• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soporific Tie Pr0n

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
IMG_6523.jpg

I don't like the horizontal arrangement of the dots, much prefer diagonal.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am glad that this thread is still more or less on track. You people have good taste, or most of you.

What are your thoughts about seasonality when it comes to ties? Are there any general or specific rules/guidelines you follow?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
To me, these are some things which make soporific ties soporific:

This is a good list. I agree with most everything here.

Were you agreeing with me on my choices that PL posted? (I think so, just making sure
smile.gif
)

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are printed designs preferred over woven designs ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
What are your thoughts about seasonality when it comes to ties? Are there any general or specific rules/guidelines you follow?

I love to vary my ties seasonally. Primarily that means lots of wool and cashmere in fall/winter and lots of linen/cotton in spring/summer. Foo just proxied me two linens from Cappelli that I am digging.

Color also, I tend to wear lights, brights and pastels more in spring/summer.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love to vary my ties seasonally. Primarily that means lots of wool and cashmere in fall/winter and lots of linen/cotton in spring/summer. Foo just proxied me two linens from Cappelli that I am digging. Color also, I tend to wear lights, brights and pastels more in spring/summer.
Thank you, Manton. The seasons here vary quite a lot, and I also enjoy adjusting fabrics (and to a lesser extent colours) to the season. I kind of know how to do that with jackets, suits, trousers and shirts, but ties are somewhat unknown territory for me. I am very pleased with the grenadine garza fina tie a few pages back; I think it will look very nice with my cotton summer suit, though grenadine might be an autumn/winter fabric?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it will look very nice with my cotton summer suit, though grenadine might be an autumn/winter fabric?

To me, the type of weave of a solid silk tie doesn't determine seasonality, but the colour and pattern might. And I don't mean that dark ties are more FW even though light ties probably are more SS. For instance, the Italien Background seems good year round. And I think the sand coloured linen suit Spoo recently wore would have been great with a white shirt and a black silk knit tie.

So for silk ties (knits, twills, grenadines, etc) I'd say that their seasonality for a great deal comes down to the combining. Your dark brown garza fina will be FW'ish with a charcoal suit or a dark navy one, but I think it will be fine for SS with your lighter blue cotton suit.

Manton, it would be great to hear where you agree/disagree on the above.

(Btw NOBD, when you first asked about this I didn't get that it was for a wedding. Now, I know that you have the same preferences for solid soporific ties that I do, but I feel that this would have been a great opportunity to pick up a Wedding Tie. At the moment this is the one I have in mind for that.)

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Were you agreeing with me on my choices that PL posted? (I think so, just making sure
smile.gif
)

Yes, but while the remainder are more soporific they do not strike me as attractive. YMMV.
Color also, I tend to wear lights, brights and pastels more in spring/summer.
Can a spring tie be soporific soporific?
tongue.gif
Would love to see some examples.
Originally Posted by aj_del
No particular reason TBH, but if I had a gun pointed at my head I would say because they have the potential to be more discreet, and I rate discretion.
Originally Posted by Kaplan
So for silk ties (knits, twills, grenadines, etc) I'd say that their seasonality for a great deal comes down to the combining. Your dark brown garza fina will be FW'ish with a charcoal suit or a dark navy one, but I think it will be fine for SS with your lighter blue cotton suit.
I agree with this. A dark navy or black grenadine IMO goes as well with a tan linen suit as it does a grey flannel number.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Kaplan. That all makes sense to me.

Re: the (informal) wedding"”I like the one you picked (although it's blue and I'm already wearing a blue suit and white/blue shirt (gingham too...); I don't like the red or purple one). I didn't feel the need for a special wedding tie, though. I wanted this one to be a more general summer tie to go with this suit (and perhaps some summer jackets), and it turned out to be a great opportunity to try an MTvsO tie.

(vs=very special)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Yes, but while the remainder are more soporific they do not strike me as attractive. YMMV.

I also agree with this. They might be nice for someone, just not particularly me.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

- superior colors and patterns (high res as opposed to pixelated - good for both soporific and bold designs)

- tie better knots (more shape; wovens tie chunky shapeless knots)

- nicer to the touch if good quality silk (not that you feel the tie under the collar, but something that looks like it feels nice generally looks better)

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
..... I think it will look very nice with my cotton summer suit, though grenadine might be an autumn/winter fabric?
Grenadines are without a doubt a year-round fabric. Regarding fabrics and seasons there is a school of thought that considers the season/weather but is not controlled by it. As an example if it is the middle of winter with a snow storm outside I would not hesitate to wear a cheerful bright colored tie of any fabric if I was in a cheerful mood - or wanted to be. And in the middle of summer I have worn very dark and serious ties with the main decision making criteria being where I was going that day and how I felt not the season.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
- [printed silk ties] tie better knots [than woven silks] (more shape; wovens tie chunky shapeless knots) - nicer to the touch if good quality silk (not that you feel the tie under the collar, but something that looks like it feels nice generally looks better)
That's interesting. Theoretically, I would have said the opposite. Printed silk ties are always smooth twills, right? While woven silks can have a good deal of texture (all the way out to shantung or garza grossa). Wouldn't that mean that the randomly selected good woven tie will be more likely to tie a shapely knot than the randomly selected good print tie? Maybe we have different ideas of shapeliness? I lack a good definition of that. Just theoretical speculation, on my part. I only have a few good wovens and no good prints.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm generally in favor of wovens as they have more texture. To me the only advantage of prints is higher definition of the design, e.g. a Hermes print could not be executed in woven, but if we're talking soporific then those designs should be minimal and easy to execute in woven.

It depends on the pattern. Dots should always be woven. Flowers are a bit harder. Marinella-type prints look nice but it is possible to weave flowers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads