• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mram65
I know this topic has been approached before, but I'd like to know how you guys feel about cowboy boots. They seem to be coming back in style, with lots of big name celebs wearing them. The Backstreet Boys wear them often, and not a night goes by on the "E. Entertainment News" when you don't see Steve Kmetko wearing them.

They're looking really sharp of late, with super pointed toes, and radically underslung heels. Â I think they make a cool fashion statement.

Anyone out there a cowboy boot fan? Would like to hear your opinions.

High boots are uncomfortable to wear and hot esp. in summer. Even ankle boots shouldn't be bigger than 7" to be omfortable. Go to a store and try varying heights on and you'll see what I mean.

Barnabus

Reaction score
I like them. alot .I wear a pair i have here and there when i'm dressed down Eventually i think ill upgrade to a nicer pair down the road when i'm done buying other things.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are not particularly uncomfortable during hot weather. It is well to remember that they evolved and gained greatest popularity in the Southwest--where it is a lot hotter than most other parts of the US. And no, they're not as cool as an oxford, a slipper or a sandal.

It is also might be noted that there are people who could buy and sell the wealthiest SF member out of pocket, who consider cowboy boots as a viable and appropriate option for dress....ie. with a bespoke suit.

Possibly this POV dates back to an earlier time in European and American history when boots were more common and considered a status symbol and a mark of martial prowess.

TexasDan

Reaction score
I am not a native Texan, but have come to appreciate cowboy boots. I only wear them occasionally, but find them quite comfortable and not any more hot than other choices of footwear in the summer heat.

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
DWFII;4572052 said:
They are not particularly uncomfortable during hot weather. It is well to remember that they evolved and gained greatest popularity in the Southwest--where it is a lot hotter than most other parts of the US. And no, they're not as cool as an oxford, a slipper or a sandal.

It is also might be noted that there are people who could buy and sell the wealthiest SF member out of pocket, who consider cowboy boots as a viable and appropriate option for dress....ie. with a bespoke suit.

Must be nouveau riche because people have only been living in Texas (outside of Indians) for 150 years. Many of these people were originally **** poor farmers or may have owned some cattle and were lucky enough to hit oil or gold on their land. They're sort of like the Beverly Hillbillies. They may have a lot of money but it takes generations of breeding to acquire class.The Kennedy's were sort of like this too. Grandpappy Joe only made his money as reently as thr 1920's mostly from bootlegging and rooked stock manipulations before the SEC was established.

andrew96

Reaction score
I wear them, I'm not a cowboy but I am a country one. I have a southern accent, I believe that gives me permission. I wear it up north and I scare people.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
I am not from Texas and no one gives me permission to wear my boots. screw em....

I wear Lucchese Classics Elephant in Black and another pair Crocodile in Tobacco. I alspo have some Frye boots.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Pooter
Must be nouveau riche because people have only been living in Texas (outside of Indians) for 150 years. Many of these people were originally **** poor farmers or may have owned some cattle and were lucky enough to hit oil or gold on their land. They're sort of like the Beverly Hillbillies. They may have a lot of money but it takes generations of breeding to acquire class.The Kennedy's were sort of like this too. Grandpappy Joe only made his money as reently as thr 1920's mostly from bootlegging and rooked stock manipulations before the SEC was established.
A lot of Texas was settled by forward looking planters from the Southron Aristocracy or second sons who would not inherit. It is one of the reasons Texas was so sympathetic to the Confederacy. But beyond that, so what? Almost everybody here on SF is nouveau riche...or working class. People with bona fides--"bloodlines"--don't worry about "style" or any of the multitude of obsessions that are cultivated here. If the Duke of Rothesay wanted to wear cowboy boots to a white tie affair he would do so and not give it a second thought. He might even wear brown boots...

Swan Song

Reaction score
Not impressed with the suede?

Well, how about a red,white, and blue Tony Lama Bicentennial(1976) boot just in time for July 4th.

PreppyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GamaH
I have a question for everyone here; I've been searching for an answer for months (on and off, of course) to no avail, really.

1)\tWhat is the absolutely-bet-your-life-on-it-correct cm/inches-to-size chart? I have seen some VERY weird formulas for shoe sizing over the years.

Hi.

Cowboy Boots like shoes varies by Brand.

2) How true to size do Lucchese classics fit?

Now, I can't just subtract 1/2 sizes or whatnot from my normal shoe size, because honestly I do not know my actual shoe size. I wear mostly 7.5s, but they're laced and if they were loafers, they'd come right off. I have a pair of size 5 Dolce&Gabbana lace-ups, and they fit basically the same as my 7.5Patent lace-ups and Bucks from Brooks Brothers. This is the reason I asked for a definitive size-chart.
Lucchese boots are very narrow. If you have a wide foot you will need to try different styles of Lucchese to find the one that is most comfortable for your needs.

If you are flat-footed you may want to explore Charlie Horse which is Lucchese but offer a wider width.

Now, if some of you are wondering what the hell a Finn thinks he's doing by wearing cowboy boots. Well, I was *born* in Texas (not raised there though), so... yeah I'm not actually Finnish.

Anyway, I would try them on before buying but there are absolutely no cowboy boots being sold where I'm currently residing, nor in any of the countries I'll be residing in, in the near future, so online is my only hope.
Cowboy boots really needs to be tried on before purchasing for there are other things to take into account in terms of comfort in the long run. You cannot use a pair of shoes as a guideline for Cowboy Boots. Unless you don’t mind shipping boots to the vendor back and forth, first time buyers of Cowboy Boots is playing Russian Roulette buying on-line.

I own three pairs of Cowboy Boots and I am very happy with their performance.

Cheers!

PreppyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
A cowboy boot performance? Will there be spurs? STIRRUPS?!?!

By Performance I mean durability throughout the years under different climates in and about NYC.

If you would like to add spurs by all means do so. However, that type of accessory is only worn by a chosen few, who really want to have that authentic cowboy look.

Cowboy Boots generally look impressive without any added accessories.

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads