1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Mr.Pooter

Mr.Pooter Active Member

2. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

I wear them, I'm not a cowboy but I am a country one. I have a southern accent, I believe that gives me permission. I wear it up north and I scare people.

3. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

I am not from Texas and no one gives me permission to wear my boots. screw em....

I wear Lucchese Classics Elephant in Black and another pair Crocodile in Tobacco. I alspo have some Frye boots.

4. DWFII

DWFII Senior member

Must be nouveau riche because people have only been living in Texas (outside of Indians) for 150 years. Many of these people were originally shit poor farmers or may have owned some cattle and were lucky enough to hit oil or gold on their land. They're sort of like the Beverly Hillbillies. They may have a lot of money but it takes generations of breeding to acquire class.The Kennedy's were sort of like this too. Grandpappy Joe only made his money as reently as thr 1920's mostly from bootlegging and rooked stock manipulations before the SEC was established.
    A lot of Texas was settled by forward looking planters from the Southron Aristocracy or second sons who would not inherit. It is one of the reasons Texas was so sympathetic to the Confederacy. But beyond that, so what? Almost everybody here on SF is nouveau riche...or working class. People with bona fides--"bloodlines"--don't worry about "style" or any of the multitude of obsessions that are cultivated here. If the Duke of Rothesay wanted to wear cowboy boots to a white tie affair he would do so and not give it a second thought. He might even wear brown boots...

5. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

I'm back, glad to see this thread still active.

How about a chocolate rough-out from Caboots
    [​IMG]

6. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Not impressed with the suede?

Well, how about a red,white, and blue Tony Lama Bicentennial(1976) boot just in time for July 4th.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. PreppyBoy

PreppyBoy Well-Known Member

I have a question for everyone here; I've been searching for an answer for months (on and off, of course) to no avail, really.

1)\tWhat is the absolutely-bet-your-life-on-it-correct cm/inches-to-size chart? I have seen some VERY weird formulas for shoe sizing over the years.

Hi.

Cowboy Boots like shoes varies by Brand.

Lucchese boots are very narrow. If you have a wide foot you will need to try different styles of Lucchese to find the one that is most comfortable for your needs.

If you are flat-footed you may want to explore Charlie Horse which is Lucchese but offer a wider width.

Cowboy boots really needs to be tried on before purchasing for there are other things to take into account in terms of comfort in the long run. You cannot use a pair of shoes as a guideline for Cowboy Boots. Unless you don’t mind shipping boots to the vendor back and forth, first time buyers of Cowboy Boots is playing Russian Roulette buying on-line.

I own three pairs of Cowboy Boots and I am very happy with their performance.

Cheers!

8. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I own three pairs of Cowboy Boots and I am very happy with their performance.Cheers!
    A cowboy boot performance? Will there be spurs? STIRRUPS?!?!

9. PreppyBoy

PreppyBoy Well-Known Member

A cowboy boot performance? Will there be spurs? STIRRUPS?!?!

By Performance I mean durability throughout the years under different climates in and about NYC.

If you would like to add spurs by all means do so. However, that type of accessory is only worn by a chosen few, who really want to have that authentic cowboy look.

Cowboy Boots generally look impressive without any added accessories.

Cheers!

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Want to... need to.... can't resis....

11. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

A vintage Alligator (mid to late 1960s, I would guess) boot aged to a nice golden patina.

Probably made in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

I have a question for everyone here; I've been searching for an answer for months (on and off, of course) to no avail, really.

1) What is the absolutely-bet-your-life-on-it-correct cm/inches-to-size chart? I have seen some VERY weird formulas for shoe sizing over the years.

2) How true to size do Lucchese classics fit?

Now, I can't just subtract 1/2 sizes or whatnot from my normal shoe size, because honestly I do not know my actual shoe size. I wear mostly 7.5s, but they're laced and if they were loafers, they'd come right off. I have a pair of size 5 Dolce&Gabbana lace-ups, and they fit basically the same as my 7.5Patent lace-ups and Bucks from Brooks Brothers. This is the reason I asked for a definitive size-chart.

Now, if some of you are wondering what the hell a Finn thinks he's doing by wearing cowboy boots. Well, I was *born* in Texas (not raised there though), so... yeah I'm not actually Finnish.

Anyway, I would try them on before buying but there are absolutely no cowboy boots being sold where I'm currently residing, nor in any of the countries I'll be residing in, in the near future, so online is my only hope.

Good luck, you'll need it.

1) Doesn't exist. I wouldn't ever bet my life on something like that.
    2) Luchesse Classics fit differently depending on the last shape, typically indicated by the toe type.

My best suggestion is to visit Austin or some other Texan town (or best yet, El Paso where the Luchesse factory and factory store is) and try them on. It's also hard to get a feeling for what the exotic leathers look like online. For example, goatskin looks very nice and shiny online but when you see it in real life- it might be too shiny for your every day life. However, it looks like that isn't an option from your message. As a substitution, try talking to Allen Boots or hell, Zappos might have them and they generally will accept returns. I'd start with 7.5D and see where you went from there.

Luchesse Classics are really, really great boots. It's odd for me to look back at my post back in 2007 before I graduated from college and when I only had one pair of shitty boots- as a professional, I now have 3 pairs including one pair of Luchesses. Additionally, I did a 7 month stint in Boston and continued to wear them regardless- I will say that they did get some positive attention and a story to tell about being from Texas. Now, I'm not one to wear something just because I think girls will like it but I'll admit that it was a great conversation starter.

13. DWFII

DWFII Senior member

It's funny because 30 years ago I was making boots with a nearly identical chisel toe that is so in vogue with present day European shoes. And now I see on one of the bespoke maker's blogs that some "fashion forward" folks are fooling around with designs for shoes what have the old half box toe that I put on the first pair of boots I made for myself forty years ago. And I fell in love with that toe when I saw it on an old waddie's boots up in Idaho Springs five years before that. PS: goatskin is delicate...it's simply an older version of kidskin and kid might be the most delicate leather shoe or bootmakers use. When goat is shiny, the probability approaches unity that it is heavily "painted"--finished.

14. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Lucchese boot when they were still being made in San Antonio. Their classic chisiled (French) toe in calf, mule-ear pulls.

I bought them still in their box a few years ago. Nice, aged Cognac patina.
    [​IMG]

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

New boots for the Calgary Stampede: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Single piece of ostrich from South Africa for the vamp, kangaroo for the shaft. Double lined leather, steel shank, made in Calgary. Pricey but worth it.

16. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Love ostrich, love the color

Enjoy the Roundup.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

They look faggy. Are you from Texas? Because only steers and queers come from Texas. Which one are you?

18. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Custom boot by Ray Jones in Lampases, Tx. He retired in 1977, so made before that.

Happily for me, the original owner's grandson could not wear these, and the grandfather did not wear them many times.

Extremely high grade of French calf, gorgeous stitching, and signature toe bug.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Thought more would post their pictures.....so here is another of mine

Lucchese( San Antonio era) Hornback Lizard boots circa 1975-80

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

Swan, you have some amazing boots. If you're my size, would my mind bequeathing them to me when you kick off?