• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your weight loss

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i got decently cut up this year. trying to maintain it.. here's a pic for encouragement to others. i was a ***** last year just fyi.

Any cutting tips? I'm off to a slow start. I can bulk really well (with little fat gain), but I suck at cutting properly.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
To be fair, calorie counting works. Calorie in, calorie out is how you actually drop weight. Now having said that, there have been numerous studies that have shown that the average person grossly undercounts the amount of calories they actually consume. We simply loose track of these things or don't have a real idea of what we are eating.
I'm not denying that - I'm halfway between only eating whole foods vs calorie counting, but for guaranteeing consistent and effective fat/weight loss its the way to go. The problem is the dickwaving that happens on both sides - both proponents and detractors refuse to accept that different methods work better for different people. Any given dieting method is only as good as your adherence to it, the end.
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Any cutting tips? I'm off to a slow start. I can bulk really well (with little fat gain), but I suck at cutting properly.
Subtraction. Keep your activity levels and diet consistent, protein high, etc. simply take 10% away from your intake (maybe from starchy carbs?) and roll from there. imo getting into a "cutting" mindset immediately makes people hit the panic button, hitting up cardio 6x a week on a starvation diet. Not saying this is you, but given you bulk really well with minimal fat gain then if you simply take away from that one variable, you should do fine the other way.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
There should be a forum insta-ban for anything even tangentially related to carb intake, GI levels, meal frequency, and calorie counting.
ffffuuuu.gif

this is a weight loss thread, you think discussion is not bound to pop up? Hell you can't even take your own advice..

Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Yea I'm just going to say there's enough real world data (aside from my own experiences) that bunks what you're saying il ciclista. I probably should have mentioned that my lifts have held up or improved overall despite my weight loss.

And yea black coffee is a big help for me too... black coffee is my breakfast
smile.gif

CtK, I'm not trying to prove you wrong (more out of interest) do you have anything that suggest skipping breakfast doesn't slow your metabolism, store fat, burn muscle, etc? I'm fairly interested in seeing how this is explained.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
this is a weight loss thread, you think discussion is not bound to pop up? Hell you can't even take your own advice.. CtK, I'm not trying to prove you wrong (more out of interest) do you have anything that suggest skipping breakfast doesn't slow your metabolism, store fat, burn muscle, etc? I'm fairly interested in seeing how this is explained.
derp derp, sorry clown, maybe you haven't been around long enough to know that these topics have been beaten into the ground numerous times by numerous different people. part two of your post: www.leangains.com, again, something that has been covered in depth also, some more advice

Anthony01

Reaction score
I think eating habits,exercise and walk are the compulsory things to do .You have to be very careful about the food and avoid the fry food and some high protein including the sugar relevant and fats.
Try to eat simple vegetables,fruits and drink plenty of water .

Lucifer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
No, not everyone. I am addressing this specifically in response to being questioned the difference between a lack of willpower and a behavioral disorder.

What is universal is the misconception that all fat people get, and stay, that way because they lack the willpower to simply do anything about it. Telling an obese person that they ought to exercise more self control is akin to telling someone with osteoporosis to just stop having brittle bones; it does little in way of getting to the root of the problem.

This is easy to prove, right? Since we had just the same amount of fat people in Norway in 1850 as we do today, with pretty much the same gene material, it must be related to mental issues, not anything else....

Oh, wait, we don't have the same amount of fat people in Norway now as we did in 1850... omg.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
derp derp, sorry clown, maybe you haven't been around long enough to know that these topics have been beaten into the ground numerous times by numerous different people. part two of your post: www.leangains.com, again, something that has been covered in depth

also, some more advice

clown? lol wtf are you talking "derp derp" is that your marsupial talk coming out? I've only chimed in around page 4 because I was hoping to see some good inspiration not internet kids who track threads then call out the people who don't. Also thanks for the links I'll check it out, I couldn't skip a meal myself..for some reason i've been in the routine of the small meals thing and now if i skip a meal i feel really out of wack.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't skip a meal myself..for some reason i've been in the routine of the small meals thing and now if i skip a meal i feel really out of wack.

Well, tbh my post wasn't all that informative. What I was merely trying to convey was that meal frequency is really not an issue and comes really down to preference. So if you're comfortable with, say, smaller meals and having breakfast, that's cool. So is having bigger meals and not eating breakfast.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last summer I went from ~186 to 160 in about 2 months by crash dieting and smoking cigarettes. After I lost the weight I had a major lifestyle change in which I started lifting weights and ended up at 165-170 and I had put on a good bit of muscle from training with my dad (who is shredded).

Anyways, stopped lifting from January to May and wound up at 165 with a good bit less muscle and bit of a gut. For the last week or 2 I have been doing HIIT and weight lifting and I expect to be back where I was in January a month from now. Overall, I have my diet dialed in a lot more and I'm doing some much different things with diet this go-round and should be able to bulk up and cut to be exactly where I want by my wedding in October.

Gaifeadunda

Reaction score
buy Phoslo mastercard without prescription online buy Caduet mastercard Canada where to buy generic Clozaril online without a prescription Cheapest Imdur online buy Arcoxia mastercard in Jacksonville Cleocin buy fedex no rx cod Vasotec Seroquel without rx medications purchase Colcrys over the counter cod overnight buy Benzac mastercard in Jacksonville Sporanox on line cash on delivery order Lotemax usa cod order Microzide without a rx overnight shipping Nimotop next day Geodon online uk Bystolic without prescription medications buy Glucophage Xr offshore no prescription fedex purchase Brethaire free consultation free Cartia Xt buy Tenormin mastercard in Sydney

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CtK, I'm not trying to prove you wrong (more out of interest) do you have anything that suggest skipping breakfast doesn't slow your metabolism, store fat, burn muscle, etc? I'm fairly interested in seeing how this is explained.

Leangains.com is a clusterfuck I don't have the patience to search through, but there is something there about a study that shows meal timing doesn't matter, and that lower meal frequency is better for blood sugar. Also on LG is a review of a study on the metabolic effects of fasting... the study showed that peak fat loss rates occurred between the 12th and 18th hours of a fast, and then trailed off into something unproductive (in the context of bodybuilding). W/a 16 hour fast, a 9 to 5 job and any kind of social life, this leaves about an 8 hour window, which works much better when including dinner & skipping breakfast than the opposite.

Admittedly though, many people on IF "cheat" by starting the day with a cup of coffee. I have been for a couple of months now, and I don't know if it's my new dependency on coffee or truth in the importance of consuming something within ~3-4 hours of waking up, but I def couldn't skip breakfast without it & function 100%.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly though, many people on IF "cheat" by starting the day with a cup of coffee.

It's pretty common among us humans to do this.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really do IF anymore, at least not intentionally. I seem to still have pretty good results from just eating when I feel hungry.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leangains.com is a clusterfuck I don't have the patience to search through, but there is something there about a study that shows meal timing doesn't matter, and that lower meal frequency is better for blood sugar. Also on LG is a review of a study on the metabolic effects of fasting... the study showed that peak fat loss rates occurred between the 12th and 18th hours of a fast, and then trailed off into something unproductive (in the context of bodybuilding). W/a 16 hour fast, a 9 to 5 job and any kind of social life, this leaves about an 8 hour window, which works much better when including dinner & skipping breakfast than the opposite.

Admittedly though, many people on IF "cheat" by starting the day with a cup of coffee. I have been for a couple of months now, and I don't know if it's my new dependency on coffee or truth in the importance of consuming something within ~3-4 hours of waking up, but I def couldn't skip breakfast without it & function 100%.

why is coffee cheating?

no calories no insulin = all good

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
why is coffee cheating?

no calories no insulin = all good

It's not outright cheating as it's all natural + has no bad effects. But I think IF/dieting would be pretty much impossible without it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads