musicboohoo[1].gif

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Sounds just like DC except we talk about where we work.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Having a "creative" job/business and living in D.C. makes for quite a number of odd discussions. The 'company man' mindset can be burdensome

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Girls love to approach me in bars. I guess I am fairly good looking, but always well dressed of course. They ask me what I do for living and then are immediately uninterested. I think they think I am a creative guy or something. Who knows. People ask me if I work in fashion a lot. It is ironic because I don't wear any designers.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Girls love to approach me in bars. I guess I am fairly good looking, but always well dressed of course. They ask me what I do for living and then are immediately uninterested. I think they think I am a creative guy or something. Who knows. People ask me if I work in fashion a lot. It is ironic because I don't wear any designers.

You probably look like a hipster.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

look up with hungry eyes and say "thermo nucular engineering with a specialty in heat transfer systems ... and you?"

if that doesn't work, default to hand model.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
look up with hungry eyes and say "thermo nucular engineering with a specialty in heat transfer systems ... and you?"

if that doesn't work, default to hand model.

Meh, I find it fun really. I got a lady who doesn't really understand what I do as it is and she couldn't really care either. I'm happy, but it is fun to observe as a social experiment.

These girls that work at this coffee shop asked me if I was a spy last week. I asked them, "wouldn't I want to blend in, then?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads